Running Information Forums
Improving 10k time at altitude - Printable Version

+- Running Information Forums (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Training Zone (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-The-Training-Zone)
+--- Forum: 10K Training Feedback (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-10K-Training-Feedback)
+--- Thread: Improving 10k time at altitude (/Thread-Improving-10k-time-at-altitude)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33

RE: Improving 10k time at altitude - TheEd - 21-03-2020

Hi markco, you will be able to adapt so all should be OK .. you can use the cycle machine quite effectively .. which we can discuss .. the pulse during this period does not need to go high, it is a simple process of keeping the body ticking over .. don't think on intensity .. you will bounce back quite well from this

please write down what you are planning exercise wise and we can balance things

all the best TheEd

RE: Improving 10k time at altitude - MarkCo - 21-03-2020

Hi TheEd

Great - thanks, sounds good. I did 40 mins on the cross-trainer today at an easy-moderate setting - Av HR 145 and 550 calories on the sports watch, so I guess a similar intensity to an easy run.

My plan at the moment is to alternate some days between the cross-trainer and cycle machine on lower resistance to get my body used to the new movements, for 30-40 mins or so keeping the heart rate as it would be for an easy run (140-145). I'll also continue doing some press ups, dips, ab exercises.

After perhaps a week of that, I'm thinking I will try to roughly follow the program in terms of the "principle" of each day, but keeping intensities lower as discussed before and alternating between cycle and X-train. For example, the long run could be 90 mins light resistance on the cycle keeping HR 130-140. 5x2000 could become 5x8 mins on the cross trainer at a medium resistance with HR 155-160 and 90 seconds rest between.... etc. Does that sound OK?

Will keep you posted how I'm getting on over the next week or so.

cheers

RE: Improving 10k time at altitude - MarkCo - 24-03-2020

Hi TheEd

Last few days...

22 March
Wow - I hadn't been this achy for ages! X-trainer definitely stresses different muscles to running - outside of calves and thighs achy. Rested and did some stretching.

23 March
15 mins on cycle machine, Av HR 139, 193 cals. I've always found cycle machines difficult, hams were burning after 15 mins despite fairly easy setting! I'll have to build this up gradually!
Also 30 mins on step machine, av HR 143, 405 cals. Felt a bit more aerobic than the cycling but much easier on the legs.

24 March
Varied body weight workout, also using 5L bottles of water as weights including putting several in a suitcase for some squats! Included press ups, dips, rows, shoulder raises, sit ups, "cycle" crunches.
Also 45 mins on cross-trainer, Av HR 144, 612 cals. Felt easier today.

Contemplating going to the underground car park in our apartment building and running around it like a mad person tomorrow!

Keep safe everyone!

cheers

RE: Improving 10k time at altitude - TheEd - 24-03-2020

well done Markco, thanks for the feedback, may it be motivational to those who read the forums

stay safe

TheEd

RE: Improving 10k time at altitude - shadydaz - 25-03-2020

Good Job Mark, Keep your chin up in these testing times.

RE: Improving 10k time at altitude - MarkCo - 03-04-2020

Thanks TheEd, Daz - hope you're both doing well.

Thought I'd quickly update with recent activities. Still in full lockdown here so haven't been outside (or even out of the apartment) for 2 weeks now! It has been frustrating to not be able to get out and run, but still improvising and taking things day-by-day at the moment. I will never grumble about going for a run ever again after this!!

25 March
20 mins cycle machine (Av HR 128, Max HR 150)
30 mins step machine (Av HR 138, Max HR 145)
40 mins body weight exercises / weights

26 March
Rested

27 March
40 mins Body weight / weights workout (Av HR 104, Max 143)
30 mins Cross-trainer (Av HR 137, Max 146)

28 & 29 March
Felt a bit off / tired so rested both

30 March
1 hour Cross trainer (Av HR 140, Max 154)

31 March
Tired again - rested

1 April
40 mins body weight exercises and weights.

2 April
Something different! Jogging up and down stairs! Felt it was a really good workout and obviously more similar to running than the X-trainer/bike/stepper. Went easy so it wasn't too intense.
150 storeys / 2,100 steps / 375m vertically in just over 30 mins.
Av HR 147, Max HR 163.
Could have continued a lot longer, but thought it best to stop there. Glad I did, as my calves are very tight and achy today!

Might do an easy recovery on the bike today and some upper body weights.

Stay safe everyone!
cheers

RE: Improving 10k time at altitude - TheEd - 04-04-2020

Hi Markco, good on you .. hope the exercise is helping in keeping the cobwebs away

hope things are OK in general and thanks a stack for the feedback

onwards TheEd

RE: Improving 10k time at altitude - MarkCo - 04-04-2020

Cheers TheEd.

Well, I never knew calves could get this achy. I can barely take pigeon steps!! I thought that running up/down stairs would be pretty much the same as running so didn't need to build up - how wrong I was. Just as a warning if anyone else wants to attempt this - start way under your capability (for me 10-15 mins would have been sensible) and build up from there!! Big Grin

All the best!

RE: Improving 10k time at altitude - TheEd - 06-04-2020

mmm .. one step at a time has a new meaning for you

stay well TheEd

RE: Improving 10k time at altitude - MarkCo - 10-04-2020

Hi TheEd

Haha, indeed! Ah well, I don't have far to go these days so the pigeon stepping for almost a week wasn't too much of a problem Smile
Did a few recovery workouts to try and loosen them off:

5 April
Rested

6 April
50 mins X-trainer (Av HR 127, Max 139)
Getting much easier and lower HR for the same resistance.

7 April
Rested

8 April
40 mins body weight and resistance exercises
Plus 35 mins X-trainer (Av HR 142, Max 151)

Unfortunately after this workout, my GPS/HR monitor watch (which has been misbehaving for a while) completely gave up the ghost and so I now don't have anything to record HR!

9 April
Legs completely recovered... so went for the stair run again!
Same number of flights - 150 (2,100 steps / 375m vertically).
Shaved 21 seconds off the time I did last time (although I wasn't trying to).
Felt great throughout - let's see how the legs recover this time Big Grin

cheers