Running Information Forums

Full Version: endeavoring 10km program
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Hi Stacy .. I would like for you to read the following:

https://www.time-to-run.com/theed/ab/int...athlete-ab

please read right through till the end

I show you this because I think you probably capable of the same achievements

TheEd

Hi TheEd,

thank you for sharing AB's story!
Super interesting, it will surely take some time to process and integrate. Mental game and self belief are undoubtedly paramount, but not always easy to obtain. Was equally happy to read that I'm not alone in some of my struggles,  but also a little disappointed that I'm not that unique in my little quirks haha.

Anyway, the read was very well timed, so today I went out with the intention of sub22 and succeeded. Had some doubts before the start, but set the focus and tried to keep my mind there. There were a few uphills, but overall effort was somewhat even. Run felt controlled, pushed last km, but not completely flat out. Run 4km as a cool down and got a nice runners' high ).

total 21.43
1 4.23 hr154
2 4.26 hr165
3 4.21 hr167
4 4.22 hr170
5 4.11 hr175

Have a great weekend,
Kindly,
Stacy.

Hi TheEd,

just a quick update...
recovering well, went out for 10k, not sure if I got a nice flow or still high from yesterday,  but it was a nice one in the sun!

Sunday easy 10k
pace 5.20 avg hr 138/ max 150

Next week as per usual schedule.  Any recommendations for Tuesday's Fartlek? I find it's much easier when there's a decided pace framework to aim for,  then my mind plays less games.

Appreciate all your time and coaching,
Kindly,
Stacy.

p.s. still feels insane to say "easy" when pace 5.20

Hi TheEd,
hope you're well!

onwards with this week so far:
Monday yoga
Tuesday Fartlek 5minĂ—3 with 1min easy, total 9km  WU and CD on recovery pace around 6.30
1 4.30 hr156
2 4.28 hr158
3 4.25 hr160

Today, Wednesday,  tennis. Thursday recovery run, then Friday rest.

Starting to think about pace for race day on Saturday (like last time a friend of mine will be pacing). Is keeping 4.30 realistic for me now, getting sub45...or am I not there quite yet?
I feel I might be able to maintain that pace for 10k, but I also don't want to overachieve, rather to stay mindful of the reasons I'm doing it and staying on the right track.
Appreciate your guidance and support!

Kindly,
Stacy.

Hi Stacy .. give it a go .. even consider using the strategy in this article

race your best 10k

https://www.time-to-run.com/training/10k...t-10km.htm

don't get too carried away with things but definitely enjoy the experience

TheEd
Thank you. Interesting, how I've read this article a couple of times throughout the program,  and every time I pick up new details and insights. Such a truthful remark - "Each winning performance is an individual triumph".

I guess I'll see on the day's form and feeling.  After all, as you said, it's all about enjoying and having fun.

Wishing you a great week,
Kindly,
Stacy.
Hi Stacy, my wife has a little group which I work with, it is made of two youngsters (twins .. not identical) and then a motley crew of 3 guys aged 43 .. 47 .. 52

last year I was pushing them to experiment and learn more about themselves while doing time-trials

it is often very much a fear of failure that holds people back, I try to encourage learning about oneself .. if you try and don't succeed, try again

if things don't work out, learn from the experience and apply the knowledge learned for better performances

TheEd
ps.. they all ran PB's from 1000m to 5k last year .. I don't push 10k time-trials, though with you, there should be surprising results

pps.. take a squiz at how the wife got into running, she was a badminton player

https://www.time-to-run.com/theed/mrsduc...te-mrsduck
Hi coach,

Just an update - came down with fever last night, so sadly no race tomorrow. Got quite disappointed at first,  since I thought I was doing everything right, but I guess it's time to take a break and rest. Hopefully I'll be able to pick up where I left, stronger  ..

You're so right about learning oneself and tackling own fears of failure. Those along with insecurities are just holding back. But then on the other end is being wreckless and pushing too hard,  which is equally destructive. Keeping the balance is the aim, but also a lifetime learning I find.

So fascinating to read about other's athletes becoming and progress!

Wishing you a splendid weekend,
Take care,
Stacy.

Hi TheEd,

hope you're doing well!

I was just wondering, if continuing with the program for another cycle or two is reasonable atm.

Feeling better, and excited to get out for some speed sessions, yet I'm questioning if I shall be cautious after having a cold and take it a signal to transit into off period and then build up.

If nothing else, considering to start with 2k session tomorrow, maybe at a slower pace and effort.

Cheers,

Stacy.

p.s.got some answers on my questions in your article about balance...

Hi Stacy .. monitor your am pulse .. if it is high then consider not looking towards speed work just yet

it is always a good idea to plan your down period .. maybe consider doing 1 week of the build-up program

give your thoughts on this

TheEd
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7