Running Information Forums
Going for 21k in May 2011 - Printable Version

+- Running Information Forums (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Training Zone (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-The-Training-Zone)
+--- Forum: 10K Training Feedback (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-10K-Training-Feedback)
+--- Thread: Going for 21k in May 2011 (/Thread-Going-for-21k-in-May-2011)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Going for 21k in May 2011 - K4marathon - 25-01-2011

Thanks. Good call about the sleep. I try to keep it close to 8 hours but I admit that I quite often slip to less, between 6 and 7. Not sure if it's enough really, even if I do not generally feel tired.

OK, will do my best in the Fartlek next week. Let's see what it brings to me...

I today also studied some details of my earlier runs, and I think I can see progress even if it does not feel so much. E.g. today I did the 5 * 1000m with 90s rest in exactly the same conditions as I did almost two months ago. And I think I can see an improvement in the HR:
2.12.2010: Total time (including 360s rest): 30:07, Ave HR: 158
25.1.2011: Total time (including 360s rest): 29:45, Ave HR: 152

And looking at the details, my HR across the whole run is clearly lower now than in the earlier case. So I conclude that there is a good development, but not extremely fast...

Let's stay in touch!

K4m Smile

Going for 21k in May 2011 - TheEd - 26-01-2011

yes most definitely an improvement .. train steadily and avoid problems and your event will be a success

the pulse can often vary (be higher) .. so when the pulse is higher than normal in the morning and if you have not had regular (good) sleep patterns then be cautious on that day as all training pulses would be slightly higher

enjoy

TheEd

Going for 21k in May 2011 - K4marathon - 28-01-2011

Thanks for the comments

As I now have 14 weeks to my target 21k run, is there anything I should change in the training or should I stick to the 10k sub 50 until the race day? That would mean four more full cycles in addition to my current one that is half-way now. Since the target is to run 21k in 1:50, I should be able to run the whole race at 5:15 per km (or maybe first 10k at 5:30 and the end a bit harder?). It sounds like a stretch for me at the moment but since there is still time left I am very confident. I just wonder if I should take any race-pace exercise into my program, ie starting running longer runs at 5:30 or so pace? Maybe try to pace the "longest run" to this pace? Just a thought. What do you think?

K4m

Going for 21k in May 2011 - TheEd - 29-01-2011

at the end of each 3 week cycle there is normally a re-assessment in the form of a 4k time-trial or race, this then sets up the pace for the next 3 week cycle

so feedback determines the progressive development of the pace accordingly

enjoy

TheEd

Going for 21k in May 2011 - K4marathon - 29-01-2011

OK, I see.

What kind of race do you recommend for me? 4k or something else? It would be next Saturday according to the schedule.

Another topic is that in the last weeks I have slightly prolonged the "5k paced run". The previous time three weeks ago I ran 6k and today I again had that event in the program and now I run 7k in 33:40, i.e. keeping the same pace you recommended before, 4:50. My HR average was decent at 161bpm although it was quite a tough run. I was thinking of adding 1k each time, so in 3 weeks from today I'd be running 8k and so on.
Do you think this is a good idea to increase this distance or should I stick to running 5k only?

BR,

K4m

Going for 21k in May 2011 - TheEd - 30-01-2011

the main focus should be on the simple development of consistency and then the opportunity of doing the 4k time-trial at present

with improvement in the 4k pace comes further development in the training

whereas the 21km is a slightly more long-term goal the short-term goal is to find consistency in the training cycles

achieve the short-term goals and the long-term goal will be achieved

if you try to look for signs of improvement in your training all the time you become focused on that, whereas with the program development everything falls into place naturally by providing all the ingredients needed to develop

it is a more patient approach and from coaching experience it is the one that always gets the results

onwards and forwards

TheEd

Going for 21k in May 2011 - K4marathon - 01-02-2011

I guess you are right. I will try to keep it consistent and clear and we'll see the results as they come. My next race will be on Saturday. I should be able to do it outdoor hopefully unless it gets icy in Dallas where I will be for the week starting Thursday. Today was Fartlek and I felt a bit difficult to find the righ pace there (always too fast or slow), but otherwise fine. It felt a bit short but I'm sure it is good to take it easy the first times.

Going for 21k in May 2011 - TheEd - 02-02-2011

finding the right pace will improve with experience

enjoy Dallas

TheEd

Going for 21k in May 2011 - K4marathon - 13-02-2011

Hello TheEd,

I did the 4k run in Dallas last weekend. The conditions were not ideal, still somewhat suffering from jet lag and unhealthy lifestyle while on vacation. I did the run in 18:08, and I assume I could take a little off that when rested and better prepared. An ok result for me I think.

The whole last 2 weeks have been very irregular in my training due to traveling etc, with unhealthy food and drinking. Therefore I did a very slow recovery run yesterday, and the longest 1:45 run today. Today's run was really great. Due to the very cold weather, I did it on the indoor 400m track. I decided to run from the beginning with a lap speed of 2:12 (5:30 per km), and to try to see if I can run 1:45 at that speed. It worked well and I clocked 48 laps, i.e. 19,2 km in 1:44:04. It was very tough but I felt it was a good run. I plan to enter my half marathon in May at this speed 5:30, so it gives me confidence to see that I can maintain that speed. Obviously I still want to get even faster on the back 10k part, but for now I am very happy with this result.

Speak to you soon,

K4m

Going for 21k in May 2011 - TheEd - 13-02-2011

almost a minute quicker than when you started, so definitely a lot of positives to take out of that despite feeling you could do better ..

so .. well done

:laugh: 48 laps on a track .. you a brave man

from this alone the 21k should be a breeze if you have no setbacks

again .. nice going .. let's look to get some consistency and the better results will come

TheEd