Running Information Forums
what now? - sub 45 minute 10k or half marathon trg? - Printable Version

+- Running Information Forums (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Training Zone (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-The-Training-Zone)
+--- Forum: 10K Training Feedback (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-10K-Training-Feedback)
+--- Thread: what now? - sub 45 minute 10k or half marathon trg? (/Thread-what-now-sub-45-minute-10k-or-half-marathon-trg)

what now? - sub 45 minute 10k or half marathon trg? - bankie - 20-11-2010

Hello TheEd! I'm Relatively new to running and after just my second 3 week session on the sub 50 10k programme I went 49:36 last race day. So what next? Logic suggests stepping it up but I might aim for a series of halfs in the spring. Advice welcome? Best, Bankie

what now? - sub 45 minute 10k or half marathon trg? - TheEd - 20-11-2010

Hi and welcome to the forums bankie

OK .. going towards the sub 45 minutes 10km program should be 'doable'

however we will need to change the pace of the intervals

so for the session - 4x2k R90-2min 9min 30 to 9 min 40 (4.45 to 4.50 per k)

with the 6x1k R60 - 90 4min 35 to 4min40 per km

other than that how have your longer runs been and your recovery between sessions? Have you been able to do the sub 50 program without any complications?

Cheers and congrats

TheEd

what now? - sub 45 minute 10k or half marathon trg? - bankie - 21-11-2010

TheEd,

tks for the advice. This suggests an incremental approach towards sub-45min rather than starting on the sub-45min programme outlined on the site?

I've been very surprised overall with the programme as I have attained the goal much quicker than I would have imagined. My pace on each of the four longer runs has become successively quicker: 5:40p/km with the last on (20km distance - 108mins) being 5:20p/km.

I have felt very comfortable on the longer runs whilst I struggle to make a sub 25min time for 5km! But certainly no complications, stresses, injuries or otherwise.

Best, Bankie.

what now? - sub 45 minute 10k or half marathon trg? - TheEd - 21-11-2010

great bankie .. you can start Day 1 Tuesday and Thursday can be the first 2000m session ... if you feel good after the first 3 week cycle then we can be happy to up the tempo

Have you any races coming up in the near future?

Cheers

TheEd

what now? - sub 45 minute 10k or half marathon trg? - bankie - 21-11-2010

TheEd - no runs planned, in fact never done one! But was really taken by how I felt after my `time on feet' runs (nearly 18 and 20kms respectively) and so keen to do one. Watched Cardiff half on telly this morning and fancy a nice flat run instead of all the hills here! Any recommendations? Will plan Day 1 for Tue. Best, Bankie.

what now? - sub 45 minute 10k or half marathon trg? - TheEd - 22-11-2010

bankie .. I shall work on learning more about the various events in the UK when we develop - http://www.time-to-run.co.uk further as currently my knowledge of all the decent events is a little scratchy ([SIZE="1"]being based in the South of Sweden and all[/SIZE]) Wink

however between the 2 of us we should rack up a list of decent events in no time

enjoy the start of the program

TheEd

what now? - sub 45 minute 10k or half marathon trg? - bankie - 19-12-2010

Hi Ed,

well, I started off with good intentions on the sub 45 prog but a week in I caught cold and in line with the guidance of others, stopped running. That was 10 days ago. What's best now? Start where I left off or commence on the off period schedule? In truth, running this coming week will be difficult given Christmas visitors and the continuing icy conditions underfoot. Best, Bankie.

what now? - sub 45 minute 10k or half marathon trg? - TheEd - 19-12-2010

it all depends on how much running you can do in the present circumstances weather wise

now you need to determine where you are fitness wise and then start building up again

we don't recommend for you to go on the Build Up program as that is reserved for those who have been training on the 10km programs already and have progressed to there

what I would suggest is for to start over and get some running in .. a few 20 to 30 minute runs at a relaxed pace

once you have at least 8 runs under your belt, you do not have to run everyday, you can have one day one day off if you so choose

however once you have 8 runs under your belt you can then see if you can step up a little further

during this time you should hope to have no further setbacks

Cheers

TheEd