Running Information Forums
Short/Longterm development. - Printable Version

+- Running Information Forums (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Training Zone (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-The-Training-Zone)
+--- Forum: 10K Training Feedback (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-10K-Training-Feedback)
+--- Thread: Short/Longterm development. (/Thread-Short-Longterm-development)

Pages: 1 2 3

Short/Longterm development. - dpaeth - 24-11-2009

Hey TheEd!

I just finished a season of cross country, with my final race being a hilly/rollercoaster 8km. Finished in 34:36, a terrible time for me (last year off of only interval training I ran a 10k in 41:07,never having run more than 5km in training). I should have been at most around 32 minutes, but I had shoe/foot problems, so I just went a steady pace and had to try my shoes 3 times with cold/clumsy fingers. Other than the last 500m or so when I kicked hard, it wasn't up there with some training runs difficulty wise. That was on Nov. 14th, I haven't run at all since then. My foot is fine, the problem arose because of the shoes.

Past training has been 30-40 minutes for "filler" runs (Monday/Wednesday/Friday), intervals on track Tuesday/Thursday (last session was 8x400, 200m recovery, all between 74 and 76 seconds), and long runs of about 75 every other week on Saturday.

I want to start training for the spring/summer, with the following races on hand:

Saturday March 13th 5km
Saturday March 27th 5km

Tuesday June 15th 5km
Friday June 18th 5km/10km

Thursday July 1st 4.5km
Saturday July 17th 10km

(Also a possible 1500m (indoor track) on Feb. 19 or 20th. This would be my first track race and would be more for the experience than the time, could be a good speed workout/indicator?)

I was planning on doing the 4km time trial on Monday, November 30th(as sort of a before/after indicator), and then staring the Offseason training on Tuesday. I would do the two weeks, and then go into the Buildup phase. After that I would either do the 2nd set of 3 weeks building, or start the sub35 training.

My main question is this: I have almost 4 months between now and my first two races What should my training look like until then? There are quite a few possibilities regarding the amount of cycles per buildup, sub35, sub33. This also raises the question: should I even do the offseason training? I feel it would be wise to, seeing as I haven't run at all in two weeks, but I also think that I might only need one week of it compared to two just to get the legs moving again.

Goals: My main goal is to be in killer shape for XC season next year (races late October, mid November(and to do well at Nationals (this year I bombed due to foot/shoe issues mentioned). I want to see our team do well and I was a letdown this year. I also want to get more of a taste for racing, as I have only done 3 races ever (2 XC, one road).

Short-term goals: I want to break 32 for a 10km and hit low 15 for a 5km. I would also like to break 9minutes for a 3k. Obviously this would be in mid summer, not the spring. For the spring, times are not as much of a concern, more staying healthy and to continue building that foundation for fall.

So, with all that in mind, do you have a subscription for me, Doctor?

Short/Longterm development. - TheEd - 24-11-2009

Hi dpaeth and welcome to the forums

firstly I would like to suggest a format which differs to what you have mentioned but lets first do the 4km on the 30th and then we can work from that

If you would like for me to assist you then you will have to make the commitment to accept the advice as there is a fair amount of coaching experience behind these fingertips and the keyboard

having goals is great however having the patience to go through the process needed to reach your goals is most important

I know of your goals - Short-term goals: I want to break 32 for a 10km and hit low 15 for a 5km.

however one step and then one block at a time with smaller reachable goals along the way

so to start - the 4km result for analysis

Thanks

TheEd

Short/Longterm development. - dpaeth - 24-11-2009

Thanks, theEd. I can do that, for sure. Will go for two easy runs with some strides on Sat/Sunday for rust-busting. One small chunk at a time is fine with me! Where are you based, by the way? The UK?

Doug

Short/Longterm development. - TheEd - 24-11-2009

these days the South of Sweden actually

thanks .. till later

TheEd

Short/Longterm development. - dpaeth - 30-11-2009

Hey TheEd. Last week of the semester, uber busy with a paper, project. Won't get a chance to run, or sleep properly for that matter, for a couple days (will be done projects, etc for Weds night) Should I just reschedule the TT for next Monday, or do it the first free day I get? Will be able to from Thursday onwards. Saturday morning maybe?

Doug

Short/Longterm development. - TheEd - 30-11-2009

do it as soon as you can and we take it from there

enjoy

TheEd

Short/Longterm development. - dpaeth - 11-12-2009

Hey TheEd.

So yesterday was my second run in a month, with being all-around inactive for that 30 days period (end of the semester).

I had a 30 minute window to do the 4km time trial in (including warmup, strides, cooldown) so needless to say, I probably should have just skipped it and gone for an easy 20. (Weather: Icy and -10 Celsius)

I felt terrible most of the time, and wasn't able to hold up nearly the pace I should have been able to. I ended up running 3km in approx 12 minutes (approximate due to a long light I had to wait for.) - That sucks! I want to say "it's not accurate", but obviously it has to be SOME indicator my fitness. I think if I ran everyday for the next week to get rust out of the legs, and and then took my time to do the warmup without time constraints I would improve this number by at least 10s/km.

I think that there was a disparity in my training previously in that I a) wasn't running enough mileage, and b) was running too slow on any given day but intervals, meaning that I can immediately "click into" a 400m or 600m interval pace, but anything significantly longer and my body instinctively wants to go to the other pace it has had ingrained into its muscle memory, which would be around 5:15/kilometer for longer runs. I think that the 1km and especially 2km reps will be great for me.

As the snow has hit, the outdoor track has been closed down, although there is an old dirt track at a high school nearby and I potentially have access to an indoor track as well. I have some spikes in the mail, so outside intervals are still an option Wink

Thoughts?

D

Short/Longterm development. - TheEd - 11-12-2009

boy you Canucks are on the cold side already ... brrrrr

an indoor track is your best call and the use of a treadmill is probably needed as well

cpaeth .. let's not read too much into the result but instead get you started somewhere

we will start with the structure (read structure) of the sub 40 minute 10km program to start

let's look to get a few light runs under the belt and to see whether you are able to do a 5 x 2km session next week

would this be possible, how would you achieve this?

Cheers and great to be on the go

TheEd

Short/Longterm development. - dpaeth - 11-12-2009

Hey. Quickest reply I've ever got! I guess it's because its the afternoon over to pond.

I was thinking the same thing (re: sub 40 for now), but a little curious as to why structure right away (perhaps to build off of past training?)

I will do easy runs on sat, sun, mon, and on tuesday start the sub40 program.

As far as the 5*2km, there is
a)a marked running train I could do it on
b) use my garmin on a flat road
c) indoor track
d) treadmill.

I am not keen on the idea of the indoor track as it is pancake flat and very tight corners, plus it can be crazily busy. Treadmills - accuracy? and having it "run for you". I think it would be best if I set up a 2km loop or route in a slow, flat part of town.

Yesterday was the warmest all week. Earlier it was -16C but with wind chill about -27. It had been -5 to -8 up until Sunday.

D

Short/Longterm development. - TheEd - 11-12-2009

my reasoning behind the structure is because u not new to running so we can get something going immediately and play by ear chopping and changing things around so that by the time the end Jan comes you have structure

I do believe the treadmill is going to be best for you during this time of year

then instead of 2km if you struggle with the distance look to achieve running 8 minutes pace

Over to you

afternoon time this side of the pond

Cheers

TheEd