Running Information Forums

Full Version: 10 km race under 35 min
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Hello,

I am planning to run a 10 km race in Sweden in just over 9 weeks (16th October)

I see that your training program is basically a three week program. Should I just do that 3 times to cover the 9 weeks?
I was also wondering what I should do on the race day the first two times I do the program? Should I treat it as a 10 km race?

I am aiming for under 35 minutes and my PB is 36:51, which I got last year at the same race.
I did my first marathon in Stockholm this year and got 3hrs 15min. I am planning to do the marathon again in June 2012 and get under 3 hours. Do you have and training programs for a sub 3 marathon?

A great website btw. Loads of interesting stuff.

Thanks for all your help,

laurence
Hi Laurence and welcome to the forums

one of the best things you can do is to run a 4k time-trial and then we can give you the pace for your sessions

you can train on the sub 35 minute 10k program structure but with the pace specific to you

hope this helps

TheEd
ps.. thanks for the compliments and we are planning a marathon program with feedback aimed at people who have been on the 10k programs .. more on that later .. once you reply I shall move the posts to your own thread
Hi TheEd

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly.

I will do the 4km time trial tomorrow and get back to you. I guess that means as fast as you can for 4km.

laurence
as quickly as you can without pushing yourself mentally

a time-trial without the hurt factor

enjoy

TheEd
Hi,

I did the 4 km time trial.

I did 3:34 per km for 4km
Average heart rate was 171 and max was 183.
I was not at 100% today but dont think I could have got much better.

So, where should I go from here for my 10 km training?

Thanks,
laurence
OK .. this does show you where you are currently .. for this weekend consider doing your normal weekend training and specifically the long run on Sunday

what distance do you run currently?

then next week Tuesday you start on Day 1 of the sub 35 minute 10k program

will provide feedback shortly as to what your 5 x 2k session will be next Thursday ..

have a good weekend

TheEd
Hi,

I did about 12km quite slowly on Sunday.

During the marathon training earlier this year I was averaging about 30 km on Sunday for 2 months. I think this was a bit much for my legs as it was my first marathon.

How slowly/quickly should I run for 75 to 90 minutes tomorrow?

Thanks,
laurence
the easy runs should all be at a pace (especially in the early days) where it is comfortable and you are able to talk

one of the best things to do is to run with someone on these days who is at least 1 to 2 minutes slower than you and that you run at their pace .. this would help to keep things easy

as you develop the pace changes naturally

(we shall also see with time whether 140 bpm is your easy run measure, however I still need a little more data and especially the data from Thursday's 2k session)

Thursday: 5 x 2k at 3.45 to 3.50 per k for 7.30 to 7.40

no need to go quicker than this for the 1st 2k session .. please provide HR feedback

TheEd
ps.. if you are able to, keep the 30k run for every 3 weeks on the schedule .. normally the 1st weekend of the cycle is the best time to do this
Hi,

I went out for a 16 km run today at a nice slow pace.

I was wearing my vibram 5 finger shoes and stepped on a pointy rock on a track that I was running on after about 7km. I struggled on for a bit but then stopped at about 10km as it was too sore. I fell asleep on a rock for a good half hour in the warm evening Stockholm sun and then started to run back.

This is the strange bit:

I started to run back and the pain in my foot slowly subsided but my heart rate quickly shot up. I looked down at my watch and saw my heart rate at 194 and I was running at a very slow 5:30 pace. I did not feel that tired and although it came down from that high point it was hovering around 160 bpm and I was not going that fast.

Heart Rate

Avg 124 Max 149 (first 10 km) 5:17 per km

Avg 159 Max 194 (last 6km after rest) 5:25 per km

Is this just a weird thing with my garmin 305 watch?

Thanks for your help,
laurence
this sounds more like a signal problem .. maybe after the nap the belt was not fitting as it should Wink

a nap .. this is a new one Big Grin

hope all is OK

TheEd
Pages: 1 2 3 4