Running Information Forums

Full Version: Sub 35
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey there,

I know we said aerobic week.. but a friend was heading to the track this evening for what sounded like a fun session so I tagged along!

(3x1k R75)x3 with 3mins jog between sets

3:17, 3:13, 3:15
3:13, 3:14, 3:12
3:13, 3:11, 2:58

HR 145-165

Figured it can't be bad to mix things up a bit and it sounded like a session you would approve of (+ easier than our 2k/1k sessions). Nice to finish with a sub 3, had some kick on the last 200.

Legs good and everything else this week has been relaxed 60mins. Will do a genuinely steady parkrun on Sat and aim at ~30k easy Sunday.
and how are the legs going now and have you a plan of what comes next?

TheEd
Legs good. Lungs average as I had a bit of a cold earlier this week although feeling better today, just coughing up the last of it!

Controlled Parkrun last Saturday (16:39) and then 2hr run (29k) on the Sunday which also felt good. This week has been mostly easy running but revved the engine a little yesterday with a local favourite 2.8k loop at 3:10-3:11 pace (last 1k in 3:02).

I was planning another steady ParkRun tomorrow (maybe pushing last 1k) + 21k on Sun. I then have a 5.6k race on Weds evening (a work thing but very competitive field so should be fun) and then the aquathlon (21k run) on 21st.

Thinking maybe I should just keep things ticking and build up the aerobic base between now and the Aquathlon. And then start a new cycle after that building towards 5k/10k pb's into the Marathon at the end of Oct?
let's chat after the Wednesday event

Big Grin

enjoy

TheEd
A tough week. I think the lurgy may have taken quite a bit out of me when coupled with dodgy sleep and the heat all week (29-30 degrees, eugh!).

Race last night was tough. Went out at 3:20 hoping it would feel steady but ultimately had to drop to 3:23, which I was able to hold for the 5.6k (though not at all comfortable and no sprint finish!). 24 degrees. 79-80kg.

Probably the best thing I can do between now and 21st July (aquathlon, 21k trail run) is keep things ticking, bang the swimming (going well!) relax a bit and lose a few pounds, then look to kick off a run cycle the week after? Any thoughts on next 2 weeks run training?
Hi Jamie, you need to try freshen up, in a way it would be pointless to try bang out a hard run session because you feel you must, instead of it having a purpose

if you go through you last month or two, you will see you have done a lot of fast running on feel but no true development sessions, so the end result is a slight run burn out

if you are to do a session such as 5 x 2k .. I would recommend that you run 5 seconds slower than normal and try to do the full session even if it is slower, and hopefully you lay a little foundation there

then we see when we can drop a better 1k session

hope you at least feeling a little better

TheEd
Thx for the wise words, Ed. Sounds like the right approach. I've only done easy/steady running (60 mins each time) since the race and feeling much better today. Will aim at 2k's tomorrow (no faster than 6:50) and start building from there.
so how did the 2k session go

TheEd
It didn't!

I was feeling 'ok' on the day (poor sleep with the heat/babies and still slight sore throat) but the track was closed so in the end I opted for a fairly 'feel good' session around Battersea Park.

4x2.8k at off 90s rest. Pacing was pretty much bang on 3:30/km for all 4 with HR 140-150 so a decent enough session.

This weekend I did a swim-run specific session ready for next weekend with 2k swim (24:30 feeling smooth) then 15k offroad at 'trail' 21k pace (3:40) feeling really quite good despite heat. Nice easy 25k on Sunday rounding out a 110k week.

Super easy 30mins yesterday (115 HR) and some fartlek today (nothing over 3:30 pace) feeling good. Figured I would now just round out a race week of training with easy tomorrow, light tempo Thurs, 6x1min Fri, rest Sat then race Sunday.

After that I'm in Sweden for 4 weeks with childcare help from family (yay sleep!) and plenty of time to focus on training. Will check in with you after the race and we can plot the course from there to the Marathon!
Hi Jamie, enjoy Sweden Big Grin

it has been warm of late in the Norf Smile

on we go TheEd