Running Information Forums

Full Version: Sub 35
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Jamie have you been doing much cycling after the fell race?

this may be caused by the fell running I am afraid to say

your biomechanics could have been affected and you may be out of sync

hopefully this can be corrected, leaving it alone may take longer to recover

please keep me informed

TheEd
Not a great deal of cycling since the fells. I did about 20k easy ride on Saturday + have been spinning to work (25mins each way) this week.

I think you are right about the fell running. I did about 3.5 hours in total last week of serious mountain running and it's very different biomechanically, as you say (my quads were ruined).

Oh well... we live and learn. Will go for a very easy swim tonight then ice it all evening & maybe rub some ibuprofen gel in. Fingers crossed.
you may need to be manipulated or even consider acupuncture

hope it clears up

TheEd
Saw chiropractor today. Glutes/adductors/hammys incredibly tight + a lot of inflammation around the coccyx which appears to have been pulled a little to one side.

He worked a lot on loosening everything, as well as manipulating the coccyx. It's feeling better, icing/resting and we'll see how it feels in the morning.

If it feels good I'll try a jog before I see him again in the afternoon.

Fingers crossed, but if I can't race so be it. It's been a great season!
Didn't get to race the London Tri unfortunately. Although things were improving by Sunday, it was still pretty sore and I'd rather think long-term at this stage.

It's still improving today, but I'm going to take the hint, call it a season and take this week as my rest period Smile Provided everything is back in alignment I'll kick off with a build up next weekend.
good stuff Jamie .. all in all it has been a decent season and hopefully a great deal learnt from everything

hope you recover well

TheEd
Hey there, hope all is well with you. Quick update. I'm thoroughly enjoying my off-period - eating plenty of chocolate and pizza Smile Coccyx is vastly improved and I'm gradually working back into the running (up to 40-50 minutes on the off-season programme). I'm going to stick closely to this and do a full 3 week build up before doing a 4k TT for you.

FYI here's some basic analysis from my training log over the past year. I started taking running more seriously in Sept 2011, and then found your 10k programme at the beginning of December.

Sept 2011 - Feb 2012
Avg hours/wk: 3hrs 23mins
Avg km/wk: 49.57km
Avg 2k R90: 6:49
Avg 1k R60: 3:13

Planned rest 15th-18th Feb.

Feb 2012 - Sep 2012
Avg hours/wk: 4hrs 12mins
Avg km/wk: 58.38km
Avg 2k R90: 6:49
Avg 1k R60: 3:12
magic Jamie .. I do believe you must have a decent engine on-board and that you probably an athlete who should venture towards sub 1:50 for the Olympic distance as well as becoming a sub 33.30 10k runner sooner than later

iron out some of the 'stupid' mistakes and work on balance and planned recovery and you should move towards the marks mentioned above

and then maybe onto other things Wink

Cheers

Gavin
Smile itching to get back into it after that little pep talk!

Thanks as always.

J
Hey there!

Quick update:

I've been progressing nicely through the build up, increasing mileage (70k last week) & dropping weight (down from 81+ to 78). Did my second lot of 5x8mins this afternoon (a deceptively tough session! But I guess prepares you nicely for the 5x2k). I averaged 3:32/km across the 5 reps today (3:45 last week, so decent progress).

I was planning to do the 4kTT on Saturday after rest day tomorrow but unfortunately my right adductors are completely broken after the last couple of days. Saw my physio yesterday, he thinks potentially a knock-on effect from the coccyx issue (coccyx ligament weakness caused hamstrings to tighten and protect, so adductors over-worked to compensate for tight hamstrings).

Will see how they feel after rest/massage tomorrow but not sure. Any tips re: adductors?! Never had problem with them before.

Cheers,
Jamie