Running Information Forums

Full Version: sub 50min 10k a realistic goal?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
A little bit about my background:
I've been running a lot since 2007 and have concentrated in training mostly for marathons so I thought 10k might be a nice change Smile I don't know a lot about training for shorter distances so I turned to internet for advice.

2008: Marathon in 4:56
2009: Marathon in 4:34

10K PB is about 54min.

This year I haven't been training specifically for a race, but I still average about 40-50km/week with one longer run on the weekends (1.5h-2h time on the feet). I occasionally include some speedwork in my training, but not nearly as much as I should :whistle:.

Decided to sign up for a 10k race since I really haven't trained for anything as short before. My PB is from 2009 and was ran two weeks after the marathon.

I'm currently looking at the sub 50min training program as a starting point and would like to know if that's a realistic goal.
I currently run about 4-6 days a week, but I also crosstrain 2-3 days a week with weights or other physical activities (tennis, rock climbing etc).

I'm running the 4k time trial tomorrow, but I don't have a track nearby. I'll probably run it on flat ground and let my HR monitor keep track of the distance Smile Should I provide data for "laps" or should I just post the final results?
Hi and welcome to the forums sinkpet

you have provided a lot of good background info and the more data you provide back from your 4km time-trial the better for me to be able to provide advice more specific to you.

from the amount of training you are currently doing and (judging from your feedback, you should be able to slot into the sub 50 minute 10 km schedule quite effectively

till your further 4km feedback

TheEd
I ran 4km after a brief warmup and my time was 19min 11s. Smile The route I ran had a few gently sloping hills, but was mostly level. I ran on a sandy surface if that makes any difference :mmm:

I recorded my speed and avg and peak heartrate every 1km and got the following results:

1km: 4'44" avg HR: 167 peak HR: 171
2km: 4'46" avg HR: 165 peak HR: 174
3km: 4'47" avg HR: 167 peak HR: 172
4km: 4'54" avg HR: 168 peak HR: 174

Haven't done any time trials in ages and after the run I felt like I could've gone a bit harder. Also I ran 6km timetrial in 18.5.2010 and my time was 28min 57s and avg HR 176. So at least there's been some progress concerning my HR.

I've also been running one easy 30min run a week on my VFFs (Vibram Five Fingers) to work on my feet a bit more.
OK .. this should set us on our way ..

the pace for the 4 x 2km session should start at 5.10 per km for 10:20 for the 2km

once we have feedback regarding that session (HR data = great) .. then we can plan more

I am taking it that the long run over the weekend should be fine .. consider doing the 2k session Friday and the longish run Sunday switching back to the 1k session next Tuesday and from there we can see how you doing

congrats on aiming at a sub 50 minute 10km

Cheers

TheEd
I ran the 4x2km session. I was feeling a bit more tired than usual, probably because I didn't get that good of a meal beforehand. This was also run on normal roads and not on track. Sand/Asphalt surface.

I also got a 14km run done on sunday in about 1h 15min, so nice and easy pace for me.

Here are the times and avg HR data from the session:

1st: 5'10"/km avg HR: 167
2nd: 5'11"/km avg HR: 170
3rd: 5'10"/km avg HR: 169
4th: 5'12"/km avg HR: 172

I'll do the 1km session on tuesday and I'll probably have time to clock them on a track for a change of scenery Smile Should I keep the same pace or go a bit faster?
if you managed the 2k session at 5.10 per k then for the 1000's you increase the pace per km by 10 seconds

so you will do 6 x 1000m @ 5 minutes per k with Rest 60 seconds

nice going and enjoy

TheEd
Got sick last week, so I didn't get any running done. Focused on getting better.

Continued the training yesterday with 6x1000m on track. I was able to finish all of them in 5min/km. Don't have my HR monitor here atm, so no HR data. Sad If I remember correctly my HR was ~170 during the speedwork.

I'll continue to follow the sub 50 training program with a couple days of easy running today and tomorrow.
hope all goes well

TheEd
Ran a couple of easy 5ks in the last few days. Today's restday, like I didn't have enough of those while sick Tongue Am I aiming for the paced 5k only just sub 25min or can I go faster?
you could consider restarting with the cycle from next week as you do not have much to gain by doing the 5k paced over the weekend

when do you have a race planned for?

Cheers

TheEd
Pages: 1 2