Running Information Forums

Full Version: SUB 40 10K TT, What next?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
All good Kyuss .. you are not the first and will not be the last athlete to become keen when things are improving

these programs allow for progressive development and are made up of a number 'periods'

we look to have the athletes achieve things on around 3 or 4 cycles (depending on each individual) of the 10k program

then there is the 'off training' period followed by the 'build-up'

and then back on to the 10k cycle

with a little tinkering the program allows you to race 21k effectively and even allows for a step-up to the marathon

most of the athletes on the program have worked full time, so the major plan is to enjoy running while getting some decent results

enjoy and on we go TheEd
Sounds good : )

How about increasing the milage on the program? My last week ended on 55 km, is it any benefit to increase easy runs to get more time on feet?

Best regards
Kyuss

Hello Ed,

This is some of my training lately:
22 May 
Resting Heartrate: 49 bpm
Morning / Long Run / 1H:30M:00 / 17,29 km / 5:12 m/km / 210m Elevation Climb / 155 BPM
Evening / Easy off road bike ride / 1H:05M:57 / 17,55 km / 430m Elev climb / 135 bpm

23 May 
Resting Heartrate: 52 bpm (elevated)
Morning | Road bike Easy | 1H:14M:11 | 33,16 km | 115 bpm
Evening | Easy Run | 34m:51s| 5:23 m/km | 130 m Elevation Climb | 142 bpm

24 May
Resting Heartrate: 49 bpm
Morning | Easy run | 1:06:57 | 12,45 km | 148 m climb | 138 bpm
Evening | Easy recovery run | 34:05 | 5,01 km | 6:48 m/km | 100m climb | 122 bpm

25 May
Resting Heartrate: 47 bpm
4x 1000m | 9,02 km | 51:39 | 5:44 m/km
Due to high humidity, wind, heat and a little too fast running  i was really not able to finish the to reps.
When it's hot outside i really need to slow down, maybe by 5-10 seconds, lesson learned.
I was on Vo2 Max after 200 meters on rep 3.
This session is supposed to be fun like last time.

Warmup | 15:52 | 2,52 km | 129 bpm | 154 bpm max

Splits:
1 | 3:34 m/km | 166 bpm | 173 max
60 sec rest, 156 bpm.

2 | 3:36 m/km | 171 bpm | 180 max
60 sec rest, no hr data since i had to fasten the hr monitor correctly as it came loose.

3 | 3:39 m/km | 167 bpm | 183 max
60 sec rest, 170 bpm.

4 | 3:41 m/km | 177 bpm | 184 max
60 sec rest, 170 bpm.

5 | 4:14 | 0,63 km | 171 bpm | 176 max
Tried to get up to speed on the first 400m but it was hard.

Warmdown | 9:42 | 128 bpm | 144 max.

Do you think i need to cut the 5k on saturday or should i continue as usual?

Looking forward for your thoughts.

Peace
Kyuss

Hi Kyuss .. if the temps are high you need to back off completely as it isn't worth getting 'hurt'

you still had a decent bit of training Smile

on we go

TheEd
Hello Ed,

I dropped the 5k paced just to be sure, i felt a little off and it may have something to do with all my training combined. 
My body just needed some recovery and im starting to feel good.

Today i did the 3 x 5 min with around 3 min easy between, i felt strong (even in the high temperatures). 

Warmup 2,08 km | 5:22 m/km | 131 bpm 

1 | 5:00 min | 3:57 m/km | 1,26 km | 163 bpm | 170 max .
Easy jog, 0,51 km, 2:57 min, 149 bpm.
2 | 5:00 min | 3:55 m/km | 1,28 km | 170 bpm | 177 max.
Easy jog, 0,51 km, 3 min, 156 bpm.
3 | 5:00 min | 3:55 m/km | 1,28 km | 172 bpm | 179 max. 

Warmdown 1,42 km | 5:33 m/km | 150 bpm

Saturday is time for the local race, i'm looking forward to it but it will be hot weather like today (22 celcius in the shadows)..
The race will be held around mid day when the temperature is at is highest.
My target pace would be around 3:55 m/km and hopefully finish the last two km strong, if you have any pacing advice before Saturday i would be glad.
How long before the race should i eat? i usually get the stitch very easy so im thinking 2,2 - 3 hours before but maybe it is to long. 

Best regards
Kyuss
Hi Kyuss .. great to hear things are OK

regarding your eating before an event .. what process do you go through before your 2k or 1k sessions

stick to a similar routine and don't eat meat the night before an event or on the day of an event

hydrate the day before the event as well, so your body is pre-hydrated

learn from the experience and then you should know what works for you and doesn't work for you

TheEd
ps... strangely enough, two of the top 2 athletes I coached ate scrambled eggs the night before their races
Hello Ed,

Saturdays 10k race: 43:39..
Everything felt good until hard headwind in a small hill, i was also pulling the field from the start which was not that clever. 
I started to get fever feeling after a while because of the heat. 
It was around 32-35 Celcius..

Roadrace (Asphalt)
The splits:
3:56 m/km, 174 bpm.
3:57 m/km, 181 bpm. 
3:56 m/km, 187 bpm.
4:01 m/km, 189 bpm.
4:47 Here i could see i was getting slower and could not set a new PB so i took it easy the rest of the race. 
4:22
4:58
4:40
4:22
4:35 

All in all i was not satisfied with the race, basicly came in to the finish line breathing trough my nose. 
Felt a bit disapointed that i could not give it all.

I took a roadbike ride right after the race.
65 km, 2Hours and 9 minutes, 29 kph average. 

My body needed rest yesterday so i took a day off, i dont have any race in sight at the moment. 
I'm dedicated more than ever to develop more running endurance, so i will continue running this week but im not sure if i should start a new cycle yet. 

Best regards 
Kyuss
Hi Kyuss .. it is tough when the weather impacts a runner

hopefully you able to bounce back quickly and that you not coming down with a bug

TheEd
ps.. you mention breathing through your nose. Was the nose blocked? On our side we have had two weeks of a very high pollen count
Hi,

My car was green of pollen outbreak that morning, i felt swollen in the trouth so it could be a factor.
Breathing trough the nose feeling when 'jogging' the last part of the race, basicly it felt easy in that 4:20+ pace since it was slower than half mara pace.
Also i did not feel any lactate build up from the fastest kilometers.

If i build up to 80 - 100k a week, injury free, what time perspective would you guess it would take to build up to a 37 minute 10k?
Hi Kyuss .. te pollen has been having an impact on MrsDuck's (wife) squad over the last 2 weeks, I have even recommended out one young athlete to start using is asthma pump to assist him

regarding going faster, the programs are progressive .. the aim is to achieve as much off as little before adding further elements

the faster sessions you do equate to actual times you can run

once you go off the 10k cycle and then go through a build-up, you maintain easy distance runs of 1 hr, which replace the 30 to 40 minute easy runs

so this progress is natural .. you absorb the speed and the mileage increases in a way which does not impact on you negatively

it is a process and one has to be patient

TheEd
ps.. I recently changed things round with the group because we don't have events this side just yet .. so they have been doing faster running, while still using the framework of the 10k programs .. this takes place from Day 10 on to the end of the cycle

https://www.time-to-run.com/forums/Threa...o-sessions
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8