Running Information Forums
Sub 20 min 5k, 3 runs a week - Printable Version

+- Running Information Forums (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Training Zone (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-The-Training-Zone)
+--- Forum: 5km Training (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-5km-Training)
+--- Thread: Sub 20 min 5k, 3 runs a week (/Thread-Sub-20-min-5k-3-runs-a-week)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Sub 20 min 5k, 3 runs a week - GavMoon - 22-09-2011

Hi,

I only just discovered this website and it's great, so first of all thanks for maintaining such a useful and interesting online resource.

I'm settling back into running after ons and offs over the last 8 years and my first target is a <20 min 5k. Three runs a week. I've read parts of the extensive thread with Beatule but are there any training programs on the site (I couldn't find any) that would avoid having to read through 51 pages of thread jotting down each workout? Smile

Thanks in advance,
Gavin

Sub 20 min 5k, 3 runs a week - TheEd - 22-09-2011

Hi Gavin and welcome to the forums (and thanks for the compliment)

first off .. with B .. she did not have much time to train and only wanted to run 5k on the least amount of training which would disrupt her overall routine

so what we need to know is whether you want a similar structure or if you indeed want to also run and race 10km

the overall structure of the program is similar for the 10k you need to give a 4k time-trial test and for the 5k you need to report back with a 1600m time, 4 laps on a 400m track

once you have that time, you need to provide data of how often you can and want to train and the sort of running you are currently used to, also mentioning your longest run currently

also mention whether you have had injuries previously and whether there are points we need to know beforehand

once we have that, then we can get you going

hope this helps

TheEd

Sub 20 min 5k, 3 runs a week - GavMoon - 22-09-2011

Hi TheEd,

Thanks for your quick reply.

At the moment I wouldn't be looking to run more than 3 times a week because I like to do other stuff too. I go to the gym 2x a week and as summer is coming I may be getting out kiting or cycling some days. At the moment I'm doing a slow run on Sundays and an interval and fartlek session during the week. I've had this routine for a couple of months now. Previously the 3 runs a week were just runs without much structure. At the gym I include legs and core work. Mainly stabilising or glute med / VM exercises: barbell squats, 1-leg squats, hamstring bridging, etc.

As for the history and injuries, here we go (it's long - sorry)
Always did a fair amount of sport at school. Rugby, athletics, swimming, badminton. At uni I did a variety too but rowing was my main sport (in 8s and 4s) and trained up to 9 times a week for that. Started getting into jogging in late 2003 as preparation for the 2004 London marathon. My longest long run was 15 miles which took around 2 hours. Unfortunately on one run I got a blister, changed the angle of my foot so it didn't hurt, and ended up with peroneal tendonitis. Had to pull out of the marathon.

I turned to cycling and later in 2004 cycled across the UK with a friend. It was 150km/day for 10 days straight and I had all the luggage because my friend hadn't trained. I got pretty saddle sore so started riding out of the saddle for long periods but ended up with an achilles tendonitis at the end of day 6, which was probably made worse over the next 4 days.

For the rest of the year and into 2005 I was easing back into cycling and running but never felt I could push it for fear of the tendon. Switched to swimming mid 2005 and began training 3 times a week with a club. Kept this up until mid 2006, when I finally sorted out the achilles by seeing a physio (it was actually the big toe tendon nearby) and eased into running again. This didn't last long because of a lumbar/glute strain from surfing. I got over that and ran a 1h41m half marathon in 2007. I was pleased with the time because I only had 2 months to train (getting over the lumbar problem) and didn't have any real running foundation to build off. The first training run was literally 5 mins, then try 10 mins, build up to 20, etc. Didn't risk any speed work either.

After the half I trained for another race (18km) a couple of months later but ended up with ITB syndrome - this is the end of 2007 now. I saw physios and it was linked to lack of glute activation but through 2008 I was only jogging gingerly and still felt it could come back. I did a sprint triathlon in late 2008 (just under 1h30) and it did come back during the run. I saw another physio at the start of 2009 and she was the first one to point out that over the last 5 years I'd spent most of my time injured or recovering and so I should take it easy and just build back slowly.

I did that and got up to running around 40mins but a glute strain later in the year stopped that for a while. (I blame sleeping on a plane in a bad position.)
In 2010 I was swimming again, cycling a bit and doing light running. There was another glute strain in April (can't remember why now - maybe bad posture in the office) but after that I started doing a lot of glute and hamstring strengthening and I haven't had trouble since. I started running regularly around Sep 2010 and that has continued until now. The only scare was I felt the ITB coming back in February (I'd built up to running for an hour - probably built up too quickly) but I caught it early and haven't had any problems since. The longest I've run recently is 45 mins last Sunday (don't want to risk building up too fast again..)

Please let me know if you need any more information. I can probably run the 1600m on Tuesday and let you know how I go.

Cheers,
Gavin

Sub 20 min 5k, 3 runs a week - TheEd - 23-09-2011

Thanks for all the data Gavin and I can refer back to this over time if any old aches and pains flair up at some time again .. here's hoping it does not occur

from what I read, your needs are very similar to B ... so once we get the 1600 time-trial feedback we can roll something

the basic format will be similar to that of the 10k structure, only changed to suit the individual

so here's to your 1600 feedback

enjoy

TheEd

Sub 20 min 5k, 3 runs a week - GavMoon - 27-09-2011

G'day The Ed,

I ran 1600m on the treadmill today (haven't found a track yet) and it took 6'32".
A few comments:
- Felt I could have gone faster.
- Glad I didn't go faster given my history of injuries. Happy not to overdue it until I've got more miles in the legs.
- It took the treadmill about 10s to get up to speed.
- I started at 15km/h but after 3-400m I was concerned I wouldn't be able to keep it up so slowed down to 14.7
- After 1000m I was still feeling ok so increased gradually every 100m until I was at around 15.8 and for the last 100m I went up to 17.8
- Breathing was pretty controlled all the way: 3 strides per inhalation, 3 per exhalation.
- The alarm I felt at 3-400m may have been because the interval training I've been doing hasn't been further than 4-500m.

Cheers,
Gavin

Sub 20 min 5k, 3 runs a week - TheEd - 27-09-2011

Thanks for this .. which days would you like to make your running days?

Tuesday and Thursday are normally the mid-week days for quality and then a longer run over the weekend

will this slot in with your routine?

Cheers

TheEd

Yep that's what I do at the moment (longer slower run is on Sunday) so sounds good.
Cheers.

Sub 20 min 5k, 3 runs a week - TheEd - 27-09-2011

Are we able to start with 3 x 1600m Rest 3 minutes on Thursday?

will give the pace shortly if agreed

TheEd

That sounds great, looking forward to it.
Cheers

Sub 20 min 5k, 3 runs a week - GavMoon - 29-09-2011

Hi The Ed,

It's Thursday here so I went and did my 3 x 1600m with 3 mins rest. I set a pace of 4'20" - so around 7 mins for each 1600m. Not sure how that compares to what you intended?

I think maybe Tuesday's 1600m might have taken more toll than I realised because I drank masses of water that afternoon, and ate more too. During the 1st interval today I didn't feel quite as fresh as on Tuesday but I got through it ok. By halfway through the 2nd interval my legs were feeling a bit heavy and it took some concentration to keep going. The 3rd interval if anything felt easier (maybe because I knew it was the last one) although the final 400m were pretty hard. Breathing same as last time - 3 strides in, 3 strides out, but breaths were deeper than on Tuesday.

Looking forward to any comments and the next instructions.
Cheers,
Gavin