Running Information Forums
10K Training to Improve Time - Printable Version

+- Running Information Forums (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Training Zone (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-The-Training-Zone)
+--- Forum: 10K Training Feedback (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-10K-Training-Feedback)
+--- Thread: 10K Training to Improve Time (/Thread-10K-Training-to-Improve-Time)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

10K Training to Improve Time - graham - 30-03-2009

Hi. I will be starting the Sub 50 minute training program in two days time. I have been running regularly since the start of this year 2009. I have joined official 10K races almost every weekend. My time has improved from 1:06 to my PB of 53:30. The improvement of my time I believe is a combination of regular training runs (program downloaded from the internet) and getting a coach to adjust my foot strike. He taught me the POSE technique. My calves were sore for several weeks but I have now adjusted.

I have been having difficulty improve my times - hovering in the 53 mins to 56mins range for the past month. Last Sunday, I ran a 10K race but had positivie splits. 25mins in the first 5K and 29.5mins in the second 5k. I felt fatigue in the second half.

Its how I got to your website.

I would like to start your program April 1 and fortunately I have a race in April 19. Your program dates Day 19 for race day -- fitting exactly to my sked. Will post my run results in the next 19 days and will hope to improve under your guidance.

Best,
Graham

10K Training to Improve Time - TheEd - 06-04-2009

and how are things going Graham?

10K Training to Improve Time - graham - 07-04-2009

Hi. Thanks for the reminder post. I was able to start my training using the program on April 1 exactly for the Day 1 schedule. My training went as follows:

Day1
I enjoyed the first day of my training. My pace was about 2:50 to 3:00 mins per km. Is this slow or just right?

Day2
I did my 30 min easy run at the tread mill at my gym in the morning. My problem was I was forced to play badminton in the afternoon. I played for about 2 hours. I was worried because I had a quality training the next day.

Day3
My times were:
1st – 2K: 10:10
2nd – 2K: 10:15
3rd – 2K: 11:00

I felt some fatigue on my 3rd round. I was pointing to badminton game the day before. I am a bit disappointed with my times.

Day 4-6
I did not run at all as I had things to take care of the last 3 days.

Day 7
Since I wanted to catch up on my training, I ran the long run schedule today. Replacing the rest and easy runs with the days I missed training (Day 4-6) I ran in the treadmill for 1 hr 30 mins plus 5 mins cool down. (did not finish up to 1:45). I felt good because of my rest the past 3 days. I even tried increasing my butt kicks during the run.

10K Training to Improve Time - TheEd - 07-04-2009

Hi graham

I think you may have Day 1's pace a little mixed up but low level flying is not allowed Big Grin

OK .. now let's break this down .. never try make up days you have lost, this schedule is a balanced schedule to allow for recovery between sessions and development

so if you miss a day then don't try make it up

as for the 2000's this is a tough session so don't be disheartened as it will get easier

So where are you now with the training?

Cheers

TheEd

10K Training to Improve Time - graham - 08-04-2009

I am so sorry. The 2:50 to 3:00 mins was for 400 meters! My bad.

When you say don't make it up do I start on what I missed or do I continue strictly on the schedule. For example today is day 8. That means I do the 5x1K even if I missed the last 3 days?

I can understand a bit the science behind the program -- recovery sessions sandwiching quality ones. Can I do the following (after having done the long run yesterday):

day 8 (today) - easy 30mins
day 9 - easy 30 mins
day 10 - 5x1K R60-90; 4min 45 to 50secL
day 11 - Rest
day 12 - 5K paced run (Starting here I am back on the saddle on the schedule)

Am trying to take advantage of the Holy Week here in Manila, Philippines. We have a 4-day holiday starting tomorrow.

Cheers Coach!

10K Training to Improve Time - graham - 08-04-2009

Some additional questions regarding incorporating items in the program. I would like to do some hill work training but the place where I train doesnt have any safe area. What I have is the Precor treadmill at the gym which has an incline option. I can max out the incline and voila - I have hillwork. Can I incorporate it in the easy run workouts?

Also I saw some leg drills in you tube that I want to try out. Some activation, speed and bounding drills. Can I incorporate this in the program? If ok where?

Cheers!

10K Training to Improve Time - TheEd - 08-04-2009

graham ... no no

no hills and no drills

as written elsewhere in these threads and taken directly from

The Beginners section

As a beginner do not get too involved in all the jargon and 'new' ways of training

running is about consistency the major science of running that all runners need to learn is KISS ([SIZE="1"]keep it simple stupid[/SIZE])

we can assure you that with patience and consistency you will improve, the idea is to train whatever natural ability you have to a new level, not to labour it with too much but to nurture it to the next level

so work with us and you will arrive at the next level, it may be quickly or it may be slightly slowly but you will get there and hopefully it will be enjoyable

and yes, 1000's tomorrow

please be patient and provide feedback and we shall reach the destination

Cheers

TheEd

10K Training to Improve Time - graham - 11-04-2009

Hi Coach!
Ok I understand about keeping it simple.

I was not able to do the 5x1K in day 10 and rested. I also rested in day 11. Today is Day 12. I did the 5K paced run. My time was 25mins and 25 secs. I will do the 10K easy tomorrow.

During my 5k paced run, I noticed some fatigue in the second half of my run resulting in positive splits. Am I reaching too much for a sub-50 time? Do I need more long runs to create a foundation for my endurance? Just throwing the questions out there.

After I complete the first 19day program cycle, I re-do it again right? Do I add anything to it (i.e. make the rests shorter for example?) Also, its running season here in manila and we have 10K races every Sunday which I really love to join. Ok if I incorporate it in the program? if ok how do I make my adjustments.

Thanks for being patient with me coach.

10K Training to Improve Time - TheEd - 11-04-2009

If you have not got any races coming up next week then you can consider starting the cycle form Tuesday = Day 1

once we get through this cycle together we can see where you stand and take things from there

if you would like to consider doing a 4k time-trial on Tuesday, so we have a 4k marker then it would also be great and then we can better answer the sub 50 minute 10k question

and yes, I do think you capable of a sub 50 minute however lets do it by the numbers prescribed

Thanks

TheEd

10K Training to Improve Time - graham - 12-04-2009

Hi.

In doing the 4K time trial, do I go all out and look at the stopwatch every lap for example? Or do I make a conscious effort to target for example 1min50 x 10 laps around the track or 2mins x 10 laps?

Cheers! Happy Easter from where we are.