Running Information Forums
To race is but a dream... - Printable Version

+- Running Information Forums (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Training Zone (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-The-Training-Zone)
+--- Forum: 10K Training Feedback (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-10K-Training-Feedback)
+--- Thread: To race is but a dream... (/Thread-To-race-is-but-a-dream--1559)

To race is but a dream... - shadydaz - 04-10-2011

Hi,

Just found the site and am well impressed with the quality and postive infleunces and sensible instruction and guidance given as required.

I used to run as a boy (county standard, UK) but grew into other sports, most recent being rugby, which I had to give up due to a sholder injury about three years ago.

I started smoking when I was 19 and recenty stopped due to Pleurisy. I have just passed seven months non smoking. Part of that decision also included a lifestyle change in general and the next step in my plan is to start running again.

I eat a pretty sensible, healthy diet and since Christmas have gained 3 stonnes in weight so now a healthy 168lbs ish. (I am 5"11 so just about looking a normal weight now), I spent the last 16 years between nine and ten stonne.

Up to a few weeks ago my RHR was between 52 and 60 BPM, so have maintained a reasonable level of general fitness despite not excercising? As I sit here it is 53 BPM.

Over the last few weeks I started jogging, nothing too hard, with warm ups, stretching, warm downs and stretching. Also stretching in the evenings and on the rest days to help keep the muscles loose. This is the info I have have recorded so far:

DAY 1
Dist (KM): 2.83
Dur (min): 16:15
Pace (m/km): 5:44
(ran full distance)

Day 2
REST DAY

DAY 3
Dist (KM): 4.92
Dur (min): 32:00
Pace (m/km): 6:30
(bit of walking on the uphills, 90 second rest at halfway)

DAY 4
Dur (min): 28:00
Pace (m/km): 5:41
(bit of walking on the uphills, 90 second rest at halfway)

DAY 5
Dist (KM): 2.85
Dur (min): 14:00
Pace (m/km): 04:54
(mostly dowmhill)

DAY 6
REST DAY

DAY 7
Dur (min): 29:36
Pace (m/km): 6.0
(bit of walking on the uphills)

DAY 8
Dur (min): 27:00
Pace (m/km): 5.29
(no stops or walking from this day to present)

DAY 9
REST DAY

DAY 10
Dist (KM): 4.72
Dur (min): 25:28
Pace (m/km): 5:23

DAY 11
Dist (KM): 4.72
Dur (min): 25:00
Pace (m/km): 5:17
(negative splits each KM, 200M uphill sprint finish)

DAY 12
Dist (KM): 3.94
Dur (min): 21:40
Pace(m/km): 5:29

Even though I haven't excersiced in a long time a feel good and am pleased with what I have done so far, importantly not pushing myself too hard. I am taking vitamin supplements and cod liver oils to assist me and have not lost any weight, appetite remains good.

I haven't got any heart rate or cadence info but am considering looking into the kit to measure this also.

My initial aim is to be hitting 5.2km (Route length) in 25mins on a regular basis. I can then decide what to do from there.

Is there any initial feedback or advice please?

Regards,

Daz.

To race is but a dream... - TheEd - 05-10-2011

Hi Daz and welcome to the forums

congrats on making a positive lifestyle change

you seem to be progressing quite well

maybe you would like to consider

Prepare for your first 5 kilometre event

even if this may be a little easy for you at least you then get into the rhythm of our overall program development

as this leads on to 8k then 10k and from there you can decide what to do next

you more than welcome to provide feedback and we can see how things progress

what say you?

TheEd
ps.. when last did you have a full medical check-up?

To race is but a dream... - shadydaz - 05-10-2011

Hi,

Many thanks for the quick response. I happened to read the 5km plan last night and thought about incorperating some of the training into what I was already doing.

I may pick this up WK 2 DAY 4 from tomorrow, however, I will make day 5 a full rest day, day 6 a 30-35 min easy run, DAY 7 a rest day with stretches, then continue with the programme from Monday as DAY 1 WK 3.

How does that sound?

Also, my last full medical was Feb when I was ill. I will book myself on for another this/next week.

Also, I did purchase myself some shiney running shoes last week, so at least that is sorted!

This morning I completed the following:

DAY 13
Dist (KM): 3.94
Dur (min): 23.38
Pace (m/km): 5:59
(easy run with talk test)

Legs were tired this morning completed the course without stopping, should be able to manage slightly faster pace on following easy runs once in programme. (probably about 5:45 pace)

Many Thanks,

Daz.

This is good and if you able to slot in comfortably then that will be great

don't look too much at pace but more towards being relaxed and enjoying things

let it come together with ease

enjoy

TheEd
ps.. your heart rate is quite low for an untrained person, so for caution, see if you able to discuss that the medical covers a heart check-up .. pure caution

Hi,

My heart rate has always been like this, at my peak fitness it was about 45 bpm resting, although that was a few years ago now! I have always had slightly low blood pressure too. This may have changed recently with the weight increase, I will be sure to ask the GP how this may affect my training.

This monrings run was indeed more about staying relaxed and concentrating on my running form, than about times. I am experienced and realistic enough to know what my body is capable of at the moment and will not push beyond what I think I am capable of acheiving. For now I just have to build up strength and stamina. Speed will come later hopefully!

Thanks for the help TheEd!

Daz.

excellent Daz .. need to be cautious due to this being the internet so no one-on-one makes matters more difficult to assess

enjoy

TheEd

I have arranged a general health reveiw the the nurse at work, I may be able to get her to do a lung capacity test for me through this. Would info like this be of any use?

Now I just need to sort out a convenient day to visit the GP...

To race is but a dream... - shadydaz - 06-10-2011

This morning I stretched thoroughly then completed the following:

10 x Outer thigh lifts with 10 second lift pauses
10 x Heel lifts with 10 second lift pauses
3 x 10 stomach crunches
10 x press ups

Those thigh lifts were a killer! I felt good this morning and legs feel strong, was itching to go for a run but will stick to the programme. Looking forward to a lie in tomorrow until 06:30!

To race is but a dream... - shadydaz - 07-10-2011

Well, I phoned the Doctor's this morning to book a medical and they said I couldn't have one on request. I need to put it in writing and they will tell me how much it is going to cost.

What a joke. They won't be getting a written request, they will be getting a written complaint.

To race is but a dream... - TheEd - 07-10-2011

lol .. good luck with things Wink

enjoy the weekend

TheEd