Running Information Forums
Sub 45 Minute 10K Training - Printable Version

+- Running Information Forums (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Training Zone (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-The-Training-Zone)
+--- Forum: 10K Training Feedback (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-10K-Training-Feedback)
+--- Thread: Sub 45 Minute 10K Training (/Thread-Sub-45-Minute-10K-Training)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

Sub 45 Minute 10K Training - dmw9255 - 05-07-2010

I have recently started running and have entered in a 10K run in October, I was hoping for a time of under 45 minutes and believed this was going to be difficult but achievable, especially with the training time ahead.

Yesterday I completed a 10K run, and completed in 46m 08s. This was around 6 minutes quicker than I had hoped for. The reason for this was due to never running any race previously.

My splits are included below:

Lap Lap Time HR Avg Dist
1. 04:33.9 ---> 169 BPM 1k
2. 04:42.7 ---> 171 BPM 1K
3. 09:22.5 ---> 175 BPM 2K
4. 04:39.1 ---> 177 BPM 1K
5. 04:40.4 ---> 181 BPM 1K
6. 09:26.7 ---> 183 BPM 2K
7. 04:21.2 ---> 189 BPM 1K
8. 04:19.4 ---> 192 BPM 1K

During the final 2k I tried to increase my pace as I felt I still had some energy left, and felt I was probably at my limit at the end.

Now I have this time I would like to get a time around 43 minutes if possible in October. I am not sure if this is possible, and wondered if the sub 45 minute training plan would be suitable for me.

I have 5 weeks before I was planning on starting the schedule, and was going to complete 3 cycles??

Does this sound sensible??

Best Regards.

Dean.

Sub 45 Minute 10K Training - TheEd - 05-07-2010

Hi Dean and welcome to the forums

to start on the sub 45 minute 10 km schedule should be in order, especially of you ran the 10km on an accurate course

what I do need to know more about is the kind of routine you currently doing, please?

Your longest run
How often you train
Have you done any quality training previously
Have you any aches or pains currently

once we have a little more data we can see what we can put together for you using the sub 45 program as a framework changing things to suit you more

Cheers

TheEd

TheEd,

Thanks for the response.

Currently I am training 4 times per week as follows:

Monday - run for around 45-50 minutes at a comfortable pace (usually around 11-12km/h).

Tuesday - Upper body weight training (45 minutes), then 30 minutes cardio medium / light intensity. Either running or cross trainer.

Wednesday - Rest.

Thursday - Upper Body weight training (45 minutes), then interval training 15x1m with 1m rest (15.5km/h x 9.0km/h).

Friday - Rest.

Saturday - Upperbody weight training, then 30-40 minutes cardio medium / light intensity. Either running or cross trainer.

Sunday Rest.

I work away frequently so my midweek session will sometimes be changed to suit my conditions and ability to train.

This is the only training I have done, been trying this for around 1 month. Prior to this did classes in the gym, including spinning, circuit training and also weight training. All excercise has been for fun, as I hate the thought of not being fit. This is the first time I have focused my execise on a target.

I am 35 years old, weight is 66kg. Resting HR of 52 BPM. I have suffered from Achilles tendonitis, which now does not seem to be an issue.

Previous to the race on sunday I had never ran 10k at all, even during training, and I believe the course was accurate as it was done by a recognised local running club.

Best Regards.

Dean.

magic about the accuracy of the 10km then we can certainly work off that

we need to try keep the fun in things and to work around the quality of the program which is the 2km and 1km sessions

the long run you seem to be on top of already

so starting with the sub 45 minute program is a go

Thursday you can consider doing the 2km session at the pace provided in the program

4x2k Rest 90 seconds to 2min pace 8min 50 (which is 4.25 per km)

provide feedback of the session and then we can balance the rest of the training till the 1km session

Cheers

TheEd

OK, thanks.

My plan for this week was a 30 minute easy run, Tuesday & Wednesday (skipped the long run) for recovery, then a long run Thursday......rest friday, then back into things Saturday, but I am willing to implement the program immediately if recomended.

I will try the 4 x 2k on Thursday and provide feedback, just need to find a suitable place to run, as I will be travelling in Italy and if it is anything like last week will have to run with temps in the mid 30s.

How many cycles of this routine can I complete before I need to take a rest?? As I have around 14 weeks until the run I want to target, three of these are vacation with the family in two weeks time......

Thanks for the assistance.

Best Regards.

Dean.

Dean .. the 2k session will provide a lot of handy feedback as well as giving you more of an idea of what is to come

we can always rehash things thereafter

TheEd

OK, I have my routes planned, watch programmed, will post on Thursday evening.

Best Regards.

Dean.

Sub 45 Minute 10K Training - dmw9255 - 07-07-2010

I had a very easy run last night, and my legs felt incredibly sluggish, got another easy run again tonight, not sure I will be able to achieve the 4 x 2k on Thursday if the legs have not improved tonight......

Seems the 10K run took more out of than I thought.......

Will report back tonight.

Dean.

Sub 45 Minute 10K Training - TheEd - 07-07-2010

no problems Dean better safe than sorry

TheEd

Sub 45 Minute 10K Training - dmw9255 - 07-07-2010

TheEd,

The legs were definately better tonight, but not 100%.

I plan on doing an easy 45 minute run tomorrow, as the temp here in Italy is likely to be in the mid 30s and with the legs not perfect do not want to over do it. On Saturday I can do the 4 x 2K, or a 4K time trial if required, I am assuming this is for analysis?

I can post my HRM data for closer scrutiny if required, this will include HR, distance, time, altitude and also cadence. If you require, I can post from sundays race??

Let me know what you recommend for Saturday.

Best Regards.

Dean.