Running Information Forums
Hi! Excited to improve and be a part of the group! - Printable Version

+- Running Information Forums (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Training Zone (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-The-Training-Zone)
+--- Forum: 10K Training Feedback (https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Forum-10K-Training-Feedback)
+--- Thread: Hi! Excited to improve and be a part of the group! (/Thread-Hi-Excited-to-improve-and-be-a-part-of-the-group)

Hi! Excited to improve and be a part of the group! - KPFortMyers - 02-05-2022

I am a 42 yr newbie to running! 
So... I was a D1 hockey player that had 5 knee surgeries and broken femur. 
I was told NEVER run! It would lead to fusing my knee... So i listened. 
At 30, I started CrossFit and then due to my Type "A" began competing. I did great! Limited running of course! 
I was out of shape and feeling sorry for myself when I hit 40. 
My wife is a runner. She never believed my "no running" statement and guilted me into it. 
I started walking in September 2021. Then I cried tears of joy when I finally ran 1 mile (12:45) in October. 
Dropped 39 pounds, and got healthy! I put in the WORK! I focused on building base and studying form, breathing and not wasting miles! 
I ran my first 5K on Thanksgiving, 26:48. 
I ran my first half marathon in January, 2:13:40. 
I ran my first 10K in February, 55:32.
My next adventure is a Olympic distance triathlon in July. 
I am on day 9 of the sub 50:00m 10K. I have already seen improvements with LT and V02Max. 

My goal is to run the 10K ion July 17 at a sub 50:00. This will be after swimming and biking, so it won't be easy! 
There are no easy days and I welcome suggestions, feedback and encouragement. 

KP

RE: Hi! Excited to improve and be a part of the group! - TheEd - 02-05-2022

Hi KP and welcome to the forums

you have had some journey there, what we would suggest off-hand is to train via the 10k program and note, that the first week from day 3 to day 8 is a priority for the run program and we can easily substitute running for cycling in the 2nd week and then run down to the race via the program in the last 3 days

are you able to provide us with an idea of what triathlon training you doing currently

TheEd

RE: Hi! Excited to improve and be a part of the group! - KPFortMyers - 02-05-2022

(02-05-2022, 02:51 PM)TheEd Wrote: Hi KP and welcome to the forums

you have had some journey there, what we would suggest off-hand is to train via the 10k program and note, that the first week from day 3 to day 8 is a priority for the run program and we can easily substitute running for cycling in the 2nd week and then run down to the race via the program in the last 3 days

are you able to provide us with an idea of what triathlon training you doing currently

TheEd

I have been using the Sub 50:00 10K training program for the running part of my 12 week Olympic Triathlon training plan. 
The plan has been added to my calendar up to 2nd round day 8, or my plan week 5. 

I would love to hear some thoughts on it if there are other triathletes in forum or if anyone used the Sub 50min 10K to prep for same event.  

KP

RE: Hi! Excited to improve and be a part of the group! - TheEd - 03-05-2022

Hi KP, where are you in your training currently

I would recommend caution between day 3 to day 8 of the running side and wouldn't recommend cycling on those days

thereafter you can bring more cycling into matters, recovery and the body absorbing the training is most important

less bulk while adapting is always better

TheEd

RE: Hi! Excited to improve and be a part of the group! - KPFortMyers - 03-05-2022

(03-05-2022, 08:42 AM)TheEd Wrote: Hi KP, where are you in your training currently

I would recommend caution between day 3 to day 8 of the running side and wouldn't recommend cycling on those days

thereafter you can bring more cycling into matters, recovery and the body absorbing the training is most important

less bulk while adapting is always better

TheEd

Good morning! 
Today is day 10 on running plan. 
I have prioritized running in first three weeks of overall base training. 
I am on 2nd day of week 2 of triathlon training.
My daily stretching, warm up and foam rolling is crucial due to my advanced age and broken body! LOL! Listening to my body is
Paramount. 
Would there be benefits to walking 45m vs 30min easy run days for increased recovery? 

KP

RE: Hi! Excited to improve and be a part of the group! - TheEd - 03-05-2022

Hi KP .. on those days where you have 30 minutes easy running, those days can become light spin sessions of up to an hour on the bicycle

as long as your saddle is set correctly and you learn to spin properly (without taxing the quadriceps) then we should be able to balance the program to make it TRI orientated

please read these array of posts about AB, you may find it inspirational

https://www.time-to-run.com/theed/ab/intro-to-the-athlete-ab

TheEd

RE: Hi! Excited to improve and be a part of the group! - KPFortMyers - 03-05-2022

(03-05-2022, 10:25 AM)TheEd Wrote: Hi KP .. on those days where you have 30 minutes easy running, those days can become light spin sessions of up to an hour on the bicycle

as long as your saddle is set correctly and you learn to spin properly (without taxing the quadriceps) then we should be able to balance the program to make it TRI orientated

please read these array of posts about AB, you may find it inspirational

https://www.time-to-run.com/theed/ab/intro-to-the-athlete-ab

TheEd

AB’s story was amazing! 
I would also love to run a 3h:37m marathon in a years time! 
I get scared the same way during the intervals 
since my speed was way faster
than I normally train.
We are our biggest roadblocks! 
I believe in myself! 

Full disclosure; I have ZERO riding experience!
I do not even own a proper bike. 
I have been using a 50+lb MTN bike
for rides. I grew up in the ocean and was a lifeguard/instructor. My form is trash now but, I know how to fix it and get mechanics for a solid time.
The running is something I am obsessed with now and badly want to use as my anchor. 

KP

RE: Hi! Excited to improve and be a part of the group! - TheEd - 10-05-2022

Apologies KP, I should of replied earlier

my first concern is that you may be doing too much

have you any further feedback

TheEd

RE: Hi! Excited to improve and be a part of the group! - KPFortMyers - 16-05-2022

(10-05-2022, 11:17 AM)TheEd Wrote: Apologies KP, I should of replied earlier

my first concern is that you may be doing too much

have you any further feedback

TheEd

I appreciate the follow up! 

I have been sick and on the bench since Sunday May 8! Felt horrible during 5K race pace day (26:10), . I was so disappointed and didn't understand why I couldn't keep pace. My breathing was shallow, turns out I had COVID!! 
I missed the 10K race this past weekend and will start second phase, Day 1 tomorrow. 

Bought a proper bike and I rode 20 miles yesterday and felt ok and not coughing! 
I understand the concern about doing too much.
I have been aggressive but, not reckless. Mobility and listening to my body is paramount! 
My next post will be the stats from my 2nd phase, Day 3 intervals. 
I use a Garmin Fenix 6, do people post their exported file here? 

Thanks, 
KP

RE: Hi! Excited to improve and be a part of the group! - TheEd - 17-05-2022

Hi KP .. less is very much better for you now .. so focus on recovery between sessions and don't push to hard for now

once things settle we shall look to provide you with a program cycle that accommodates your TRI aspirations

be careful TheEd