Running Information Forums
Here it goes... - Printable Version

+- Running Information Forums (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Training Zone (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-The-Training-Zone)
+--- Forum: 10K Training Feedback (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-10K-Training-Feedback)
+--- Thread: Here it goes... (/Thread-Here-it-goes)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Here it goes... - FinnyGM - 06-01-2021

Hello

I’m hoping to get some feedback and advice on my training. In previous years I ran quite a bit but with no real purpose. I’m hoping to smash my current PBs:

• 5K - 24:33 (Oct 2017)
  • 10K - 51:26 (Sept 2017)
  • Half Marathon - 1:59:41 (April 2015)

I know I need to concentrate on getting my base fitness up and my weight down. But I’m ready to start the hard work now.

My initial focus will be on my 5K time - if I could get some guidance on how to start that would be great.

Thanks.

RE: Here it goes... - TheEd - 12-01-2021

Hi Finny ´GM .. seemed to miss this post

will you be considering doing a 4k time-trial so we can set the paces for your different sessions

you can stick to the overall format of the sub 50 minute program, making a few adjustments to focus on just the 5k at present

TheEd

RE: Here it goes... - FinnyGM - 13-01-2021

(12-01-2021, 06:54 AM)TheEd Wrote: Hi Finny ´GM .. seemed to miss this post

will you be considering doing a 4k time-trial so we can set the paces for your different sessions

you can stick to the overall format of the sub 50 minute program, making a few adjustments to focus on just the 5k at present

TheEd

Hi TheEd,

Thanks for your response. Unfortunately, I don’t have access to my local track at the minute, so just did the TT on a local 5K loop.

I did the complete 5K loop at a good effort as there is a decent uphill in the 4th km, so I thought you may get a better idea if I continued with the 5km.

My km splits and heart rate is below:

1km: 5min 41sec (165 bpm).
2km: 5min 31sec (163 bpm).
3km: 5min 38sec (164 bpm).
4km: 5min 41sec (165 bpm) [including a decent sized hill].
5km: 5 min 37sec (164 bpm).

Total time: 28min 16sec.

If anything this shows me how much work I need to do. This used to be an easy run pace for me :-(

Let me know if you need any more information to make your decisions :-)

Many thanks for your help on this.

Finny

RE: Here it goes... - TheEd - 14-01-2021

HI there Finny .. if anything, enjoyment of exercise should be out main priority at the moment, so no added stress Smile

you can look to start with 3 x 2k at 5:45 per k with Rest 90 seconds between

1k session .. 5 x 1k R90 @ 5:35 per k

not sure when you able to do the 2k session .. Thursday would be a great day to start

TheEd
ps.. have you any long runs in you currently

RE: Here it goes... - FinnyGM - 19-01-2021

Hi TheEd,

Apologies for only getting back now. Took a few days to get into the schedule. Since last Wednesday’s 4K/5K tester, I have ran as follows:

Thurs: Easy paced 30 mins at 5.58/km pace. (HR average was 151bpm).
Fri: Rest.
Sat: Easy 45 mins at 6:09/km pace. (HR average was 144bpm).
Sun: Very easy 32 mins at 6:15/km pace. (HR average was 140bpm).

Tonight (Monday) I did the 3 x 2km session you proposed with 90 secs recovery.

My splits were as follows:
1km: 5:47 (HR: 128bpm)
2km: 5:27 (HR: 150bpm)
3km: 5:30 (HR: 151bpm)
4km: 5:30 (HR: 157bpm)
5km: 5:37 (HR: 152 bpm)
6km: 5:34 (HR: 158bpm)

I realise my pace was very inconsistent and was a little faster than you suggested - it just felt great to be doing a session again after so long of not doing them.

I haven’t done a session like that in 2 years probably, although I would have been trying to average under 5:00 for each km then.

In terms of your question about long runs, I would like to slowly build those up again. That’s why I just did 45 mins at the weekend. Is that ok?

It would be great to have your thoughts on this.

Many thanks,

Finny

RE: Here it goes... - TheEd - 19-01-2021

Hi Finny, yes, it is OK to do only 45 minutes, and that was the reason I was asking, so that you don't overdo it .. so you have that under control

on we go and the 2k session is pretty decent

TheEd

RE: Here it goes... - FinnyGM - 19-01-2021

Thanks TheEd,

Onwards we go. Going by the plan it is:

Today: Rest.
Tomorrow: Easy time on feet run.
Thursday: Easy 30 mins.
Friday: Easy 30 mins.
Saturday: 5 x 1km session

Will let you know how I get on after the 1km session

Thanks again.

RE: Here it goes... - TheEd - 22-01-2021

Enjoy tomorrow's 1k session Finny

onwards TheEd

RE: Here it goes... - FinnyGM - 24-01-2021

Hello TheEd,

Apologies for the late reply. A few issues popped up yesterday from a personal point of view so I didn’t get my run in until 8:30pm.

With the fact that I’m relying on local roads at the moment (no local track due to COVID) it was too snowy and icy to do an interval session at that time of night. There’s quite a bit of snow/ice at the moment in NI but should be gone by Wednesday.

Therefore, I just swapped today and yesterday’s run - I hope that’s ok?

Therefore, yesterday was 30 mins easy - 31:55 at 6:22/km pace. Average HR was 148 bpm.

Therefore, today I got out this afternoon and did my 5 x 1km session and I was very strict with the 60 sec recovery. Overall I really enjoyed it - again, enjoying starting to push things again.

Overall I was a little quicker than the 5:35km pace you suggested, but I felt pretty good throughout. Splits were as follows:

1km: 5:34 (HR: 144 bpm).
2km: 5:09 (HR: 149 bpm). Too quick - I know. Tried to control the next three kms better.
3km: 5:19 (HR: 152 bpm)
4km: 5:13 (HR: 154 bpm)
5km: 5:21 (HR: 157 bpm)

Next few days as per the schedule are as follows:

Monday: Easy Run.
Tuesday: Rest.
Wednesday: 5k paced run.

Two questions:
1) Can I replace Tuesdays rest day with a very easy run.
2) What pace should I try to aim for in my 5k paced run? (I did 28:16 at the start of this process).

Many thanks for your time as always!

Finny.

RE: Here it goes... - TheEd - 27-01-2021

Hi Finny .. how things going were you able to continue as normal

for your pace run, start off at 4:50 per k for the first 2k's and then see if you can pick up the pace as you go along

hope everything is falling into place despite all the difficulty

TheEd