Running Information Forums
Sub 40min 10k starting advice - Printable Version

+- Running Information Forums (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Training Zone (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-The-Training-Zone)
+--- Forum: 10K Training Feedback (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-10K-Training-Feedback)
+--- Thread: Sub 40min 10k starting advice (/Thread-Sub-40min-10k-starting-advice)

Pages: 1 2

Sub 40min 10k starting advice - DrewMartin - 13-02-2011

Hello,

First thanks for the great site, data found here is amazing.

I haven't been running for about 2 months I tapered off from 20 to 25 miles a week ending in mid December. I ran consistently last year and turned in 5k race times around 21 minutes and a 10k race time of 43:07. I have been doing interval and plyometric type training for 2 months 5 to 6 days a week. I would like to start the Sub 40 program but am wondering if I should start with the rest period schedule before diving in? Or should I start the program?

Thanks.
Drew

Sub 40min 10k starting advice - TheEd - 13-02-2011

Hi DrewMartin and welcome to the forums

depending on your current fitness and the workload you will be able to cope with will determine your training

so you want to aim at the sub 40 minute 10km program however I would recommend that you run a 4k time-trial and then for the first 3 week-cycle we put you onto the sub 45 minute 10km structure and revamp it after that cycle

going straight into 5 x 2k is enough to put the bravest newbie off

so if you agree to this advice we can march forward

run 4k time-trial .. give time and we on our way

TheEd

Thanks!

Ran the trial today at the track and was humbled big time. It was pretty windy but I definitely felt slow. Here are the splits:

Split. Avg HR
3.55 156
4.14 157
4.20 154
4.30 155

Endurance definitely not there. I felt pretty weak during this almost like my body was shocked that I was running again Smile

Sub 40min 10k starting advice - TheEd - 13-02-2011

OK .. Drew we have some work to do here but fear not .. if you have run 43 minutes in the past you have a chance of getting towards the aim of sub 40 easier

you currently hovering around 44.30 for 10km if you were able to hang in there for 10k

so let's start the cycle on the straight forward sub 45 minute 10km program

http://www.time-to-run.com/training/10k/sub45.htm

and after feedback we can start making the changes accordingly

be cautious .. be patient and you should make progress quicker than you anticipated after today's shock

Good luck

TheEd

Ok will do, I really need my off day to be Wednesday so that would mean starting today with a 60 to 70 easy distance, is that ok since I ran the 4k trial today or should I adjust?

Sub 40min 10k starting advice - TheEd - 15-02-2011

Hi Drew .. the main idea behind starting the program on the Tuesday is to do with the training from Day 3 to Day 8 being the most intensive and the training days spaced out correctly

so if you unable to run on a wednesday that is no major loss but still start the program with the 2k session this Thursday

hope this helps

TheEd

Sub 40min 10k starting advice - DrewMartin - 15-02-2011

Here is what I have so far and my plan.

Day 1 Sunday: I did 4k trial and 30 min easy run
Day 2 Monday: I did 30 min easy run
Day 3 Tuesday (today): I plan on doing the 4 x 2k
Day 4 Wednesday: off
And continue on with program....

Drew .. do the 2k session on Thursday

the balance of the program is to prepare you to race over the 3rd weekend

this is the plan and schedule of the program if you want to get the best results

TheEd

Sub 40min 10k starting advice - DrewMartin - 15-02-2011

Ok so I think I will just do as you stated and start the program today which is a Tuesday.

So, according to the schedule:

Today: 60 to 70 Easy
Tomorrow: 30 min easy
Thursday: 4 x 2k
Friday: off

I really want to maximize the results so I will follow as designed.

Thanks again. Sorry if I seem like a total beginner Smile

yes that is it .. no probs about the beginner status

the program is designed in a way that you have an overload period from day 3 to day 8 and then a come down in training to allow for compensation and adaptation followed by a little test or race and then a repeat of the process

this trains your body to be prepared on the day you want it to perform

the steps are simple and easy to slot into

rest is always a good safe guard to avoid injury and focus on consistency and the results will follow

enjoy the process and congrats on making the commitment

TheEd