Running Information Forums
10k Training - Queries & Feedback - Printable Version

+- Running Information Forums (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Training Zone (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-The-Training-Zone)
+--- Forum: 10K Training Feedback (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-10K-Training-Feedback)
+--- Thread: 10k Training - Queries & Feedback (/Thread-10k-Training-Queries-Feedback)

Pages: 1 2

10k Training - Queries & Feedback - REDShift - 20-03-2020

Hi TheEd,

Again, thank you for your dedication to this website. It has absolutely provided me the necessary guidance and tools to get back into this awesome sport.

I just completed day 3 of my third cycle in the sub40 program. See below for some pertinent information:

33m, 155lbs, 5'10"

90s rest after each 2km set below

KM 1 | KM 2

3:51 | 3:59

3:49 | 3:53

4:01 | 4:05

3:49 | 3:53

3:52 | 3:59

I honestly do not know what happened in the third set - I felt like I was moving the same and the pain was identical. Perhaps my body was holding back OR my watch lost GPS signal... anyways I won't be too hard on myself for this.

I was aiming to run sub40 in a 10km race exactly one month from now - that race has now been cancelled, which is a shame because I feel like my training has been going SO well thanks to your programs.

My goal is to continue with the program and aim to run the same race next year in sub38. Last cycle's 5km time trial I ran 19:33.

Questions:

1. Please confirm that I should not simply continue running the sub40 cycles, but rather take a 3 day break after (this cycle?) and start again with the off-period and build up.

2. Sometimes I truly have to listen to my body and I skip a day (95% of the time it would be an easy day), but I usually just shift the entire schedule by one day. Is this ill advised?

3. Which day would you replace with specific hill sprint workouts?

4. Is sub38 a physical/human possibility within a year's time (assuming I stay healthy and committed) or is that jump too elite?

Again, thank you for your programs. The last 4 months of running have been a real joy for me, in part thanks to you and this site.

RE: 10k Training - Queries & Feedback - TheEd - 24-03-2020

Hi REDShift, and welcome to the forums, apologies for not seeing your post earlier.

OK, in answering

1. Please confirm that I should not simply continue running the sub40 cycles, but rather take a 3 day break after (this cycle?) and start again with the off-period and build up.
A. You can look to do 3 to 4 cycles of the program before going onto the off-period and build-up. If you get results from the sub 40 program and you go sub 40, then still stay on the program and we change paces etc while on the program. Please ask for more clarity here, if needed

2. Sometimes I truly have to listen to my body and I skip a day (95% of the time it would be an easy day), but I usually just shift the entire schedule by one day. Is this ill advised?
A. If you miss a day don't try make up, simply move on with the program. In the answer above, it can be used in this reply. You work to achieve consistency by doing the day you missed in the next cycle, so you try to go through the cycle without missing those days. The program is balanced to create a training rhythm which allows you to control all aspects, by developing to where the runner avoids injuries and getting sick. It is all a balance. How often you eat before training etc .. with each cycle you become more in control of what you doing, and you not responding to what is happening to you unexpectedly .. ask for more detail if need be

3. Which day would you replace with specific hill sprint workouts?
A. Hill sprints are not part of the program in the early stages, due to them being high risk and the programs being provided online. Also please elaborate what you mean by 'hill sprints', the program incorporates rolling hills and everything is progressive in nature to achieve the goals. ie.. to achieve a sub 40 .. the program focuses on that and as the athlete progresses, things change accordingly, we don't try to do all the things, we try to do as little to achieve goals and then build forward from that .. do ask for clarity

4. Is sub38 a physical/human possibility within a year's time (assuming I stay healthy and committed) or is that jump too elite?
A. Anything is possible however it depends on the athlete's individual ability, as to how quickly this occurs. The programs have been used at a high level with athletes running a sub 29 minute for 10k on a similar structure. This was during one on one coaching in a group environment

There we go

many thanks TheEd

RE: 10k Training - Queries & Feedback - REDShift - 26-03-2020

Hi theEd

Thank you for your very thoughtful responses.

1. Given all races are currently suspended, I'll go to the off-training and build up after the completion of this cycle. My body I think could use the break given I've been running very consistently the last four months.

2. I will follow your guidance on sticking to days.

3. Some of the races in my city are very hilly, so I was really just inquiring whether I should be preparing in any way for them. Understood that your program is more generic in nature due to it being in an online medium. I will think about how to perhaps adapt part of the program for me personally. With respect to hill sprints, my old track club used to run about 150 metres up a fairly steep grade, jog slowly back down, and repeat 4/5 times. All on grass.

Thanks again, and I'll chime in with more questions as I go. I completed the 6x1k yesterday with very consistent results at 3:50 per km, except the last km where I pushed a little to 3:45.

RE: 10k Training - Queries & Feedback - TheEd - 26-03-2020

Hi REDshift ... please share your training feedback no matter what you are doing, as it can be inspirational to others during this current and forthcoming period

3. the 2000m session develops speed endurance .. and incredibly this allows for more strength on hills .. in the programs there are hilly related sessions. In our past 'winter' period, I had the athletes doing hill related sessions .. as you develop, we can look to incorporate such sessions into the build-up etc ..

first we get the most of a little and then build on that

onwards TheEd

RE: 10k Training - Queries & Feedback - Vick - 26-06-2020

Is the run on the first day like a recovery run i ran 10km in 60 min at went on a very very slow pace my usual pace is 330km to 346km is tht okay it isnt a recovery run

RE: 10k Training - Queries & Feedback - TheEd - 26-06-2020

Hi Vick, the easy 30 minute recovery run is normally 1 minute per k slower than your current 10k pace .. so if you run 4 0 minutes for 10km then your easy run is at 5 minutes per k. This applies for all easy runs up to 75 minutes or 1hr.

hope this helps TheEd

Can i get a brief explanation in easy run, easy day and easy distance

Ok does that mean my longest run of 1 hour and 30 minute should be 4 minute per k pace?

Hi Vick, no .. a 31 to 32 minute 10k runner would probably run closer to that pace .. if you have a pulse monitor often the average for an easy run is 140 bpm

the three different easy days comes after what session is the day before etc

normally after a quality session the 'easy' is to assist recovery

an 'easy day' is recommended when you feeling fresh and ready to run quicker but make a point of keeping the run relaxed and easy .. an easy day

easy distance is focusing on covering the distance with as little effort as possible .. so if it is a 15k it is about covering the distance .. there isn't a time associated to the distance

as a runner develops the various sessions become more understandable to them and they look to balance their runs according to when they need to be in shape

I hope this helps in some way

TheEd
ps.. we recommend a runner does a 4k time-trial to get an understanding of what shape they currently in, then you can see which program to go onto and set paces according to your 4k time, once you have done the 2k and 1k session you should get towards what pace various runs would be accordingly

Did my 4k time trial just few days ago i got the result of 14 40

Have you seen this article to see what pace you should run the sessions at

https://www.time-to-run.com/training/10k/programtips.htm

Work out the pace per kilometer for the 4K and add the 1Km time to get 5k
Our Example : 14min = 3.30 per K which is 17:30 for 5K
Double the time run [our example = 35min] add 1 minute [our example = 36min]
36min = 3:36 … round off to 3:40 … this becomes your 5x2000m pace per km
5 x 2000 at 3.40 per K with Rest 90 second
6x1000m at 3:30 per k with Rest 60 second
notice you increase the pace by 10 seconds