Running Information Forums
Can i still do it ??? Advice needed - Printable Version

+- Running Information Forums (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Training Zone (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-The-Training-Zone)
+--- Forum: 10K Training Feedback (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-10K-Training-Feedback)
+--- Thread: Can i still do it ??? Advice needed (/Thread-Can-i-still-do-it-Advice-needed)

Can i still do it ??? Advice needed - SpeedQueen - 13-01-2011

Can anybody assist me with some advice? I would like to run a sub 45 min 10k.

I started running when I was 14 and ran throughout high school usually five to six days a week. When I was 18 I ran a 10k in 43 mins. To cut a long story short, I quit running for five years. I'm now 25 years old and am wondering if I still have what it takes to run under 45 again or am i too old now?

I ran a 10k last week Saturday in 56 mins but have only really been training for a month now.

Can i run under 45 if i put my mind to it and if i train as hard (or even harder) as what i did in school...? is it theoretically possible for me to do this? or is it too late to teach old dogs new tricks :jester:

Regards,
Bridgette

Can i still do it ??? Advice needed - TheEd - 13-01-2011

Hi SpeedQueen and welcome to the forums .. congrats at getting back into running again

first things first .. consider getting down to sub 50 minutes for 10km

The sub 50 minute 10km program

discuss with me the routine and see how easily we can get you on to a training schedule without too many problems

you need to approach the training with caution to avoid injuries etc

Cheers

TheEd

Can i still do it ??? Advice needed - SpeedQueen - 24-01-2011

Ok, so i think I've made a bit of progress. I've been taking your advice and aiming to break 50min on 10k.

This past weekend i did 7 x 1000m with only 90 sec rest period in between... measured 1000m on a flat piece of road.

My times were as follows:

4'47''
4'39''
4'28''
4'41''
4'26''
4'39''
4'26''

My average milage per week has been between 40 to 50km. And I'm doing one long run per week ...approx 14 to 20km.

I'm going to try run a 10k this coming saturday. I really hope that I can at least break 55min at this stage... i mean, I've only really been running again for about 6 weeks so I dont want to place unrealistic expectations on myself.

Any advice?

Regards,
The SpeedQueen

Can i still do it ??? Advice needed - TheEd - 24-01-2011

Hi SpeedQueen

after the 10km race you can consider providing feedback and then we can help you in a better way

how come 7 x 1k Wink

Cheers

TheEd
ps.. the 1000m session was not too shabby

Can i still do it ??? Advice needed - SpeedQueen - 25-01-2011

Ok great ! I will let you know how it goes on Saturday, I will be happy if I just break 55mins.

I'm going to try and just taper off a bit this week and rest my legs. I'll probably only run tomorrow, and thursday do something light and then the race on Saturday.

PS... i did the 1000m because i heard that a good indication of whether or not you will be able to to a sub 50min 10k is to try do 10 x 1000m all under 5min with as little rest as possible in between. I only did 7 though because I thought I would rather build up slowly instead of pushing myself now in the beginning stages of my training. I'm not sure though... is this the correct way to do things? Will maybe try to do 8 next time ? and slowly build up to 10 if it is?

Thanks for all the help !

Regards,
The SpeedQueen !

Can i still do it ??? Advice needed - TheEd - 25-01-2011

Always best to be cautious in the beginning as this is the period that leads mostly to injuries or sickness

till after the event and new beginnings

TheEd

Can i still do it ??? Advice needed - SpeedQueen - 07-02-2011

Ok, so I've had a minor setback...nothing too major though. My legs started to cramp / spasm really bad these past two weeks, especially my calves ! I took a few days off and did some light training these past two weeks and I think everything is fine now...luckily no injury !

But I had to forfeit the race unfortunately. I think when u are so stiff that the last thing that I should be doing is racing.

So now I will be running my next 10k in two weeks time. Lets see how it goes? I feel a bit stressed that I took two weeks off from training and hope that I dont loose any fitness, but I guess its better than training on sore muscles and landing up with a major injury.

Anyways, I want to ask :

What is the difference between fartlek, tempo runs and inteval training? I think I know more or less, but am not really sure how much rest I should take between reps? And when I should be doing what in the weeks leading up to a race.

I'm especially confused about the tempo. What sort of training do I do for this?

Can i still do it ??? Advice needed - TheEd - 07-02-2011

tight calves lead very easily towards shin splints and other complications so be very careful in your approach to these matters

Q.What is the difference between fartlek, tempo runs and interval training?
Fartlek - http://www.time-to-run.com/training/methods/fartlek/index.htm
Derived from the Swedish term that means ‘Speed Play’, fartlek can provide an excellent endurance and strength session, as well as help improve your speed and race awareness. Fart=speed and lek=play

interval training - http://www.time-to-run.com/training/methods/intervals/index.htm
Interval training is far more structured and you have to run a set distance in a set target time with a set Rest interval

tempo runs - for more on this - http://www.time-to-run.com/training/articles/blocks.htm
Here you run faster than your usual training pace .. so you could consider 5km at 10k race pace .. 1hr at 21km race pace ..
Personally, I do not recommend paced run for the inexperienced runner and only have athletes go towards temp running once they have adapted to the 10km programs and the cycles that come after the 10k training

I hope this helps

TheEd

Can i still do it ??? Advice needed - SpeedQueen - 17-02-2011

Hi Ed,

Ok, so here is a quick update on my progress :

I ran a 10k last week friday night (Night race). I initially didn't really want to do this one for time, but after 3km, I felt good so I decided to push. I ran it in 51 min 52 sec. I was really thrilled with this !! I've chopped off almost 6 miutes in a month.

I managed to squeeze in a 12km long run on Sunday but since then I havent managed to train due to work commitments. I did a 7km this morning, but this is the only training I've done this week.

I would like to run another 10km race this coming Saturday (the day after tomorrow) and run it for time to see if I can at least get close to breaking 50.. Do you advise that I do this race? Seeing as I did only train one day this week? And especially seeing as I did race last week ? How many weeks between races ? I really dont want to over-race myself, or even worse, set out to better my time and disappoint myself by not being realistic and rational about my running.

Let me know what u think

Regards,
The SpeedQueen

Can i still do it ??? Advice needed - TheEd - 17-02-2011

Hi SpeedQueen .. first off congrats

you do seem to be chomping at the bit, so to run another 10km this weekend shouldn't be a problem .. but you will definitely need to come down after this

so until after the race

enjoy, sounds like you having a blast

TheEd