Running Information Forums
Sub 40 Min Training - Printable Version

+- Running Information Forums (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Training Zone (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-The-Training-Zone)
+--- Forum: 10K Training Feedback (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-10K-Training-Feedback)
+--- Thread: Sub 40 Min Training (/Thread-Sub-40-Min-Training)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

Sub 40 Min Training - TheEd - 27-07-2010

Do you have any pulse feedback for during the rest, please?

many thanks

TheEd

Sub 40 Min Training - ihenman - 27-07-2010

Lowest HR reached during rest periods b/w reps. This was just before I was about to start the next rep.

Rep 1 - 120 BPM
Rep 2 - 122 BPM
Rep 3 - 124 BPM
Rep 4 - 134 BPM
Rep 5 - 137 BPM
Rep 6 - 133 BPM
Rep 7 - 138 BPM
Rep 8 - 137 BPM
Rep 9 - 137 BPM
Rep 10 - Took 1 minute rest and jogged for cool down

one other question. If we aren't racing at the end of the 3 wk cycle should we go back to week 1 sooner then the schedule suggests? Or run a hard time trial or somehing in there?

Thanks

Ian

Sub 40 Min Training - TheEd - 28-07-2010

It is good to run a time-trial at the end of the 3 week cycle especially when adapting to the cycles because it teaches the body to be ready on the day you want it to be in shape

so yes, for now a 5km or 4km time-trial is handy

Please ask questions if clarity is needed

TheEd

Sub 40 Min Training - ihenman - 01-08-2010

Just tried to go out for a light run, but felt discomfort in my right shin so turned around about 800 M in. I've got to nip this issue in the butt. Going to take a couple of more days off and continue to ice, massage and do calf exercises (Have been doing heel walking, calf raises and tippy toes walking every couple of days).

I'll re-assess maybe on Tuesday/Wednesday and see how I feel. I want to be healthy for my race at the end of the month (aug. 29th) and as much as I want to start another cycle now it's not the smart decision. I've been having some issues since the 5K paced that were bothered even more by the 10X 400M which I did too hard... Guess I'll go ice my shin and relax for a couple more days.

If I can get the splints under control in the coming few days do you think I should start another 3 week cycle on day 1 again?

-Ian

Sub 40 Min Training - TheEd - 02-08-2010

for the future, it would be a good idea to revise the 400m session .. this is probably what has triggered the shins again

and too be honest, too many heel raises etc could actually fatigue the calf muscle area which then has a counter productive effect, catch 22 ..

it's a toughie to get this sorted

TheEd
ps.. keep looking at the shinsplint advice to help in self-treatment

Sub 40 Min Training - ihenman - 10-08-2010

I'm getting back into it after taking 7 days with only a couple of easy runs (one 30 min and another 40 min).

I will continue to monitor my shins as you've mentioned multiple times through out this thread.

I did the 60 min (or there about's my watch died about 10 min into the run) yesterday, have a 30 min easy today and the 2000 session tomorrow morning at the track.

A question on the 30 min days.

Should I be running these at the same pace as my other easy runs (i.e. yesterday's 60 min easy?) or are these more of a recovery run?

I have been doing my easy 60 min and 10 K runs at about 5 min / KM but I'm going to try and slow that down even a bit to 5:05 - 5:10.

So should I be running these 30 min days at say 5:20 easy for recovery?

-Ian

Sub 40 Min Training - TheEd - 10-08-2010

same tempo as the 60 minute would be fine or if you feel like it you can turn it into a 'waddle', your call

good to have you running again

TheEd

Sub 40 Min Training - ihenman - 10-08-2010

Two words I never used before with running but have added to my vocabulary:

"niggles" and "waddle" Smile Love it!

Will post my 2000 feedback tomorrow.

Thanks

-Ian

Sub 40 Min Training - ihenman - 11-08-2010

2000 session results. Still haven' learned to go out easier in the 1st one and then body sense my pace. Unfortunately I droops off pretty bad the last 2.

Rep 1 7:42
Rep 2 7:45
Rep 3 7:54 ( had a 2:30 break b/w 2 & 3 due to running to the bathroom)
Rep 4 8:06
Rep 5 8:09

i will definitely use this experience in the 1000's next week and go out easier for the first one to guage rather then eat up so mug I'm the first couple. A smart race strategy I suppose as well.

Ian

Sub 40 Min Training - TheEd - 11-08-2010

Ian, there is no doubt that there is natural speed in your legs and that you are able run faster however the 2000m session is the one session that will be able to tell you how your 10k races shall be and you are getting there slowly but surely

and believe me you will know the difference once you cope 100% with the 5 x 2k session

still some development to take place, so still a fair amount of results to come in the future

instead of running faster in the 1000's next time out, rather shorten the rest to 45 seconds instead of going faster than the pace needed

looks fine and an experience to build on

TheEd
ps.. how those shins?