Running Information Forums
Advice needed please - Printable Version

+- Running Information Forums (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Training Zone (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-The-Training-Zone)
+--- Forum: 10K Training Feedback (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-10K-Training-Feedback)
+--- Thread: Advice needed please (/Thread-Advice-needed-please)

Advice needed please - Gus - 28-09-2010

Very good morning,

I have only recently discovered this website and found it extremely useful – thank you.

Whilst I do appreciate that this particular thread has been discussed countless times, I would however like to get a bit of personal advice.
I was thinking to start the Sub 45 programme however, before doing this, I want to be sure that I’m on the right track. I have been running for the past 15 years or so, however I have never followed any kind of programme (actually I did for a small period of time but only because I was a football referee and we had a coach who arranged training schedules for us). Basically, I go out every single morning at 6am and do approximately 8.5k at a rather easy pace (about 5.30 per km), but on a Sunday I normally increase my distance to approximately 13k [keeping the same pace]. In the last month or so, I have tried to increase my pace and a couple of days ago I ran 10km in about 47 minutes. I would really love to improve my performances and start to get into something serious but, as I said above, I want to be sure to follow the correct schedule.

Would you advise the Sub 45 or should I start with the Sub 50 and see how it goes? Moreover, I don’t normally do rest days and I was wondering whether this may have a negative impact on my performances?

With thanks in advance.

Advice needed please - TheEd - 28-09-2010

Hi Gus and welcome to the forums

it looks as though you have a fairly good background and should find going onto the sub 45 minute 10 km program
http://www.time-to-run.com/training/10k/sub45.htm

structure quite easily.

Rest is most important for any form of exercising and allows the body to take on a further load after the planned break, it also allows for better preparation for competition.

What you could do is run a 4 km time-trial (best on a 400m tartan track) on a route you will use for training once on the program

once we have that feedback I shall be able to structure the 'paced' sessions more to your needs

Are you considering participating in any running events, because if yes, then you need to give the dates of the competitions you would like to enter, so we can tailor the program more to those needs as well

Cheers till your reply

TheEd

Hi TheEd,

Thanks very much indeed for your swift response.

I will feedback to you once I get chance to complete the required test [on the tartan track].

As we speak, I haven't got any race planned, however I would still love to increase / improve my current pace and follow a structured plan in order to achieve this.

I understand about the importance of having rest yet, funnily enough, I haven't had a single day off for ages!

Many thanks,

Gus

good stuff

taking rest days provides freshness and rest days are often added to get the benefits of hard training without over training as well as freshening up before races

If one is not testing oneself for improvement then the rest would not seem necessary but plays a very important role in achieving 'peak' performances

Cheers

TheEd

Hi!

I was just flicking through the recommended Sub 45 schedule and, with my apologies for being thick [or perhaps just tired], I don't seem to understand the following:

03 start with 4x2k R90-2min 8min 50 (4.25 per k)

or

08 start with 6x1k R60 - 90 4min 10 to 4min20

The last bit, really - ie. 8min 50 or 4min 10 to 4min20

Sorry and thanks in advance for the assistance provided.

Gus

4x2k R90-2min 8min 50 (4.25 per k)

this session is 4 times 2000m Rest 90 seconds to 2 minutes between each 2k repeat .. the pace is 4 min 25 per km which = 8 minutes 50 seconds

and then the 1000m session

6x1k R60 - 90 4min 10 to 4min20

6 times 1000m with 60 to 90 seconds Rest between each 1k repeat .. the pace 4 minutes 10 to 4 minutes 20 seconds

however from your 4k test feedback we will change the pace of these sessions accordingly

TheEd

Thank you -as usual- and I hope to get the 4k test done as soon as possible. In fairness, I could get it done on my usual morning route however, due to its nature (a couple of steep hills etc.), I would rather prefer the running track (there's one literally 2 miles away from here, but it opens at 7am which is a bit too late for me as odd as it sounds - will do my best though).

Advice needed please - TheEd - 29-09-2010

till then .. training on a 400m track with 100m splits teaches one superb pace judgement which makes racing easy, so if you are in someway able to make the most of the nearby track then you will reap the benefits

Cheers

TheEd