Running Information Forums

Full Version: SUB 40 10K TT, What next?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Hello Ed,

Want to give you a race report on yesterdays 10km race.
The race was a bit windy and it was very hot, so i understood early that it was not going to be a PB.
My goal was to start far back and easy and to pass people that fell off, which i did and it was motivating me to puch towards the end.

Also i found out that my max pulse is at 201 bpm, which im happy to know for future sessions.

10 km Road Race Report
Time: 41:05
Placing 9th

1 km / 4:00 / 172 bpm
2 km / 4:04 / 181 bpm
3 km / 4:15 / 184 bpm
4 km / 4:12 / 185 bpm
5 km / 4:18 / 188 bpm
6 km / 4:03 / 189 bpm
7 km / 4:17 / 190 bpm
8 km / 4:07 / 192 bpm
9 km / 3:59 / 195 bpm / highest at 198 bpm
10 km / 3:48 / 199 bpm / highest at 201 bpm

Have a good day.
Best regards
Kyuss
Hi Kyuss .. thanks for the report .. hot and windy conditions can be quite dangerous for hard 10k racing .. so well done on accessing the situation

you finished nice and strongly too

good stuff

TheEd
ps.. what plans going forward now
Thanks Smile
It was really hard but just keep running and digging deep for more power gives me the motivation.

The plan is to keep on going with my training, try to get a decent PB in my next 10k race in October (hopefully if the conditions are smooth).

Best regards
Kyuss
Hi Kyuss .. from your feedback .. the improvement and possibilities are all there .. it is just getting a decent race Smile

enjoy TheEd
Hello Ed,

Long time since my last update.
I raced my last 10k for the season this weekend and i just wanted to write a race report.

10 km road race (same course as my previous)

Official Time: 39:05, which is a new pb!

1 km / 3:47 
2 km / 3:50
3 km / 3:54
4 km / 3:58
5 km / 4:03
6 km / 4:00
7 km / 4:03
8 km / 3:58
9 km / 3:47
10 km / 3:36 

Felt strong the morning of this day, my waking heartrate was 44 bpm and most of the night it was around 40-42.
Tempereature was also perfect, around 12 celcius, asphalt was wet from a little rain and almost zero wind. 

The first 3 laps went pretty smoothly but at the end of the 4th i was starting to struggle and ended up alone, which was wierd because last weekend i ran the first 5 km at race pace 3:51 which felt almost moderate. 
I worked all i could to try maintaining the speed, i knew i had slowed down a bit but i just settled to sub 40 and not sub 39 it in my head, focusing one km to the next.

At around the 8k i think i got runners high, at least things was starting to go smooth again, speed was starting to get better, i looked at my watch and i could see 3:50 / 3:45 at the same effort.
I could also see i was getting closer to one of the guys from the sub 39 group, by the start of the 10th km i was right behind him.
About 400 meters in on the last k, i went for it and passed this guy with all power i had left and i ended up taking 5 seconds on him.
My last 400 was at around 2:56 - 3:05 speed.

I had some error with my HR strap not connecting to the watch before the race, so i dont have that data unfortuneatly. 

My legs are still sore from the race so i will have some days off before starting to train again. 

Best regards 
Kyuss
most happy for you Kyuss

thanks for the great feedback

are you planning for an off-period

https://www.time-to-run.com/training/10k/offtime.htm

and then build-up

https://www.time-to-run.com/training/10k/buildup.htm

TheEd
Hello Ed,

Been building up a lot lately, now i have worked my way up to 80km weekly mileage and i'm feeling very good.
Together with the weekly running i also do one XC skiing workout and one hour of strength training with specific running excercises.

I have been curious about lactate testing and i bought myself a Lactate Plus meter.
Maybe you can give me some advise using this meter in the workouts?
Where should i aim with the 2k sessions and 1k sessions using lactate?

Best regards
Kyuss
Hi Kyuss .. consider doing a 4k time-trial to assess current level and from there we can work out the paces for the session

this should make for interesting reading Smile

over to you TheEd
At the moment, i can only run a test on a treadmill since there are ice on all the tracks around my area.
But the weather is changing now and it could be possible to run on a track within a week or so, hopefully.
It would be fun to do a 3:45 m/km 5km run and see how pulse and lactate is at this pace.

Lactate test after 12,6 km easy running on 12 kph treadmill (05:00 m/km pace) with 140bpm and 1,4 mmol.
Ave watt: 232.

8 x 1000m yesterday (60sec break) treadmill:
Lactate test after 4 x 1000m on 15,2 kph, 3,0 mmol (164-174 bpm)
Lactate test after 8 x 1000m on 15,2 kph, got too small blood drop (need more puncture practice).

The feeling is very different now, i don't breathe too much around treshold, my aerob engine is on a different level than before.
I also don't push the speed on the treshold workouts, because i think that it stress the body too much.

My next race will be in end of April, how long before should i start the race specific cycle?

Best regards
Hi Kyuss, from the 4k (on treadmill) you will be able to work out training paces and then with the lactate testing you will see how accurate things are

would you like to try that?

TheEd
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8