Running Information Forums
New Member: Sub 33 Minute 10k Aspirations - Printable Version

+- Running Information Forums (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Training Zone (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-The-Training-Zone)
+--- Forum: 10K Training Feedback (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-10K-Training-Feedback)
+--- Thread: New Member: Sub 33 Minute 10k Aspirations (/Thread-New-Member-Sub-33-Minute-10k-Aspirations)

Pages: 1 2

New Member: Sub 33 Minute 10k Aspirations - Rycase - 04-03-2011

First - thank you for dedicating resources to such an outstanding website for training.

I have come in hopes you can accelerate my path to a solid time in the 5K and 10K. I have goals to run longer races (Primarily marathon) , however wish to get my 10K below 33 and Half Below 1:12 prior to proceeding with any additional long races.

I have a personal best of 16:40 for the 5k in the fall, without any specific 5k training. I have been racing the indoor mile and with bronchitis ran 4:50.05. I have seeded at 4:45.00 for this weekend and feel healthy and rested.

I believe I qualify for the Sub 33 training program. I recently did the 5x1000 R90 workout at 3:15 and did find it challenging, but not impossible. I feel that I am in between stages for the 33 and 35, but would like to know the best approach.

My weekly mileage is around 60MPW currently, with 70% easy or long. Long run of 13-15, at least one day of hill sprints (10% grade, 8 repeats @ 4:45 pace, 30 seconds), one tempo, and one track workout. I run doubles 3 days a week to get ready for higher volume, 80MPW as we move into the main first season.

I have a planned "A" race of 7 miles in July which requires a sub 33 minute 10K for an elite entry. I would like very much to earn that entry.

I have little injury history, having completed multiple ironman triathlons. I augment my running with Lactic Threshold Work on the bike. I have not missed a day of running in over 2.5 years now (Run 1 mile min as a way to keep blood flow). My injuries have subsided since training smarter (as running daily requires smart training).

The program for Sub 33 seems light from a mileage perspective. Can you advise given my current status where to run pace wise? Easy runs are usually around 7:00-7:30.

Looking for some advice on where to get started! Thanks guys!

New Member: Sub 33 Minute 10k Aspirations - TheEd - 04-03-2011

Hi and welcome to the forums Rycase

from your feedback you seem to be in shape to proceed on the sub 33 minute schedule (however we shall modify the starting pace targets), if you want to verify this, you could do a 4k time-trial.

Please, note the programs are progressive and that there is a lot more to the programs however this only comes around after you have been through a few cycles and have then done the Build Up, thereafter the mileage etc alters to suit the athlete via natural progression.

starting pace for the 2000's 3.25 to 3.30 for 6.50 to 7 minutes for the 2k

the 1km times are 10 seconds quicker - 3.15 to 3.20 (3.20 = a 16.40 5k)

rather get through the first cycle with everything being more easy than difficult, so that you get used to the rhythm of the schedule (which is most important for the program to be successful for you)

again welcome and congrats on choosing a 10km program

TheEd
ps.. the first 2km session next week Thursday .. start with the program Tuesday .. this is best due to how the program has been developed to get the best results

New Member: Sub 33 Minute 10k Aspirations - Rycase - 06-03-2011

TheEd,

Thank you for assisting with my training! I hope with some guidance and a solid plan that focuses more on threshold as opposed to immediate strength and/or endurance I can improve.

Would it be possible for me to perform the track sessions on tuesday? A few of my peers and I have dedicated tuesdays weekly to track sessions and my long runs are on typically on sundays.

If this will greatly impact the program I can shift the workouts, but it would make it easier with starting the program today?

Thanks

New Member: Sub 33 Minute 10k Aspirations - TheEd - 06-03-2011

The first week of the program always starts with a Thursday track session and then week 2 is Tuesday and Thursday

the balance of the program is designed in this manner from Day 3 to Day 8 to achieve the overload we seek

Please ask questions if you need further clarity

TheEd

New Member: Sub 33 Minute 10k Aspirations - Rycase - 16-03-2011

The weather prevented the first track workout (the 5x 2k) - The indoor track was consumed by the track team and snow / sleet coupled with 30 mph winds made the workout not plausible.

Sunday I ran 16:40 , winning by a full minute in a 5K. Conditions were not optimal , 26 degrees and breezy. My final 1k was 3:17. I warmed up 4 miles and cooled down just under 7 miles.

Last night I performed the first 1K workout. I felt the workout was not completely exhausting.

My recoveries were precisely 90 seconds (89 on one).

3:15
3:17
3:18

My splits were very even throughout the workout. I warmed up 3 miles, and cooled down 3 miles. I felt the times were solid given a 5k Race two days prior.

I am planning on trying 5 x 2K on Thursday. Is this OK? I am a strong proponent of not making up workouts, however wanted your advice coach.

Thanks!

New Member: Sub 33 Minute 10k Aspirations - TheEd - 16-03-2011

Hi Rycase, if you miss a session stick to the routine and we can discuss what we can change where

considering that the 2k session was your first you can consider starting with Day3 tomorrow, which would be the 5 x 2k session

and then from there continue with Day4 onwards

Good luck and enjoy

TheEd

TheEd Wrote:Hi Rycase, if you miss a session stick to the routine and we can discuss what we can change where

considering that the 2k session was your first you can consider starting with Day3 tomorrow, which would be the 5 x 2k session

and then from there continue with Day4 onwards

Good luck and enjoy

TheEd

Curious if you have any feedback regarding the 1K session? Does this program seem plausible in your opinion ?

How does the 4K time trial work (thats an odd distance here in the states)? Head to a track and hammer 4k? Perform it in a race?

New Member: Sub 33 Minute 10k Aspirations - TheEd - 16-03-2011

Hi R, the 4k is used purely for the assessment purposes and setting the pace for the programs and because it is an 'odd distance' it doesn't carry that much weight to compare it to a 3k or 5km

as for the 1000's .. a session of 6 x 1k with a Rest of 60 sec will give you something to better understand

your 16:40 5k time does float you below a 34 minute 10km

if you do the 5 x 2k session and then get onto the sub 33 minute 10km program, you should be able to build some consistency to work on

it all takes a few cycles to get the benefits

TheEd

Thanks Ed - Will do.

New Member: Sub 33 Minute 10k Aspirations - Rycase - 05-04-2011

Ok First Cycle Down - Marquee Workouts Posted. All performed with 60 seconds Recovery

5 x 2k 6:48, 6:52, 6:55, 7:01, 7:00 - these were performed 2 days after 6 x 1k as you had me start over. I was exhausted, but did complete.

6 x 1k - 3:17, 3:17, 3:18, 3:19, 3:17, 3:20

12 x 400 , 74-75 (all within that range)

Final Race:

16:41 5k - Strong Winds, 19th Overall (Winner was 14:56, was 30 seconds slower than the previous year, so i believe the wind had an impact). 1k splits were 3:15, 3:15, 3:23, 3:24, 3:21 (33 second 200 to finish). We had about a 20 mph headwind from 3k-5k. I did my best to draft, however simply couldn't hold pace - was disappointed. I am not sure what this would have translated to on a calm day. Thoughts?

Shall I proceed to the second round? not feeling any faster yet, really committing to sticking to the plan and hope to see results.

Next Race: 8k this weekend , however not important. April 28th is a 5k I was hoping to use as my next checkpoint race at the end of a cycle.

Thoughts? Looking for your guidance on 2k, 1k and 400 paces.

Thanks!