Running Information Forums
To race is but a dream... - Printable Version

+- Running Information Forums (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Training Zone (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-The-Training-Zone)
+--- Forum: 10K Training Feedback (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-10K-Training-Feedback)
+--- Thread: To race is but a dream... (/Thread-To-race-is-but-a-dream--1559)

To race is but a dream... - shadydaz - 27-05-2019

Race Day.

after a nervous 6 hours or so sleep i was up early in order to get down to London for this Big Event 10km. RR was steady at 50 when i woke up. I managed half of my breakfast oats!

I was very apprehensive about running this after such a long time out of the scene and running in general. As you can see from this blog, I have been on and off and fast and slow over the years. I haven't done many big events such as this - just a big regional half marathon. Anyway onto the interesting stuff

I was in the second wave of starters, it was a long nervous wait on the start line. My friend had hurt his ankle the day before but was on the start line with me after i had administered medical assistance as best I could to get him through it! Weather was good, started cool-ish and warmed up through the race, possibly hit up to 20 degrees C and on the tall streets of Westminster there was little breeze and breaks of sunshine gleaming periodically through breaks in the skyline. I set off at a steady pace and was on plan for the first km. The second was a little too quick for my liking so i over compensated in the third. I had left my friend on the start line but he somehow miraculously caught me up end the start of the third km. As the course narrowed and my friend struggling to hold the pace and me slowing to egg him on and try and keep him with me, the third KM was overly slow. From the water station at the start of the 4th km, which i took a bit on board, from that point I just seemed to get quicker. I was fully in control, breathing, form, energy expenditure. Everything fell into place nicely.

Now here is the interesting bit. I think some adversity helped me along here. I was wearing three trackers. Milestone POD, Garmin and fitbit. Normally i would say the Garmin is Mr reliable when it comes to distance and pace but today it was all over the shop. Every time I glanced at it the pacing was off from what I felt i was running. I know the fitbit runs a bit slow on pacing but today whilst I don't think the splits are wholey accurate on my training runs today they were probably more consistent to the kind of race i ran. I will post both sets below and let you see the difference. I didnt push myself to the absolute limit as that wasn't on the agenda, but I pushed pretty hard given that I realised with two km to go that sub :taped: may be on the cards! however it wasnt to be as my wind up was so long that I nothing left to steal back the extra few seconds needed from the slow 3rd km.

Garmin:
1 05:06.4
2 05:10.0
3 05:40.7
4 05:10.6
5 05:25.2
6 05:17.8
7 04:48.0
8 04:44.8
9 04:26.3
10 04:25.3
11 00:22.4
50:37
10.09KM
1st 5km 26:33
2nd 5km 24:04

fitbit:
1 05:05
2 05:09
3 05:48
4 05:15
5 05:12
6 05:06
7 05:06
8 04:39
9 04:39
10 04:27
11 00:10
50:37
10.05KM
1st 5km 26:29
2nd 5km 24:07

The milestone pod went beserk and only measured it at 7.5km!!

Average HR 150
Max HR 179.
7 mins fat burn zone
23 mins cardio zone
23 mins peak zone

CHIP TIME 50:36
Chip 5KM 26:38
According to official timings I ran a 23:58 last 5km!!

So pleased with that and do not know how I managed to wind it up like I did and carry that through to the end. There was plenty in the tank and whilst the last km was harder work than I thought it would be i still managed a few hundred metres of sprint finish.

Two things noted. First; getting over taken in the first 4km by maybe two thousand people because I was pacing myself was pretty demoralising but i knew I would maybe get a lot of them back later in the race. Secondly; having the ability to wind it up like that means you have to overtake A LOT of people in the last 5 km. At least 1000 people. this slowed me down a bit and perhaps to my benefit as I was able to carry the pace marginally faster km by km into the end.

In summary of the event itself, a great experience and 23000 entrants is really something to behold! A nice flat course but you need to be in elite section to run a decent time, too much human traffic otherwise.

So I have a question or two coach. Next race is a local 10 km event on 30th June. think its hilly course but its only a few miles away and gives me chance to do the closest race to my house that is on the calender. That means next cycle starts 12 June so a bit of time to kill in between. I could throw in half a cycle, do first 12 days or so to get those core elements into the legs and finish with the paced time trial as the marker for next cycle OR some sort of consolidation period and a few base miles to build up the endurance. What do you recommend?

Either way I shall be out for a gentle recovery run tomorrow/Wednesday.

To race is but a dream... - TheEd - 28-05-2019

nice going Daz and a nice write up

appreciated

consider doing some aerobic runs before starting on the cycle again

consider the Build up program as a guide

https://www.time-to-run.com/training/10k/buildup.htm

and even if it is every 2nd day you run

what do you think of this?

TheEd

To race is but a dream... - shadydaz - 28-05-2019

TheEd Wrote:nice going Daz and a nice write up

appreciated

consider doing some aerobic runs before starting on the cycle again

consider the Build up program as a guide

https://www.time-to-run.com/training/10k/buildup.htm

and even if it is every 2nd day you run

what do you think of this?

TheEd

Sounds good and along the lines of what I was implying with the base milage reference. Best not push the legs/body too hard too soon. May take this time as an opportunity to begin introducing some strength work too.

Thanks,

Darren

To race is but a dream... - TheEd - 28-05-2019

Hi Daz, during the week, no need to do more than 1hr every 2nd day

on the weekend, either Saturday or Sunday, consider running up to 90 minutes

you can break all the runs into 20 minute segments, stopping to stretch every 20 minutes. This will make the runs even more manageable

onwards

TheEd

To race is but a dream... - shadydaz - 28-05-2019

TheEd Wrote:Hi Daz, during the week, no need to do more than 1hr every 2nd day

on the weekend, either Saturday or Sunday, consider running up to 90 minutes

you can break all the runs into 20 minute segments, stopping to stretch every 20 minutes. This will make the runs even more manageable

onwards

TheEd
noted thanks. May just skip it tonight then and see how legs feel tomorrow. Stretching the legs out 2-3 times a day now whether a run day or not. I did forget to mention I almost suffered some severe cramp in the quads post race and just feeling the right quad today a little which I think was due to the cramping (As I felt it come on I managed to stretch it out before it got too bad but based on today was maybe a tad too late). I feel ok for a plod but there doesn’t seem to be any point stressing the legs too much. I will leave it until the routine is more established and the legs are recovering quicker.

To race is but a dream... - shadydaz - 31-05-2019

28/05/19 -
Resting HR - 49
Rest Day

29/05/19 -
Resting HR - 49
8.23km
48:49
5:55 pace
Ave HR 129
Max HR 143
Cut Short a little due to tight right Quad. Stopped to stretch at 4km and 7km.

30/05/19 -
Resting HR - 49
Rest Day

31/05/19 -
Resting HR - 49
12.19km
69:53
5:44 pace
Ave HR 133
Max HR 149
Nice early morning run. Right Quad very slightly niggly still. Should be good by Sunday for longer run. No stretching on this one as had limited time before work. Pace more consistent on this mornings run and very comfortable, HR spiked a little at end again otherwise very consistent also through the run.
Havent felt the quad since km10 on this mornings run. it was only slight during the run, nowhere near the uncomfort of Wednesday. Stretching regularly as suggested.

Feeling good in general. Can feel the difference in the legs since the cycle/race and have welcomed the consolidation period as the first cycle did take a bit out of me.

Looking to do 16km Sunday. Just found a route with some nice long uphill stretches at 16km so may try that out as has a lot more elevation over distance than anything I have run so far. One uphill stretch is nearly 4km continuous!! driven it a couple of time wondering what it would be like to run up it haha! Its gentle but long, will be like being back on the treadmill!!!

Will probably stick with this 12km route next week, Monday, Wed and Friday, then look to do a 4km TT next Sunday ready to start cycle on 12th.

How does this plan sound for the next week or so? Post TT will be cut back to two 35 min easy runs Monday and Tuesday before cycle starts.

Darren.

To race is but a dream... - shadydaz - 03-06-2019

01/06/19 -
Resting HR - 50
Rest Day

31/05/19 -
Resting HR - 51
16.01km
91:05
5:41 pace
Ave HR 141
Max HR 175
https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/3706801357 it was a big hill :tonguepop:
Hot and humid despite it being 06:30. Stopped for 5 mins at halfway to stretch the legs and reset the body a bit. No right quad issues as predicted. absolutely fine and fully recovered now. Legs were good in general. Got a few small toe blisters building now but nothing major. HR was up a bit due to lack/broken of sleep night before. This run was a complete Sweatfest!! keeping the hydration up and under control both pre and post runs.
Now starting to hit new lows on HR through day so anticipate the RHR dropping a little over next few weeks. I guess that's a product of the Aerobic phase of base mileage.

Out again tonight. Its a bit cooler today so will appreciate that later!!

Darren.

To race is but a dream... - TheEd - 04-06-2019

Hi Darren, do try to sort the feet out. If you get blisters it can often lead to all sorts of compensation related problems. In other words, you change your foot placement or favour the one side more than the other and an imbalance etc can occur

looks like you quite happy with your training progress and it is all looking good and solid

TheEd
ps.. I was looking for your heart rate in the graph, does it provide the HR graph?

To race is but a dream... - shadydaz - 04-06-2019

Good Morning!

The Blisters are very small and on the ends of the toes where I inadvertently curl my toes up sometime. The blisters dont hurt at all and are very small. I just need to stop curling my toes up Big Grin

The HR data is on a different interface - Fitbit. Try this:

https://www.fitbit.com/activities/exercise/22509711718

If the link doesn't work I will get it on here as a photo perhaps or share it on Facebook.

03/06/19 -
Resting HR - 49
12.03km
67:43
5:37 pace
Ave HR 140
Max HR 152
Felt good. First 5km slightly at tempo (5:30 pace) then eased off.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zfy6u4apu9kd7sk/Photo%2003-06-2019%2C%2017%2059%2054.jpg?dl=0
Data from run here. Test link

04/06/19 -
Resting HR - 50
Rest Day

Darren.

RE: To race is but a dream... - shadydaz - 06-06-2019

05/06/19 -
Resting HR - 49
12.01km
69:57
5:49 pace
Ave HR 136
Max HR 151
Felt a bit heavy legged and tired.

06/06/19 -
Resting HR - 50
Rest Day

Plodding along nicely. I intorduced a small, light core and strength workout on Tuesday evening which I forgot to mention, probably the reason why legs were a little sore. Will be looking to do some core and upper body work tonight.