Running Information Forums
Question runner39 - Printable Version

+- Running Information Forums (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Training Zone (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-The-Training-Zone)
+--- Forum: 10K Training Feedback (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-10K-Training-Feedback)
+--- Thread: Question runner39 (/Thread-Question-runner39)

Question runner39 - TheEd - 27-01-2008

Feedback runner39:
I was reading your 10k training programs and was wondering if you go into some detail about them, they look like a good general plan but maybe too general, I am a 35:30 10k runner looking to go sub 34:30 this season, I have in the past run hard intervals in my racing season and needless to say my races have been sub par, I notice your program has the hard intervals in the main part of the program as well as races, please discuss

Reply:
Hi runner39, thank you for the question. Such questions help for the runner to better understand the programs. The 10k Training Programs provide the 3 week cycle which is meant as the development period of the athletes run towards achieving a Personal Best. You will also note that the hardest part of the training schedule is from Day 03 to Day 09 .. and you only run a race on Day19

Also look at Program Tips for further advice and note that it takes into consideration your current state of fitness via the use of the 4k time-trial before starting on the schedule

Do take note, that there is also a Race Period which is aimed at the more experienced and faster athletes. We don't recommend such race periods for just any athlete because too many athletes look for the short cut to success and would simply do the race period training instead of going through the whole process. And it can be risky for the less experienced .. the chance of injuries and sickness are very high during the race period.

There is a process to these schedules, what we recommend is that you read the Program Tips and then provide feedback and we will set you on your way. When you delve further into the programs you will discover there is a rest period followed by a build-up period, training period and a race period. When doing all the cycles you will soon discover that the intervals are very much a development factor in the program and should not affect your performance on Day 19

There is so much more we can discuss however I will try not to do data overload.

These 10k programs have been used most effectively in a "Squad Training Environment" and have brought many successful results, applying them to internet training needs more caution in application and that is where the feedback of these forums can avoid 'the mistakes' you have experienced in the past

I hope this helps

TheEd

Question runner39 - runner39 - 27-01-2008

Thanks for the reply,

I have a firm understanding of training principles and agree the 10k program looks very sound. Where I am at in my training right now closely resembles the build up phase in the 10k program.

In regards to the racing phase, if I was racing bi-weekly how would the training look:

M 30mins to 1hr easy recovery *
T 30mins to 1hr easy recovery *
W warm up then 3 x 1600m with 3 to 5 min Recovery **
F warm up then 6 x 1min fast with 1min slow ***
S Rest
S ?

M 30mins to 1hr easy recovery *
W warm up then 3 x 1600m with 3 to 5 min Recovery **
F warm up then 6 x 1min fast with 1min slow ***
S Rest
S Race

I find the racing phase the most difficult to train because I often do too much and never am fully rested, therefore racing poorly.

thanks

Question runner39 - TheEd - 27-01-2008

OK .. let's do it this way

when do you want to attempt sub 34:30 for 10k

provide a 4k time-trial result

we need to know how many weeks to the 10k attempt, the races before and after the event and we will take it from there

reply to this and then we have something to work on

Cheers

TheEd

Question runner39 - runner39 - 27-01-2008

would like to run sub 34:30 in May, ran an 8k road race today in 27:58 (PR by 30 secs) and actually went through the 4k in 13:50 so I am assuming I could run a 4k time trial faster not sure how much though

my race schedule for the winter and early spring is tentative, I am really keying on the following races:

May 4 - 10k road race
May 24 - 10k road race (sub 34:30)
June 9 - 5k road race
June 29 - 5000m track (sub 16:10)

thanks

Question runner39 - TheEd - 29-01-2008

You can certainly do the training program for the sub 35min .. 10k

http://www.time-to-run.com/training/10k/sub35.htm

Do you currently do am runs?

Cheers

TheEd