Running Information Forums
Sub 40 Min Training - Printable Version

+- Running Information Forums (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Training Zone (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-The-Training-Zone)
+--- Forum: 10K Training Feedback (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-10K-Training-Feedback)
+--- Thread: Sub 40 Min Training (/Thread-Sub-40-Min-Training)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

Sub 40 Min Training - ihenman - 24-06-2010

I have just started the sub 40 min training program coming off a race on the weekend. 10 K in 42:34

I've been training the past 4-6 weeks adding in some tempo runs and 1K repeats in an effort to get down below 40 Min for the 10K. Prior to this I have been doing easy runs since January 3-4 times a week, and have completed 2 other races this year

5K - 19:25 (pretty flat course)
10K - 42:07

I've only got back into running the beginning of this year.

I'm 31, but previously in my late teens I was a competitive runner on the track and in cross country.

What I am wondering is, I have been having some tenderness on the inside of my right shin (splint I suppose) I take a day off and back to it and all is usually good.

I am investigating my mechanics to see if I can spot something to correct as I just got new inserts to aid with high my high arches.

Question is am I sacrificing my potential improvement if I skip some of the 30 min easy runs for Walks or Cross training that day?

Yesterday I did an easy 60 Min run of 11.5K and plan on doing the 2K intervals tomorrow.

Love your thoughts on this.

Cheers,

Ian

Sub 40 Min Training - TheEd - 24-06-2010

welcome ihenman

first off .. shinsplints

are often related to overuse injuries and are very common for a person in your situation where you are making a comeback and then looking to increase quality

skipping the days for maybe 2 cycles is not a bad thing .. that is the easy 30 minute runs

also consider taking 20% off your long run time

with the onset of shinsplint problems consider monitoring your calf muscles as tight calf muscles lead quicker to shin problems

keep monitoring things and for now consider only doing 4 x 2k

then provide feedback thereafter, don't get to involved in the hype of having to train hard at the moment until you get past the shinsplint 'probability' because if you get the injury you have to treat it and rest is the main ingredient to start

hope this helps

TheEd

Sub 40 Min Training - ihenman - 24-06-2010

Thanks for the insight. I'll spend more time focussing on my shins before and after runs also on off days to ensure they're staying limber.

I'll also skip some of the 30 min easy runs for now and opt for a walk with our dogs or maybe a bike rid of swim.

Tomorrow I'm going to do the 2K intervals and I'll start with 4X as you've suggested. This is my first real intense interval work so I am OK with reducing it. I have 3-4 more 10K's this season planned so lots of time to reduce my PB.

Will post my results from the 2K intervals tomorrow.

Cheers,

Ian

Sub 40 Min Training - ihenman - 25-06-2010

Whew...Well let me start by saying I am not 19 any more Wink

I went out with the intention of doing 4 X 2K today, although I was still having tenderness/soreness on the inside of my right tibia.

I warmed up, stretched out headed out for the first 2 K loop. I am not doing these on a track, I am doing them on a 2K loop on reasonably flat road / side walks.

I went out way too fast for the 1st K of the first rep doing it in 3:36 then slowing a lot for the 2nd K. I took my rest then started the 2nd rep but mentally wasn't in it so stopped after 1 K.

Did a 3rd 2K loop quite a bit slower then the first then decided to call it quits for today partially because of shin pressure I was feeling and also it was a good learning experience but didn't want to hurt myself.

so

Rep 1 - 7:52
Rep 2 (1K) - 4:17
Rep 3 - 8:10

This was an excellent learning experience since it's probably the first real planned interval training I've attempted in 10 years.

I will know for next time to take it far easier in the first one and it's not a race. I believe I could have done all 4 maybe not in 7:50 but in the 8 :00- 8:15 range which I feel is respectable given my past to races have been in the 4:16 / K race pace.

I am little concerned though about my shin. Tomorrow is a day off... and pending how I feel on Sunday I will attempt the 1.5H - 20% (as you suggested) easy long run, some where in the 1:10 - 1:15 range.

-Ian

Sub 40 Min Training - TheEd - 25-06-2010

Ian .. let's deal with the shin and look at the treatment mentioned under the shinsplint link

begin self-treatment now, rather safe than sorry

http://www.time-to-run.com/injuries/thebig5/shinsplints.htm

please provide feedback

TheEd

Sub 40 Min Training - ihenman - 25-06-2010

Sounds good. I think I knew that was the right way to go but was avoiding it. Will start with it today and take a few days off and report back.

Sub 40 Min Training - ihenman - 28-06-2010

I took the weekend off of all running/biking etc. had to mow the lawn and such so spent a bit of time on my feet but kept it to a minimum. Soreness on inside of my tibia has subsided and when I press on the area it was sore before it feels better.

I iced and took ibuprofen all weekend to reduce any inflammation.

I am going to take tomorrow off as well and maybe tuesday and try to focus on stretching as I didn't do enough of that this weekend.

I feel I will ease back into it with maybe a couple of steady 30-40 min runs later this week and then a longer run next week?

I am scheduled to do my next 10K race on July 11th, although I am considering either skipping it or down grading to the 5K.

-Ian

Sub 40 Min Training - TheEd - 28-06-2010

HI Ian .. we can play it by ear and see how things work out

running every 2nd day will be better than everyday for now

don't consider the longer runs for now

make sure your calf muscles stay loose

onwards and forwards

TheEd

Sub 40 Min Training - ihenman - 28-06-2010

I assume I should just focus on steady runs for now and no "workouts"?

Sub 40 Min Training - TheEd - 28-06-2010

yes and not anything longer than 30 to 40 minutes or 8km max

Cheers

TheEd
ps.. better safe than sorry