Running Information Forums
To race is but a dream... - Printable Version

+- Running Information Forums (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Training Zone (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-The-Training-Zone)
+--- Forum: 10K Training Feedback (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-10K-Training-Feedback)
+--- Thread: To race is but a dream... (/Thread-To-race-is-but-a-dream--1559)

To race is but a dream... - TheEd - 17-05-2019

Hi Daz, nice training cycle

you doing the right thing holding back and you receiving the benefits

your natural ability under the hood is coming to the fore and you not killing it with training which is causing too much fatigue

be careful with the 5k paced that you don't get carried away

the more training you get under the belt showing restraint, the more you laying a good foundation

no need to test yourself on the 5k, start off slowly and the stretch out a little over the last 1km

enjoy TheEd
ps.. keep the powder dry Smile

To race is but a dream... - shadydaz - 19-05-2019

16/05/19
Cycle day 9
5.68km
32:23
5:52 ave pace
Ave HR 131
Max HR 143

17/05/19
Cycle day 10
5.61km
32:18
5:45 ave pace
Ave HR 128
Max HR 144

18/05/19
cycle day 11
Rest day!!

19/05/19
Cycle day 12
5km paced session

2km warm up
5 km paced 26:07
2km warm down

Average HR 137
Max HR 171

So, being a little out of touch with everything I used a preprogrammed 5km time trial on the Garmin and as a result it will not give me the splits. So going off feel and what the watch said at the time. The effort pretty much followed the same pattern as the 1km intervals. That was the plan, the first three km were IRO 5:25 pace with the 4th being 5:15 maybe. I know the last KM was felt more of a struggle than the last one on the intervals and didn’t finish as strong so was definitely a bit slower about 4:37 pace then I guess looking at the maths which would be too far off. Anyway, the session felt fully under control. The first 4 km were easy and I didn’t over exert on the final one, just ramped up the pace gradually with 700m left. It was hot with little breeze and followed two days of hard physical work. Very pleased with how it felt given the circumstances. I know it may seem a bit quick but I didn’t feel like it was low 26, that time stolen off the 27:30 was mostly in last two km I think.

Wind down week now. The event is on Monday 27th so how should I play the last week? Thinking of moving the fartleks back a day and maybe sticking in and extra easy - the day before, maybe up to about 8 km? What do you recommend Gavin?

Weekly weigh in tomorrow morning.

Hope everyone enjoyed the weekend!

Darren.

To race is but a dream... - shadydaz - 20-05-2019

Change of plan

today - 30 min easy
Tuesday 10km Easy
Weds - 30 min easy
Thurs - 3 x 5 mins fartleks at race pace
Fri - 30 min easy
Sat - 30 min easy
Sun - Rest
Mon - RACE DAY

Does that look OK?

Thanks,

Darren.

To race is but a dream... - TheEd - 21-05-2019

Hi Daz, that looks OK

how was your recovery after the paced run?

TheEd

To race is but a dream... - shadydaz - 21-05-2019

TheEd Wrote:Hi Daz, that looks OK

how was your recovery after the paced run?

TheEd

Legs got heavier as the working day progressed yesterday, hence the slight change of plan to bring the remaining days of the cycle in line with race day. They feel much better this morning for the gentle plod last night, still a bit tight and "coiled up like a spring" today. feeling the hams/quads a bit still. Calfs are OK as I use compression socks for the paced sessions:

20/05/19
Cycle day 12.5 (extra day in build up to race day and 5km paced recovery)
5.67km
33:21
5:52 ave pace
Ave HR 129
Max HR 141

Easy 10 km tonight

Keep forgetting to weight myself :taped:

HR since last update has been as follows daily:

17th 50
18th 50
19th 50
20th 49
21st 49

Steady as she goes.

To race is but a dream... - TheEd - 21-05-2019

Hi Daz, hopefully the legs bounce back

TheEd

To race is but a dream... - shadydaz - 21-05-2019

TheEd Wrote:Hi Daz, hopefully the legs bounce back

TheEd

Legs were good on the 10km Perhaps I described the feeling incorrectly, coiled as in not tight but ready to spring!!

21/05/19
Cycle day 13
10.02km
57:34
5:44 pace
Ave HR 135
Max HR 155

Very evenly paced run. Quickest km was 5:40, slowest was 5:51. HR only spiked at end a bit to the 155 otherwise would have been peaked at about 143, kept it under 140 best I could despite the heat, hence the low average. Legs still feeling it a little bit through this route but it’s flatter than a polished marble tabletop round here so minimum stress on them.
This 10km felt worlds apart from last time I ran than route (pre cycle I think). Really starting to feel the difference. This was casual and in control without struggling or gasping for air. Things are looking good. Wink

To race is but a dream... - TheEd - 23-05-2019

Excellento Daz

long may the progress continue

onwards

TheEd

To race is but a dream... - shadydaz - 24-05-2019

22/05/19 -
Resting HR - 48
Cycle day 14
5.63km
33:09
5:44 pace
Ave HR 133
Max HR 145

23/05/19 -
Resting HR - 49
Cycle day 15 - fartleks 3x5mins R60
7.66km
43:30
5:41 pace
Ave HR 137
Max HR 150

2km warm up
1st @ 5:20
2nd @ 5:18
3rd @ 5:26
2km warm down

Trying to run off feel and gauge what pace I think I can hold for as long as possible on Monday. Was aiming for about 5:25 - 5:30 so either the watches are lying and I am pushing a little harder as I think I am too slow or I am not paying enough attention to them and my "feel" is a bit quicker than my planned pace. Either way I was a little disappointed with these times, for the simple fact that they are not only inconsistent, they are too quick on the first two efforts. I have been a while out so maybe shouldn't hold too high an expectation in terms of finding consistency in my pacing so soon. Not that there is a lot of deviation and its not a big issue so early on. Just didn't want to take too much out of the legs.
I'm feeling good this morning though and now getting excited for Monday.

Trying to convince my mate (who i will be running with) to follow the standard race plan. 1st km a little quicker (circa 5:10-5:15), then settle back into planned pace (circa 5:25-5:30) I am thinking to at least 5km. See how I feel at halfway, start ramping it up slightly from 6/7km if the legs are good and try to run negative split on the second 5kms and finish as strong as possible.

Been remembering my very first 10km event which was maybe 4 years ago next weekend!! went out like a rocket and was peppered by 6/7km :laugh: managed to finish strong though. I think the data etc still on here. that was 43mins ish I think. I will be back down that way soon :tonguepop:

hopefully easy 30 tonight and tomorrow ( time is tight I am on Daddy duties this weekend)

have a good weekend everyone!

To race is but a dream... - shadydaz - 26-05-2019

24/05/19 -
Resting HR - 48
Cycle day 16
5.65km
33:17
5:53 pace
Ave HR 134
Max HR 143

25/05/19 -
Resting HR - 48
Cycle day 17
5.63km
33:07
5:53 pace
Ave HR 131
Max HR 145

26/05/19
Resting HR - 51
Cycle Day 19
Pre race rest day.

Weight 68.2kg
Bodyfat 14.7%
BMI 21
I remembered to get on the scales !!

Pretty nervous about tomorrow. Not sure why RHR is up a bit this morning, may be nervous tension, but I feel ok. I dont feel like I am coming down with a bug or a cold. Done a few stretches this morning and will do the same later to keep lose.

Bit of bad news this morning from my mate who I am running this with. He took his young son down to London this morning to do the 1 mile event, whilst they were running in wave 18, a you boy tripped up in front of my friend and had landed on his ankle and injured him. It looks pretty swollen in the photos so not sure if he is going to be able to do the event tomorrow. If he does it wont be at planned pace so it looks like i am running solo tomorrow. i kind of wanted the reassuring presence of someone i know at least for the first half but i will have to suck it up and get on with it haha.

Next update will now be post race. Chow for now!!