Running Information Forums
Sub 35 - Printable Version

+- Running Information Forums (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Training Zone (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-The-Training-Zone)
+--- Forum: 10K Training Feedback (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-10K-Training-Feedback)
+--- Thread: Sub 35 (/Thread-Sub-35)

Sub 35 - TheEd - 06-01-2013

how are things with you now Jamie?

Cheers

TheEd

Sub 35 - jamieh - 07-01-2013

Hey there,

All good, thankfully. Took Thu/Fri/Sat completely off running and had massage (it was tight peroneous brevis again). Had some great swim/bike sessions instead.

Ran an easy 5k yesterday (Sunday) evening and legs felt incredible. Absolutely no calf pain. Also ran 8k today with last 2k cruising at 4min pace - again felt great.

Planning a 10k tomorrow, 60mins Wed, then in with the 2ks on Thurs. Does that sensible enough?

Have a league XC race on Sat, but near term goal race is 10k on Feb 17th ( my pb course from last year). And I'd like to get some fast 5ks in between now and then Smile

Sub 35 - jamieh - 10-01-2013

5x2k (R90), Track

6:36
6:40
6:39
6:41
6:38

Weight: 78kg
Weather: 4 deg, light breeze (5mph)

Surprised myself this morning. Thought I might have lost more fitness with the days off for injury + steady running for the last 2 weeks but actually I felt pretty snappy when I got to the track. In fact it's my best 2k session ever, again Smile

Was cruising through 1k in 3:18-3:20 and lengthening stride from there to finish with a strong last lap on each rep. Absolutely no sign of the brevis injury... we definitely made the right decision resting instead of jumping into the 2k's last week (thanks).

My massage lady said I was the most 'balanced' she'd ever seen me on Tuesday so fingers crossed am back on track.

8k XC on Saturday.

J

Sub 35 - TheEd - 10-01-2013

Jamie, this can be a good year for you, I think you beginning to understand 'talent' more and the hazards of over-training

nurture the ability .. be fresh on the line and the results will come

for you things are looking good

Cheers

TheEd

Sub 35 - jamieh - 15-01-2013

Hey there,

Great XC race on Saturday (ankle deep mud, knee high rivers Smile). And finished with lots of fast guys around me so happy with the result.

Unfortunately my lower soleus has flared up again, though. This time on the left side!! I took Sun/Mon completely off running. Just swam/biked. Was hoping I'd be ok for 1k's today but it's still a tiny bit sore. Having a massage at lunch.

Hopefully it'll feel ok tomorrow and can go ahead with track then.

Clearly something biomechanical I need to think about as its happened after the last 2 races (though on different sides). The right lower soleus now seems a LOT thicker and stronger since it was injured last time... so maybe the same will now happen with the left.

Fingers crossed.

Sub 35 - TheEd - 16-01-2013

OK .. let me know how things are, as I don't recommend you training if you carrying an injury

2013 has only just begun

over to you

TheEd
ps.. good to see you happy with your event

Sub 35 - jamieh - 16-01-2013

6x1k(R60), Track

3:11
3:15
3:19
3:15

Weight: 78kg
Weather: 0 deg, 3mph wind

A few lessons learned the hard way today: 1. don't do a track session as first session back after 3 days off running. 2. Don't do a track session the day after a deep tissue massage Smile

Good news is absolutely no Soleus pain. But legs were jelly in general unfortunately. They felt AMAZING jogging to the track, but by about the 3rd rep they were screaming all over. Jogging home everything was sore - like after the first time a went for a proper 'training run' about 5 years ago Smile

Nice easy run tomorrow before rest on Fri. Will look to just do a moderately paced 5k (10k target pace) and finish it strongly on Saturday.

J

Sub 35 - TheEd - 17-01-2013

please keep things easy

Chat soon

TheEd

Sub 35 - jamieh - 21-01-2013

Nice controlled 17:00 parkrun 5k on Sat in the snow:

3:25
3:25
3:23

Quads were a little tight from some hard biking but did exactly as planned and felt great at finish. Nice easy 15k in the snow yesterday which eased the quads nicely, feeling good this morning.

I have a 10k on Feb 3rd, then another on Feb 17th (both fast courses). I'd also quite like to finish the cycle I'm on at the moment (i.e. 400's this Tues) and try for a fast 5k this coming Saturday.

Is that feasible? What would you suggest, training-wise, beween this Sat (5k race) and the next Sunday (10k race)?

Sub 35 - TheEd - 21-01-2013

Hi Jamie .. good to hear you in good nick

rather drop the 400m session and consider a 3 x 1600m session @ anticipated 5k pace with 3 to 5 minutes in-between .. the intention of the long rest is aimed at no fatiguing you but still coming to terms with the tempo

what are your thoughts?

TheEd
ps.. 3 x 1600m is often an alternative session for when we play it safe