Running Information Forums
Improving 10k time at altitude - Printable Version

+- Running Information Forums (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Training Zone (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-The-Training-Zone)
+--- Forum: 10K Training Feedback (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-10K-Training-Feedback)
+--- Thread: Improving 10k time at altitude (/Thread-Improving-10k-time-at-altitude)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33

RE: Improving 10k time at altitude - MarkCo - 25-07-2021

Hi TheEd

I hope you're well.

Thought I'd quickly check in to say I am still fully intending to restart the program soon... A combination of factors has meant my training has been significantly reduced lately, but I have on average managed approx 1 run per week but with some significant gaps.

Unfortunately at the moment I have injured my foot (from an awkward foot plant on a pebbly beach!). I managed a run last week but stupidly ran through pain and it's aggravated it and now swollen, so resting, icing etc until I have full range of movement and no pain doing so.

Feeling a bit more motivated now also due to return of Parkrun and hope to register a sub 20 there as soon as possible as a springboard to other races .

Cheers

RE: Improving 10k time at altitude - TheEd - 26-07-2021

thanks for the feedback markco

recover well and ease back slowly

good luck TheEd

RE: Improving 10k time at altitude - MarkCo - 12-11-2021

Hi TheEd

I hope you're well. It took a few weeks to fully recover from the foot injury, however I didn't really seem motivated to pick up the training over the summer and ended up just going out for an occasional trundle every week or so.

The past few weeks I've been feeling more like running, so have started slowly picking up the mileage and running a bit more often, mostly easy to medium pace runs of 5-11km.

Short term goals are to get my body back used to doing 3-4 runs a week and then a time trial to see where I'm currently at. I'd then like to start doing some races again, starting with a park run then some 10ks. Maybe next year a half marathon.

Once I'm back up to 4 runs a week and done a time trial, would you advise starting back on the 10k program (perhaps starting back at 3x2km and 4x1km?), Or would it be best to start back with the off period or build up?

Appreciate your help as always. Back to it!!
Cheers,
MarkCo

RE: Improving 10k time at altitude - TheEd - 15-11-2021

Hi Markco .. great to hear you moving forward

you can do a 4k time-trial to see what level you are at and then there is no harm in exercising caution, and starting with 3 x 2k

over to you and onwards

TheEd

RE: Improving 10k time at altitude - MarkCo - 06-03-2022

Hi TheEd

Hope all is well with you. I thought I'd update as not posted for a while.

Back in November I was building the mileage back up. I must have increased mileage/intensity too quickly, as despite feeling I was running well within myself I developed exertional rhabdomyolysis and had to take some time off running to ensure all was ok. After a month off, I started with some very easy jogs and have basically been continuing with that - just 5 or 6km and have only increased the pace slightly over time running 2 or 3 times a week. This seems to have kept the fitness ticking over, albeit at a lower level than before obviously and I haven't done any faster running.

I would like to get back to it, but it has knocked my confidence a bit as of course I don't want a repeat of that. So, no current racing plans unfortunately, just ticking over and will very gently add mileage and a little intensity when I feel I can, while ensuring good hydration, nutrition, not running when tired etc.

Any advice welcome if you have experience of this. Many thanks

Cheers

RE: Improving 10k time at altitude - TheEd - 07-03-2022

Hi markco, sorry to hear things have been difficult

normally rest helps recover from what you have described, as well as an increase in protein intake to assist muscle recovery

if possible look to do some swimming to help aerobically as well as muscle recovery

not sure if this is of any assistance

TheEd

RE: Improving 10k time at altitude - MarkCo - 09-03-2022

Hi TheEd

Thanks, that is helpful. I used to enjoy swimming many years ago, but haven't been for a very long time. Perhaps time to rediscover it!

Off for a easy paced run now!

Cheers

RE: Improving 10k time at altitude - TheEd - 12-03-2022

How have things been going since we last posted?

TheEd

RE: Improving 10k time at altitude - MarkCo - 13-03-2022

Hi TheEd

Nothing much to report, just continuing with the easy 5-6km runs at the moment. Will be building back up slowly rather than trying to aim for a particular race or event yet.

Will report back when I've got a bit more news!

Cheers

RE: Improving 10k time at altitude - MarkCo - 24-04-2022

Hi TheEd

Back to building up again at the moment, keep getting knocked back recently. Unfortunately I got Covid not long after my last post and so had a couple more weeks off and have now started some short easy runs again. It does seem I've lost further fitness but hopefully it'll start coming back soon!

I certainly haven't forgotten the programme here and look forward to hopefully being able to post up progress soon.

Best
Markco