Running Information Forums
Which program should I use ? - Printable Version

+- Running Information Forums (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Training Zone (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-The-Training-Zone)
+--- Forum: 10K Training Feedback (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-10K-Training-Feedback)
+--- Thread: Which program should I use ? (/Thread-Which-program-should-I-use)

Pages: 1 2 3

Which program should I use ? - torun10k - 09-08-2010

Hi,

I just completed a 14km race using a different training program and have come across your website in search of a new program (the program has not really suited me).

My current 5k pace is just under 30mins and my 10km pace is 1 hour 5 mins. I am looking to improve this time but you seem to have no program for this. would you suggest that I do the sub 50 program or just do the training program for the first 10km...

Thanks

Which program should I use ? - TheEd - 09-08-2010

welcome torun10k .. I sincerity I would recommend going with the routine of

Prepare for your first 10 km

and you are welcome to provide feedback from training on that schedule and hopefully thereafter we can 'reshuffle' the schedule to aim at a sub 1hr 10 km

the main focus of the sub 50 minute schedules is 'faster running' built around the 2k and 1k sessions

so give the First 10km a go and then it should lead to further structure for you

Hope this helps

TheEd

Which program should I use ? - torun10k - 09-08-2010

Thanks for the reply TheEd

Just wondering is it ok to cross train (i.e bike ride, swim) on the rest/stretch days ???

I will plan to start the training on Sat as I wanted to give myself some recovery time from the race as I only did it yesterday, and Sat is the only day I can do longer runs at the moment. Will probably do some walking and possibly a 5k run on friday in preperation for the training.

toRun10k

Which program should I use ? - TheEd - 09-08-2010

you can do cross training however I stress the importance of good technique in the saddle to gain the benefits from cycling

if you have poor technique it will have a negative impact on your legs, instead of enhancing recovery it will cause further muscle fatigue

swimming is always fine as it is non weight bearing

hope this helps

TheEd

Which program should I use ? - torun10k - 10-08-2010

Hi TheEd

Found a 10k race on the 12th september,

Should I wait to start the training program on the 17th august which would have me on day 6 week4 (running 10k route or event) on the race day.

If I wait that long what should I do in the mean time??? (Have recovered better than expected from the 14km and am looking to start back training in the next day or so)

Which program should I use ? - TheEd - 10-08-2010

you are able to start the program this week and provide feedback and then we will run you through the race in September and set you up for what comes next

Cheers

TheEd

Which program should I use ? - torun10k - 10-08-2010

Thanks The Ed

Will let you know how I go

Which program should I use ? - torun10k - 12-08-2010

Hi again,

Started program yesterday, was really good to be running again (took it nice and easy). did the streches today.. everything is progressing well so far.

Just a quick question, day 4 says to run 5k at a pace 30 secs slower than last 5k. does that mean 30 secs slower per K (i.e if I run each k in 6mins then I should do each K in 6m.30s)or 30 secs slower overall (i.e if it took me 30mins to run 5 k then I sould run it in 30m30secs)?

Thanks
torun10k

Which program should I use ? - TheEd - 12-08-2010

for you .. take the last race you ran the speed for that for 10km half it and then subtract 30 seconds from that time to give you a 5km pace time

hope this makes sense

TheEd

Which program should I use ? - torun10k - 31-08-2010

Hi The Ed,

Have had to take some time off as I have had a really sore knee. Sad The pain seems to be almost gone now and was just wondering what you would sugest to ease back into my running program.

I think at this stage the 10km run in september is probably not achievable so I will aim for one that is on the 2nd of oct.

Thanks
torun10k