Running Information Forums
Going for sub 37 10k - Printable Version

+- Running Information Forums (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Training Zone (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-The-Training-Zone)
+--- Forum: 10K Training Feedback (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-10K-Training-Feedback)
+--- Thread: Going for sub 37 10k (/Thread-Going-for-sub-37-10k)

Pages: 1 2

Going for sub 37 10k - mausman4 - 07-02-2020

My 6 month goal is to run a 37 min 10k.

I am just getting into running but I have a decent amount of fitness from paddling coming in.

Currently following the sub 40 10 k plan (first cycle, day 9). I wasn’t able to finish day 3 (perhaps due to fatigue I accumulated from day 1&2, not that I went particularly hard on them, but it was my first time running for many months).

Last night I did the 6x1k sessions at 3:50/k and those felt pretty good (got up to 85% of my max hr).

RE: Going for sub 37 10k - TheEd - 08-02-2020

Welcome to the forums mausman, are you able to give more background detail regarding your running, so for the future we know what your longest run etc .. PB's and the like

if you have not been running when coming into the program, we will need to be cautious, there is no need to follow the program to the letter

Day 3 to Day 8 are the most important and we can juggle things. If the first cycle gets you running and motivated great, but we must be careful coming back too quickly

have you any heart rate detail feedback for the 1k session

steady as we go

TheEd

RE: Going for sub 37 10k - mausman4 - 11-02-2020

Hi Ed, thanks for the warm welcome.

I wasn't able to get my exact heart rate data, but during the 1k run parts, I would reach low 180's (180-185) bpm (max hr of 214 bpm). During the 60s rest, my heart rate would come down to about 145.
 I don't really have any experience with running; the only race/time trial I have done in the past was a 5km trail race, with a time of 23:08. However, the elevation change on that course was really brutal and I placed ahead of a couple people who said they were sub 40min 10k runners. I have also run a treadmill 5k at 20 minute pace (9.3 mph, 0% incline) about 6 months back. I have not been active for the past 5 months as I wanted to focus on my academics first.

Today I did the hour run; decided to explore some of the trails around my university. I tried to keep my heart rate around 160 bpm, although during steep uphill sections, it would climb up to the mid 180's. I also ran the last 3 minutes at 4:10/km pace.

This information may be useful:
Weight: 155 lbs
Height: 5'9
Sex: Male

RE: Going for sub 37 10k - TheEd - 11-02-2020

Thanks for the feedback mausman. From you feedback you mention not being too experienced, so I think we should exercise caution. You have gone through the first week without hassles, so look to back off now, and for caution, keep your pulse around 140. Don't do faster running at the end of sessions, focus on recovery from day to day, and at the end of this cycle we can do a tester, and from that work out sessions more to your individual current fitness

Does this sound good for you?

TheEd

RE: Going for sub 37 10k - mausman4 - 12-02-2020

(11-02-2020, 10:08 AM)TheEd Wrote: Thanks for the feedback mausman. From you feedback you mention not being too experienced, so I think we should exercise caution. You have gone through the first week without hassles, so look to back off now, and for caution, keep your pulse around 140. Don't do faster running at the end of sessions, focus on recovery from day to day, and at the end of this cycle we can do a tester, and from that work out sessions more to your individual current fitness

Does this sound good for you?

TheEd

Yep, that sounds good. Today was a rest day after the hr run yesterday. The hip muscles felt a bit sore right after waking up and in the morning but by now (9pm for me), the soreness has gone away. Tomorrow I am planning on doing the 5k run, aiming to be just under 20 minutes.

RE: Going for sub 37 10k - TheEd - 12-02-2020

Hi mausman, hips sounds a little like overuse. So make sure to focus on recovery. Do you hae stretching as part of your routine? If not, that is fine but if you able to do some stretching the great. Look at doing the ITB stretch, which starts from the hip area

TheEd

RE: Going for sub 37 10k - mausman4 - 12-02-2020

(12-02-2020, 12:28 PM)TheEd Wrote: Hi mausman, hips sounds a little like overuse. So make sure to focus on recovery. Do you hae stretching as part of your routine? If not, that is fine but if you able to do some stretching the great. Look at doing the ITB stretch, which starts from the hip area

TheEd

I stretch before and after sessions. I’ll incorporate that stretch into my routine. Will update with splits and hr data from 5k later today.

RE: Going for sub 37 10k - mausman4 - 13-02-2020

(12-02-2020, 04:23 PM)mausman4 Wrote:
(12-02-2020, 12:28 PM)TheEd Wrote: Hi mausman, hips sounds a little like overuse. So make sure to focus on recovery. Do you hae stretching as part of your routine? If not, that is fine but if you able to do some stretching the great. Look at doing the ITB stretch, which starts from the hip area

TheEd

I stretch before and after sessions. I’ll incorporate that stretch into my routine. Will update with splits and hr data from 5k later today.

Ok, so I ended up running it on the treadmill because I got home from school pretty late and it was already dark out. Incline was set to 0%.

Total time: 18:47
Pacing: for the first 2.5 km, pace was set at 3:55/km
Then, over the last 2.5 km, I steadily increased the pace to 3:26/km, which I held for the last 600 metres

HR: maxed out at 204

Taking your advice and gonna keep the 1 hr recovery session tomorrow real easy.

Cheers,

Dan

RE: Going for sub 37 10k - TheEd - 13-02-2020

Hi mausman, in the next cycle, would it br possible to start day 1 on a Tuesday, so the 5k paced would be on a Saturday?

from your feedback, you may be running too hard currently. So we need to be cautious

consider cutting the 1hr down to 30 to 40 minutes

TheEd
ps.. I am a little concerned about the hips, the body warns in advance before shutting down, so please be cautious

RE: Going for sub 37 10k - mausman4 - 14-02-2020

(13-02-2020, 09:18 AM)TheEd Wrote: Hi mausman, in the next cycle, would it br possible to start day 1 on a Tuesday, so the 5k paced would be on a Saturday?

from your feedback, you may be running too hard currently. So we need to be cautious

consider cutting the 1hr down to 30 to 40 minutes

TheEd
ps.. I am a little concerned about the hips, the body warns in advance before shutting down, so please be cautious

This morning went for an easy half hour jog, didnt bother to bring the watch and hrm. I forgot that the 5K wasnt supposed to be faster than 19:10

It would be possible, but is there a particular reason why the 5k paced should be on Saturday?