Running Information Forums
Sub 35, few programme questions - Printable Version

+- Running Information Forums (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Training Zone (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-The-Training-Zone)
+--- Forum: 10K Training Feedback (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-10K-Training-Feedback)
+--- Thread: Sub 35, few programme questions (/Thread-Sub-35-few-programme-questions)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

RE: Sub 35, few programme questions - TheEd - 23-06-2020

Hi Neil, I was suggesting replacing the race at the end of the cycle .. the pace run is fine but don't look to run a PB .. not sure when events start up your side again

we were looking to shut this week down after the 5k PB Smile

hope all OK

TheEd

RE: Sub 35, few programme questions - NeilWill.i.am - 23-06-2020

Ok thanks TheEd, that makes sense. Will aim to consolidate at 17.30 for the 5k paced run every cycle and save all out pace for 'race day'.

I'm fully embracing the easy week as of now, ?looking forward to strength training instead tonight.

Thanks TheEd

RE: Sub 35, few programme questions - NeilWill.i.am - 06-07-2020

Hi TheEd

Hope all is well your end.

Quick update for you, after the on off easy week I was back in week one of the cycle again last week. Had a decent week, all to the plan apart from a shocking 5*2 session....2 sets in I was all out of gas. I really struggle mentally with that session as although I love them they really are brutal!! 6*1 session tonight, averaged 3:21 somehow, all out 100% effort leaving nothing behind, pleased with that as I think my best average has been 3.25. I'm seeing the progress but it never gets any easier does it....got to work hard for every second!! Will aim to hit 17.30 in this week's 5k paced run, no faster.

Neil

RE: Sub 35, few programme questions - TheEd - 07-07-2020

Hi Neil, the 2k session is a menace of a session and if you able to get some training partners to share the session with you all the better ..

the 1k session looks pretty good .. now to recover and not to get too carried away ..

looking good TheEd

RE: Sub 35, few programme questions - NeilWill.i.am - 07-07-2020

Thanks TheEd. I know I need to not put to much pressure on myself to see progress in every quality session and get through them even if it means dialling down the pace a bit to do so.

Thanks as always for your comments and support.

Neil

RE: Sub 35, few programme questions - shadydaz - 07-07-2020

Neil; as an old hand at these sessions, I can say it is absolutely OK to be able to get through the session 10s/km slower than you initially planned to and still see "race" PB gains once the super recovery phase of the cycle takes effect, as long as you complete the session, that's what builds the vital speed endurance. Also take into consideration relative environmental factors, it's ok to knock targets down a bit it you are running in very warm conditions, the training effect is still directly relative in terms of effort, even at a slower pace. Smashing a 1 km session does help build the speed into the legs but not the endurance required to finish the last 3km of a 10km or 5km of a half, stronger than you start.

Everyone is different though and what works for me might not work for you. Smile

Darren.

RE: Sub 35, few programme questions - NeilWill.i.am - 07-07-2020

Thanks Darren. I shall remember your words in the future and ensure that no matter what i get the mileage of the session in even if it means dropping the time down proportionally. Appreciate the race days are where it counts to see the progress and that's been missing for us all this year. Need to learn to set fair expectations of myself on the day and get the mileage in as the rewards will be there on race days.

Thanks again Darren, hope the running is going well your end.

Neil.

RE: Sub 35, few programme questions - TheEd - 05-08-2020

Hi Neil, how things going ??

TheEd

RE: Sub 35, few programme questions - NeilWill.i.am - 05-08-2020

Hi TheEd

Thanks for checking in. All is going well I'm pleased to report. I did a 6k TT on Sunday in 21mins exactly, 3.30k pace. It was tough but I'd feel pretty confident now that in race mode I could hang on to that pace for a 5miler, so really really pleased with that. This cycle has been fairly erratic, ive missed probably about 5 sessions in total and messed up my last 5x2k session - although having completed 4 sets I was at 3.27 pace avg which was again progress from my previous 3.28 pace.

The last few weeks ive been back and forth to the office and tomorrow back in full time so the routine has been changing hence it has unfortunately impacted this last cycle plus ive had a pretty vicious 2 week cold to try and bring me down.

Overall i'm feeling fit, no injuries or niggles, progress is happening and i'm going to press on next week and then follow the rest/build up cycle.

Safe regards
Neil

RE: Sub 35, few programme questions - TheEd - 06-08-2020

Good to read Neil .. I was only saying this evening at a session to the runners, that in all of my years, not a single athlete has ever trained 100% according to a program .. so they should not get stressed if things go haywire .. it is all about being in the right frame of mind, both physically and mentally, when it counts

and above all, enjoy what we doing

onwards TheEd