Running Information Forums
Sub 40 Min Training - Printable Version

+- Running Information Forums (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Training Zone (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-The-Training-Zone)
+--- Forum: 10K Training Feedback (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-10K-Training-Feedback)
+--- Thread: Sub 40 Min Training (/Thread-Sub-40-Min-Training)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

Sub 40 Min Training - TheEd - 10-07-2010

OK .. that is good news .. and yes, a sharp pain to the area when getting a bash to the heel is definitely not good

I am seriously considering asking you to go for a light 20 minutes without the 'inserts'

Cheers

TheEd

Sub 40 Min Training - ihenman - 10-07-2010

Will give it a try and report back.

Sub 40 Min Training - ihenman - 12-07-2010

I didn't do the test run w/o the insoles yet. I did do a 50 min easy run yesterday and I'm feeling pretty good today, going to take today off though.

I thought about the inserts over the weekend and truthfully I cannot recall if things got a ton better or not after I got them or not.

The thing that has made the biggest difference the last few days is: my posture, engaging my core while running, picking up my feet rather then pushing off hard and running with my arms more relaxed and brush my hips lightly.

I will try running without the inserts though if you feel i would be better off without them.

Tomorrow I was going to try a couple km warm up and then 4 x 2k.

Sub 40 Min Training - TheEd - 13-07-2010

when we have aches and pains it is often related to fatigue and just as a car doesn't run well when their is a puncture, we don't add anything extra to the car instead we fix the problem

inserts often stop the natural roll of the foot which then leads to other problems

unfortunately, there are so many factors involved in what causes niggles and I can state that I am not a fan of doing anything 'unnatural' that can create problems down the road, being it total motion control shoes and the like etc

hope this is not too much 'googly gook'

TheEd

Sub 40 Min Training - ihenman - 13-07-2010

Theory makes sense to me.

I tried something this morning, dunno if it was smart or not, I took thr inserts out for my 4 x 2k workout.

It didn't feel bad really. My shin is a bit sore but it was probably the hardest workout I've done all year including my 3 races. I fond it more difficultto keep good form during those intervals so this is something I need to concentrate on in my longer running.

Also I ended up doing them faster then I had anticipated. Will post times later after I download from watch.

Ian

4 x 2k results. I did these on a trail near my house and the final one partially on the trail then partially on side walk back to my neighbourhood. There was some hill on the last one and my legs were dead.

I didn't have my times as I was doing them, my new watch didn't display pace I only saw them after all 4 were complete. Next time I will back these off a bit and aim for consistency rather then all out speed.

REP1 - 7:22 - AVG HR 167
REP2 - 7:39 - AVG HR 176
REP3 - 7:49 - AVG HR 183
REP4 - 8:17 - AVG HR 180 (this was the rep with the hills)

-Ian

keep monitoring your legs over the next few days and take rest where needed

you have the long run coming up and then the 1000's thereafter it should be a great deal easier

TheEd

Quick questions on upcoming days. Am I hurting the effectiveness by making the changes below. I am taking the 30 min easy runs out of the mix for now, and using a point you mentioned a couple of weeks ago about reducing my long runs by 20% for now since I haven't had a long run over 60 minutes yet.

Tomorrow - Off
Thur - Long run (taking 20% off approx 70 Mins on feet time)
Fri - Off
Sat - 10K Easy running
Sun - Off
Mon - 1000's
Tues - Off
Wed - 60 Min Easy
Thur - Off
Fri - 5 K Sub 20 Min

Appreciate the input

-Ian

OK .. let me know how it goes

TheEd

Sub 40 Min Training - ihenman - 19-07-2010

Just a quick update. I've done the long run and the 1000's this morning.

The long run went well, I cut 20% off the top and ended at about 72 Minutes on feet and 13.86 K

For the 1000's this morning I decided to cut one off like I did last week for the 2000's. So I ran 5X 1K rather then 6X.

I also did these on the track which was really forgiving to the legs and I think aided for WAY faster times then I expected.

Here's the splits.

REP1 – 3:22 – AVG HR 164
REP2 – 3:14 – AVG HR 173
REP3 – 3:16 – AVG HR 178
REP4 – 3:15 – AVG HR 181
REP5 – 3:28 – AVG HR 183

These are again too fast I believe for me to be getting the benefit from them, what do you think?

I was pretty worn by the last one and could've probably pulled out a 6th in the 3:30-3:45 range, but I am guessing consistency is the key here right?

Rest of this week I have planned:
Tomorrow: 30 Min Easy
Wed: 60 Min Easy
Thur: OFf
Fri: 5K under 20 min Goal

Thoughts and feedback?

Thanks,

Ian

PS I have been running now since last Tuesday without the inserts in my shoes and I have to say I believe it is better. Now I have also made two major adjustments to my running technique including the arm swing you told me about as well as standing taller but with good stretching, still ice after hard works, things seem to be going much better with the shin.