Running Information Forums
Sub 35, few programme questions - Printable Version

+- Running Information Forums (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Training Zone (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-The-Training-Zone)
+--- Forum: 10K Training Feedback (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-10K-Training-Feedback)
+--- Thread: Sub 35, few programme questions (/Thread-Sub-35-few-programme-questions)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Sub 35, few programme questions - NeilWill.i.am - 25-05-2020

Hi TheEd

2 weeks into the sub 35 10k programme, really enjoying it. PB has been the same for 15 months now (35.52), running on 20miles a week generally done via 4 all out interval sessions a week - terrible way to train I know...been the same for 3/4 years, got me down from 41min PB but it's clearly no longer enough to progress from.

Few programe questions please Ed.

Generally any run where you have easy in, i.e day one 75 to 90m easy distance, assume these runs are all at easy pace/at least 1min slower than current 10k race pace?

Is the 'longest run' on day 5 also at that easy pace?

Day 10, 1 hour of my easy pace of 4.35 takes me to 13km (ish), to hit 15k my pace would need to be 4min per k...so is the 15k perhaps for your super fast 30min 10k runners or have I misinterpreted this session? I.e carry on to 15k if you feel good?

Day 15, what does P mean?

If there isn't a race what do you suggest instead? 10k time trial?

Also to confirm, after the race a 30 to 60min easy pace run, then the next day (day 20) another easy paced 30min run, then day 21 rest then back to day 1.

Hope most of that makes sense, any help massively appreciated.

Many thanks
Neil

RE: Sub 35, few programme questions - TheEd - 27-05-2020

Hi Neil, and welcome to the forums, let me work through the questions and hopefully this helps a little

OK .. pace for easy runs .. 1 minute slower than current 10k race pace .. 75 to 90 minutes can be slower up to 90 seconds slower than current 10k pace .. as you develop, you can start off at a slower pace to warm up and the last 20 minutes you can accelerate according to how you feel but never hurting yourself

Day 5 will be as above, that long run is every 3 weeks and is followed by the 1k session on Day 8

with time you should get the balance right

if you do a 4k time-trial (10 laps on track or own route that you can always use) you can then have a current pace to use for the sessions

Day 10 will be according to your development .. so to be on the safe side go through the first cycle and when you do the run don't go quicker than 4:45 per k for now

p .. don't worry too much about that however it is code for 3000m pace Smile

If there isn't a race then time-trial 6 to 8km on own .. 10k only in a group and you can also do 5k, if you can run a course you can use next time (ask questions here if unclear)

The program starts on a Tuesday Day 1 .. if you race on Saturday then 2 days recovery runs and Day 1 starts on Tuesday .. if you race on Sunday, then 1 day recovery run and Day 1 starts on Tuesday .. if you race on a Sunday we change the last few days of week 3 but stick to to the pattern of the program till after Tuesday in the program.

with feedback, your training will become more individualised to you

onwards TheEd

RE: Sub 35, few programme questions - NeilWill.i.am - 27-05-2020

Brilliant thanks TheEd, all noted. In the next cycle I'll look to go a little slower in the 75min + runs and increase in the last 20mins.

Very interesting not running a full 10k time trial, is that more for psychological purposes? I.e that real race day mentality will see you through the last few k!

I've used this first cycle as a bit of a benchmark and having learnt more I can be better paced for the next cycle. For example the 5*2 I went all out and fairly constantly averaged 3:35 per 2k. For the 6*1 I averaged 3:25. Both 5 out of 5 efforts. Interestingly the 10*400 I was able to achieve the sessions pace and sustain 76s for all the reps. To me that gives me confidence that I've got the speed for sub 35 just not the endurance yet to be able to hit 3.25 5*2 / 3:15 6*1. Hopefully in a few months I'll be closer. Shall keep you posted.

Massive thanks
Neil

RE: Sub 35, few programme questions - TheEd - 27-05-2020

Hi Neil .. all in a nutshell .. 'psychological purposes' ..

the 10k can set you up for racing future events including the half marathon and we also cater for the marathon, off the 10k platform.

How did your calf muscles recover after the 400m session, as we have had a few problems with this session for the less experienced to running on track runner?

TheEd

RE: Sub 35, few programme questions - NeilWill.i.am - 27-05-2020

Hi TheEd

Calf's were and have been absolutely fine. I have a new housing development a mile from home and it's fairly flat so I've found a really flat bit to do 400m out and 400m back.

Neil

RE: Sub 35, few programme questions - TheEd - 29-05-2020

Hi Neil, were you able to subscribe to this thread

I see bottom left there is a - Subscribe to this thread

TheEd

RE: Sub 35, few programme questions - NeilWill.i.am - 29-05-2020

Hi The Ed

In short, no. I click bottom left on 'Subscribe to this thread' and it immediately takes me to a 'File not found.' blank page. I'm on my laptop right now using Chrome, using my android phone the same happens. I also cannot subscribe to any other threads.

I only saw your reply to me just now as I am generally reading my way through other peoples posts from over the years.

Hope that helps, can email you over a screen shot if you need.

Neil

RE: Sub 35, few programme questions - TheEd - 29-05-2020

Hi Neil, yes .. it did the same to me on another thread but when I refreshed and went back to the thread the 'subscribe' had changed to 'unsubscribe' from this thread

it should be the same for you

TheEd
ps.. the forum software is due for an update Smile

RE: Sub 35, few programme questions - NeilWill.i.am - 29-05-2020

Thanks theEd. That didnt work for me unfortunatly, yet pit75 has found a way we can still subscribe to threads and kindly shared it with us on the forum.

RE: Sub 35, few programme questions - TheEd - 06-06-2020

HI Neil, how things going with your training?

TheEd