Running Information Forums

Full Version: A sub 35min 10km someday!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi TheEd,

I finished the Melbourne Marathon in 3:18 (9th October). The plan was a high 2:50s, however it just wasn't there on the day for me. I'm not feeling too disappointed, I trained well and left nothing to chance. I also backed my training on the day and set out at sub 3 hour pace, it simply wasn't my day......so time to move on I guess!

I ran the marathon as a charity fundraiser and therefore the distance is not something I have any great interest in repeating. My plan remains 10k running and sprint distance triathlons (maybe some endurance swims this summer too). I'm looking forward to getting back into my preferred events!

I am hopeful with the added ensurance from the marathon training I can put in some quicker 10ks in the coming weeks/months ahead (a sub 37mins would be a nice start Smile).... The good news is I kept the 2 + 1k sessions as part of my marathon program, my final 2k sessions were avg 7:30's, I also ran a time trial a couple of weeks prior to the race at 18:30, so I'm hopeful there is something to build on there.

After a complete week off, I have slowly introduced some light swimming and cycling. I have been to my physio for a checkup and it appears that my body has made it through the marathon training/race reasonably well! I also started on the 3 week build up phase with the aim of a 4km time trial on Sunday, 6th November.

Upcoming events:
19th November - 121km bike ride - just for fun, not racing
27th November - Sprint Triathlon - just for fun, maybe a little racing :p
1st December - 10km - my only track event of the season, also evening run
11th December - 10km - road race
18th December - Sprint Triathlon
26th January - Sprint Triathlon
5th February - Olympic dist Tri

I guess there's quite a bit in there, however there are only 3 events that are key for me..... both 10k races and the olympic dist tri.

How do you suppose I balance the Xtraining? Do the key runs and swap easy runs for swim/cycle?

Finally, I'd be interested in your thoughts on barefoot running. The research I have come across looks really interesting (if not yet conclusive). I have been gradually introducing some barefoot at the end of my runs....it feels great and very comfortable (while watching out for sharp objects that is). I'd be interested in your views on this.

Anyways, I hope everything is going well for you guys in your new home town!! Let me know what you think about training and we'll go from there!

Cheers,
Nick

P.S. apologies for the incredibly long post :laugh:
Hi Nick .. we are getting closer and closer to being able to provide advice towards the Triathlon (http://www.time-to-tri.com) and we have even changed location to an area renowned for TRI training

from my past experience I have noted that you are able to have a quality swim session close to a quality run session however this only takes place after a fair amount of adaptation, so at first be careful when mixing the sessions

cycling can be used on recovery days however getting the balance right between spinning and grinding is most important

Saturdays were used as the hard BIKE session day, where the athlete normally focused on the 'brick' sessions

both swimming and cycling relies on good technique

running assists both the cycling and swimming with regards to aerobic development however the cycling and swimming does not truly contribute to the running

both the cycling and swimming technique is improved from long hours in the saddle and the pool ... so finding the balance is most important

I am hoping this helps ... if we were to take the 10k training program schedule we could easily adapt the 'training weeks' to incorporate all 3 elements

Cheers

TheEd
Hey TheEd,

Thanks for your reply. I would really like to use the TtR 10k training schedule as the foundations of my training.

Are you happy to tweak the program to incorporate swim/bike and I'll continue to post?

Muchos Gracias!!!
N
yes .. Nick .. let's give it a go .. we will add a TRI forum for feedback

even though time is quite limited this side, I shall try to push this through

good stuff

TheEd
Hi TheEd,

Absolutely no pressure, I know you are very busy at the moment! I've gone through the moving country gig too, so I know the associated pressures well :duh:

I'll post again after the 4km t.t. on 6th November

Hope you and yours are travelling well!
N