Running Information Forums

Full Version: Sub 35, few programme questions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
There are a few decent videos on Youtube regarding taping for shin splints. I was researching this for a friend a few weeks ago.

Darren.
(15-06-2020, 06:17 PM)TheEd Wrote: [ -> ]Hi Neil, good to read you have more direction towards dealing with things .. I am not so clued up about taping for shinsplints and do believe your eagerness at the start of coming onto the programs could have maybe led to too much too soon .. it is easy to rectify this by backing off and also applying ice and looking at a few exercises in strengthening the areas that may effect your shins. Had you felt tight calves before the shins occurred?

come back slowly, you want lose that much if you cautious

onwards TheEd

Thanks TheEd. All agreed, and by backing off the week before last and not running for any longer than an hour last week believe saved me from more severe shin splints.

Bit of a rubbish session last night however, 6x1k reps. Only managed 4 reps, I was shot after the 4th rep. Went out a little fast, ambition ahead of reality and I can put it down to just one of those evenings my body wasnt up for it even though my head really was. Splits were 3.18, 3.20, 3.22 and 3.25 - so an average of 3.21 per k rep, faster than 4 weeks back where I averaged 3.25...but of course I only completed 4 of the 6 reps, really disappointing. Afterwards I was thinking how was I worse than 4 weeks ago? My splits for the first 4 reps previously 4 weeks ago  were 3.22, 3.18, 3.24, 3.24 so practically the same as last night....just the final 2 reps I was much slower relatively. What do you advise after disappointing sessions where you've not seen any improvement?

Thanks, Neil

(16-06-2020, 08:23 AM)shadydaz Wrote: [ -> ]There are a few decent videos on Youtube regarding taping for shin splints. I was researching this for a friend a few weeks ago.

Darren.

Thanks ShadyDaz, ive seen a few which showed different techniques leaving me feel unsure, i'll do more research and watch more videos and go with the most common methods.
Hi neil, I have very strong thoughts on having bad sessions .. put them down to a bad day and move forward .. focus on what can be done and leave the rest in the past

onwards and forwards .. moving in the right direction is all that counts .. enjoying what you are doing and keeping the fun as well as confidence

TheEd
Thanks TheEd

I thought that would be the best course of action, yet it's always reassuring to hear it from someone in the know - so i'll bin that disappointment and crack on, looking forward to an hours running tonight soaking up the sunset once I've battled my 3 little ones down to bed.

Looking forward to the paced 5k run in a couple of days, hoping to get near 17:30. Unofficially I ran a 35.37 10k this time last year, my pb for 5k is 17.28 so it probably should be a bit quicker. Ran 17:50 4 weeks ago and felt calm and steady throughout in bad conditions so hoping to be quicker this time around and still feeling in control, will give it a good go!
Hi Neil, if it doesn't work out, so what .. at least you had a crack and you are challenging yourself, despite the world scenario

enjoy TheEd
Hi TheEd

So very pleased to report I hit 17.21 in my 5k tonight, certainly felt in control and strong meaning I hit the last k in 3.19....certainly a good bit more in the tank as well. Paced it well, 3.29,3.30,3.33,3.30,3.19. so that's a PB, over the moon, the training is working, that crappy session the other day, distant memory!

So...I'm putting in 5 out of 5 effort in the 5k run, I am racing it pretty much....which isnt the purpose for this session...I've just had a big thing about hitting the session of 'aim for sub 17:30 no faster than 16:40'...moving forwards what time do you suggest I complete the 5k session in? Is it supposed to be more of a tempo session?

Thanks,
Neil
Wow Neil .. congrats .. now that you have the 5k PB .. we can look to either start a new cycle of have an easy week with more easy runs to realign things. This does happen on the program that a PB comes on the paced run day .. over time we try to correct things primarily that we have the decent run on race day but a PB is a PB .. so for now we take that and move forward

what would you like to do?

TheEd
Thanks TheEd, still can't believe it, certainly believing now that building my aerobic base is making the difference.

So perhaps going with an easier week sounds best, certainly the thought of going hard again for 8k next week feels too soon. Moving forwards on the program i could stick to 17:30 for the paced 5k's and as the cycles go by that should become more comfortable so I can always save the all out decent run for race days, or is 17:30 still pushing it to much for the paced 5k?

I've got an hour run today and 30mins tomorrow for Sunday. If we go easier next week please advise the sessions to follow.

Really appreciated,
Neil
Hi Neil, an easy week it is .. don't look to test yourself too soon over 5k .. look at varying distance from 3k . 4k . 6k . 8k .. that way you can keep variety while building in other areas.

to take an easy week .. you can consider doing 1hr runs every 2nd day and focus on recovery on off days while doing some sit-ups .. press ups etc

Ask questions if necessary

onwards TheEd
Hi TheEd

So do you mean that in the next cycle I should not run a paced 5k but sub it in for 3,4, 6 or 8k?

For the rest of this week I'll do as advised, hour runs every other day and strength training on off days. I did however complete the first session of week 3 in the cycle today, 10*400's. Good session, is great to run fast! Comparing my splits from last time I've trimmed a few seconds off each rep on average so very pleased. Thought I'd share the splits below with you, tonight's on the left, previous to the right.

75 // 78
77 // 76
72 // 74
75 // 78
75 // 77
75 // 77
72 // 76
78 // 79
75 // 78
74 // 73

I'll rest/strength train tomorrow, then 1hr run Wednesday.

Thanks TheEd
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6