Running Information Forums

Full Version: Sub 35
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
you off to your training camp now

so do take care and look after yourself after the sessions

TheEd
Hey there,

Quick update!

Lots of big miles on the bike in Morzine. Possibly over-did it a little bit as was feeling very tired all of last week. Just about starting to pep-up again this weekend.

Managed a 16:40 5k park-run on Saturday with a pretty measured effort (slightly fast 1st kilometer at 3:14, but then pretty steady 3:19-20's).

Was planning on 3x1600 today but may save until tomorrow as a little fatigued. Work is also pretty full on. Looking forward to resting up and doing some easy sessions Weds-Sat in CA before race day!

J
no harm in putting it till tomorrow

and then make sure to ease off and stick to the routine you use before all events

have a good one

TheEd
Was feeling a little fatigued but went ahead with the 3x1.6k this evening on the treadmill. And... ended up with a great sesh!

3x1.6k off 3mins (0.5% incline treadmill, building pace from 18.4k/h to 20k/h through reps)

5:16 (HR Avg:146 | Max:154)
@3m: 65
5:08 (HR Avg:149 | Max:161)
@3m: 77
5:04 (HR Avg:152 | Max:164)
@3m: 80
look after yourself now .. the prep has been done

TheEd
Alas... not the worlds I had hoped for Sad

Tyre blow out 50km into the bike course. Unfortunately it was irreparable (3inch gash) so I had to wait for the mechanic which took 35 mins... the race was long gone.

Good news is I was actually in the lead until that point Smile 76.5kg on the line. Had a great swim, coming out of the water in about 10th place, after taking an elbow to the face at 1.5k and half-drowning (not unusual!).

Lots of early pushing on the bike (HR 155-160) and I managed to catch the lead group of 5 athletes at 15k. We worked 'together' for about 30k's (me at about 145-150 HR) & I started to pull away at about 50k's after a steep hill section. Just at that moment... pop!

Finally the mechanic gave me a new wheel & I eased back into the bike, enjoying the atmosphere. At about 70k I decided to pick up the pace again so I could at least get a work out and see 'what might have been' if I'd stayed with the group.

Onto the run and I felt fantastic. Managed a 1hr 21 half marathon over an incredibly hilly course (properly steep hills, no flat sections).

I won't say where I think I might have finished (who can say, really). But looking at the leading times, I reckon I had a bloody good shot!

So. Onwards. I'm in shape. And have 3 weeks till I go on vacation. Thinking long and hard about Lanza 70.3 on the 20th to use this fitness, if I can find cheap flights etc...

Any plans that weekend?! Wink

J
I actually followed your race on the ironman tracker Wink

good to be chatting on FB about what next

TheEd
Ok! The running focussed season begins Smile

Had a great final middle-distance triathlon of the year with a win and a local course record which was really nice after the disappointment in Canada. I'm confident in my ability to go fast over the 70.3 distance next year, so now I want to focus 100% on running for the winter.

Just had a great rest week off in Portugal where I ran 60mins every morning SUPER easy (like 5-6mins per kilometer) and everything is feeling good (even managed to eat well so i'm cruising at 78kg's).

Yesterday I did a tempo 15k over hills and managed <55mins (3:40/km) feeling really great.

Kicking off with the 2k's this Thursday.

Targets for the next 6 months...

<16 5k
<33 10k
<1:15 Half Marathon
<2:40 Marathon

First up is the Vegas half marathon on Nov. 16th (with a few park run 5k's before, and maybe a 10k end of this month).

Onwards!
congrats Jamie .. about your current training

I would seriously recommend doing the Build Up for a minimum of 2 weeks

http://www.time-to-run.com/training/10k/buildup.htm

you will be amazed by the benefits you will get from this

2 weeks

TheEd
OK, you're right. Will start with 2 weeks build up. Since I did easy 60 mins for last 5 days, I will do another 2x easy 60mins tomorrow/Weds then the 5x8mins on Thurs and continue with the rest of the 2 week build up phase from there.

Thanks!
Jamie