Running Information Forums

Full Version: Revisiting the 10k programs again
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
(12-06-2020, 01:42 PM)TheEd Wrote: [ -> ]good sessions wookie .. look to be moving along nicely

juggle the running according to what you can and cannot do after Day 8 ..

make sure to enjoy

great to see things active again

TheEd

Thanks, dropped the ball a bit this weekend due to travel. Hope you had a good weekend!

Day 9 - 30 mins - missed (work day and travel)
Day 10 - 60 mins - missed (too busy)
D 11 - rest - certainly didn't miss this (would have done one of the other days runs but didn't find time)
Day 12, 5 km, did today which should have been day 13. Started with a 1km warm up, did the 5km set (no way I can do 10 at this pace yet) then timed 2x2 min rests. Image posted below.

Regarding the 10km day. I genuinely have concerns (partly because I'm nervous) but also due to volume/distance. I've not run 10kms in a few years regardless, let alone as a race day. Wondering if I should be looking at 7.5km or 8kms instead? I'll keep going through the days and will check in by the end of the week.

Looking back I did
8.5 May 13
8.8 km May 11
8.6 km May 5

8.33 July 2019

July 30 2018 was the last time I did 10 km distance.

Thanks, have a great week.

Hi wookie, yes .. build up the confidence before tackling a 10k .. work on running 4 or 5km time-trials as well as 6 to 8k paced runs at projected 10k pace .. don't do anything to hurt the head, we have plenty of time

so enjoy and build the confidence

TheEd
Hi TheEd, hope you're doing well!

Did my 8km "race day" today.
It was forecast to be a windy day so I went first thing after breakfast which is very different from my usual routine of running between 3-5pm. So I timed it poorly and went an hour after a large breakfast.
Did pretty well though, would have liked to be faster but it was still windy and my food was definitely causing some stomach aching (not bad though).

First row on the bottom is the warmup, followed by the 8km and then two 2:00 rests to show HR recovery. Let me know if you want any additional feedback. Of the whole program I think I only missed two days when I was away and the fartlek due to horrible weather and difficulty escaping family obligations. Also moved race day back 3 days.

Will cycle into the program again after the established rest days.

Have a good rest of the week -> weekend.

Hi wookie, are you happy with the cycle and looking forward to improving on everything

when do they open events on your side?

TheEd
(25-06-2020, 05:37 AM)TheEd Wrote: [ -> ]Hi wookie, are you happy with the cycle and looking forward to improving on everything

when do they open events on your side?

TheEd

Yeah, going well - enjoyed it. Don't have anything to "train for" so it keeps the mind on something. 
Doubt there will be an event until at least October, which by then my hockey season may or may not start. But I'm happy to do a few cycles through and see what I can get my 10 km to.
I was thinking next cycle I'd conclude with a 9 km race day, then 10? Sound reasonable?

That should take me to pretty much the end of August (taking into account family vacations etc.). After that we'll see how the sports world is looking. To be honest, not sure I'd do a crowded race anytime soon regardless.... Shrug.

Thanks!

Great stuff wookie ... we waiting for park runs to reopen this side though they have an event today (Friday)

on we go TheEd
(26-06-2020, 04:42 AM)TheEd Wrote: [ -> ]Great stuff wookie ... we waiting for park runs to reopen this side though they have an event today (Friday)

on we go TheEd

Good to hear, how did the event go?
I've got an ice time (hockey) next Sunday, the 12th. Will be interesting to see how that goes / what it's like. Not sure I'm ready to be standing side by side with a bunch of sweaty out of shape, out of breath men haha.

Did day 1, 70 minutes, probably my longest run in... well since my 21k race in 2012, day 2 was 30 mins, I felt tired, like I wanted to sleep during the run. And then my 2k sessions on Wednesday as posted in the pic below.

Paces were 4:24, 4:22, 4:23 and then a 4:34. Not sure what happened in the 7-8 km session, it was hard, looked at my watch one time and I was in the 5:00 range. I had the wind at my back in sets 1 and 2, so was going into the wind on 3 and 4. I can see my AHR on set 3 was 191 (OMG can that be accurate?) might explain why I died on set 4? At 191 I'm surprised I didn't die on set 3... that's got to be an error. I've pasted my HR shot for that third set below. I recall feeling like absolute crap at the start of that set, that it was very hard to get to a good stride/pace or rhythm and I wasn't sure how I'd finish set 3 let alone 4... But to hit that high of a HR?

Checking in right now my resting HR is going between 39-45, intentionally relaxing for a minute watching it fluctuate on my watch.

Today is my longest day on feet day. Likely will do 70 minutes again.
EDIT - did 11.25 kms, 75 mins, nice sunny day with some wind that helped keep me cool - was a nice run

Have a great weekend!

Did my 30 min day after the long run, I was slow and heavy Smile" alt="Smile" title="Smile">
Didn't get the 30 minute day done yesterday, daughters birthday was on my feet until 9pm (even wearing cowboy boots at one point) so took the day off.
Did my 6 x 1 km today. Was a tough day. I'm wiped. Image / data posted below.
Times were 4:12 - 4:18 - 4:24 - 4:25 - 4:27 - 4:28
Was a different area than I'm used to, took my daughter to swimming lessons and had to go in that area, not hills, but some small up and downs here and there, under roads/bridges and a pretty gusty 3 x 1 km back.
did 1:15 timed rest, then likely took 15 seconds to reset watch etc.
Took a 2 min walk after all the sets then had to jog back to the car to go pick her up, so had a 3:41 jog after that.

Thanks - hope all is well!

Hi wookie, hope you recovering from the session .. life sometimes gets in the way of running Smile

it's an easy week so bouncing back should take place

onwards TheEd
Messed up my days a bit
Instead of:
6 x 1km
30 min
60 min
rest
5km day

I did
6 x 1km
rest
60 min
5km day today.
Will do 30mins tomorrow

Long story, but I accidently mixed up the rest day, then did the 60 min day, realized I'm travelling on Friday and doing the 5km day would be very unlikely, so did today and can probably find 30min random job somewhere on the road tomorrow.

Herre's how it went (screen shot 1), my HR went pretty high again at the end. Can you have a look? See screen shot 2 and #3 is zoomed into the end when it really gets up there. Just want to make sure I'm not about to die haha. That said, within 6 minutes of finishing I feel perfectly fine.

Thanks, have a great weekend!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5