Running Information Forums

Full Version: Sub 35, few programme questions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Hi TheEd,

Thanks for checking in. The day after 'race day' my shin was feeling it so to speak....
Feeling along my shin I could tell there was quite a bit of inflammation in the area it felt sore so without being able to and see our local physio I got the rolling pin out and worked my shin myself, which certainly displaced the lumpy regions. So this week I've been cycling a lot, massaging the shin and icing it. I managed to get an easy 10k done yesterday which felt ok, although could still feel the shin a little. Right now I feel great, heart is saying let's go out again tonight, but not sure if that's wise...what do you suggest theEd?

Hi TheEd,

Thanks for checking in. The day after 'race day' my shin was feeling it so to speak....
Feeling along my shin I could tell there was quite a bit of inflammation in the area it felt sore so without being able to and see our local physio I got the rolling pin out and worked my shin myself, which certainly displaced the lumpy regions. So this week I've been cycling a lot, massaging the shin and icing it. I managed to get an easy 10k done yesterday which felt ok, although could still feel the shin a little. Right now I feel great, heart is saying let's go out again tonight, but not sure if that's wise...what do you suggest theEd?
Hi Neil, consider running every 2nd day .. is there any further significant improvement on the shin area?

TheEd
Hi theEd

Much better thanks. After 3 days off running I've ran every second day. Back on week one of the cycle today so can't wait for Wednesday's 5*2! Interestingly my left side seems to be affected the most, have had plantar fasciitis in left heel before and my left shin has been the one mostly affected this past week. My left little toe has long been squashed like a triangle and the big toe joint gets sore often. The wear on my insoles is more concentrated on my left foot too, I feel like I underpronate on the left side slightly, does that happen? Any idea on this theEd?

Neil
Hi Neil, have you ever considered taping to assist you? 'we' are a great believer in using taping to overcome problems and 'hopefully' keeping running moving in the right direction

TheEd
Thanks theEd, I have a few years back, will look into it again, any advice on this or site links you recommend would be welcomed.

Have physio booked in for Friday to look at my shins so will get an idea on if I need to ease back more or carry on ok...They feel fine right now and good last night. I start the cycles on Mondays as opposed to Tuesdays, so I'm curious to see how I fair tomorrow in the 5*2k reps, averaged them at 3.35 last time around.

Neil
HI Neil, do you have any leg discrepancy .. one leg shorter than the other .. often runners get tight and it pulls the one leg more than the other ..

JamieH strapped his PF with great success .. best look to purchase some tape and then we can look into the various aspects one step at a time

shinsplints can be over use related, so via the forums we can rebuild and change sessions to bring you back slower

TheEd
Thanks theEd, shall look into what jamieH has said. Unsure on leg discrepancy, how would I go about finding this out? As a runner do you recommend medical / biomechanical type check ups? Shall discuss with my physio Friday who will also hopefully conclude my shins are ok.

Have just completed 5*2k session, so glad these are only once every 3 weeks! Absolutely delighted tho, huge improvement from 4 weeks ago (last week I was being cautious with the shin so didn't run much), averaged 3.35 last time, tonight 3.29 per set average. Don't know how I pulled that one out tonight, I have to completely put it down to all these easy sessions in your plan, sessions and volume I've stupidly neglected for years! Lots of stretching now and looking forward to rest day tomorrow.

Neil
Hi Neil, that was quite a decent 2k session excellent .. leg discrepancy can occur when muscles tighten up .. often the ITB stretch is good in an attempt to keep legs in working order. a simple test to check legs is to sit down and with your legs in front of you and see if your knees are lined up ..

were you able to find anything on JamieH thread re: taping?

onwards TheEd
Hi TheEd

Saw the physio Friday, all ok, minor shin splints, super tight soleus which isnt surprising, just need to maintain, ice and massage the shins for a while ahead after every run. She said my discrepancy is likely to do with glute imbalance, left butt cheek was exceptionally tight so she's given me a couple of strength sessions I should do each week incorporating the glutes a fair bit whilst still hitting abs, legs etc. I only do 1 strength session a week focussing on my abs, adding another session is doable.

Reading your thread with jamieH was very interesting. My left big toe joint and mobility is becoming more of an issue. Jamie mentioned arch strengthening which I looked a lot into yesterday and also big toe mobility and strength exercises, all things I shall build into my routines, also keeping the dreaded PF at bay which has been fine for a few years now. I also read he'd made a wedge to offset supination which i may ask him more about, I have ordered a couple new pairs of arch supporting insoles.

So, glute strengthening, arch and toe conditioning and keep massaging and icing the shins. As for taping I've seen various ways to tape for posterior shin splints....which has left me not at all confident in what is correct....any advice/widely accepted best way of taping shin splints would be much appreciated.

Neil
Hi Neil, good to read you have more direction towards dealing with things .. I am not so clued up about taping for shinsplints and do believe your eagerness at the start of coming onto the programs could have maybe led to too much too soon .. it is easy to rectify this by backing off and also applying ice and looking at a few exercises in strengthening the areas that may effect your shins. Had you felt tight calves before the shins occurred?

come back slowly, you want lose that much if you cautious

onwards TheEd
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6