Running Information Forums

Full Version: Sub 35
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I like that! Makes a lot of sense - I will give it a try. Better serves my 'heart condition', also.
How things with you Jamie
Good to hear from you, Ed - thx for checking in.

All well here. Wrestling with motivation (like most) with no races but the group are arranging various TTs and pair sessions within restrictions. I've been doing strength work (wobble cushion) to keep on top of the foot situation, which has been great and my running is feeling good. Did a road 5k TT on Saturday which went ok although horribly paced (16:43 as 3:10, 3:18, 3:25, 3:27, 3:20).

Target remains a fast 5k TT over the winter....
Hi Jamie, great to hear from you .. were you able to build up the distance runs by breaking it into segments .. you should really look back to then and where you are now. There is definite improvement

currently set goals that are achievable and enjoy the success of that

onwards and forwards

TheEd
Yes I have indeed been breaking up the easy distance runs and increasing the over-all 'moving pace'. Rather than the 4:45-5:00/km I was doing, I'm now doing them closer to 4:15-4:30/km but simply walking for a couple of minutes if heart rate gets too high. I think it's a good strategy for me.

There is another 5k TT (on a better course without a dead turn) this Saturday so provided I'm still feeling good, plan to do that. I did 3x1k off full rest (10min jog) today in 3:12, 3:07, 3:03 feeling quite good so there is definitely some kind of pace in the tank!
HI Jamie, did you do another 5k time-trial

you must try focus on the short rest as it seems you can run quickly naturally and the speed endurance is needed

on we go TheEd
Hey Ed - Happy New Year - wishing you and the family a great 2021!

Eugh, short rest! Yes the fact I dislike it so much probably suggests I need more of it Smile

I did another 5k road time trial on boxing day, 16:19 so edging back in the right direction. 3:14, 3:14, 3:14, 3:23 (hill!), 3:14.

Did a good speed session with the group last weekend (600/1200 reps of short rest) and now with the new lock-down I'm back to my own devices for probably a good couple of months so plan to kick of a standard cycle with the 2k's this Thurs. Legs/Feet all niggle-free and back averaging ~70k/wk for the last couple of months.

Will keep you posted.
HI Jamie .. you can try a variation to the 5 x 2k on occasion .. starting with 2000m R90 1600m R90 1200m R90 x 2 then R60 and finish off with a controlled 400m

the pace would be at 10k pace for all the distances

this is to complete a 10k pace session .. it is not the same value as 5 x 2k but it keeps you in a similar ballpark

TheEd
Thanks Ed - will definitely try that session, sounds great.

In the end we organized a (covid compliant) pairs session of 6x1k hill (30m+ up including a very steep 300m section) off 90s as part of a cycle leading into a 5 mile TT on Jan 31st. The 1k's session went very well (3:19, 21, 23, 23, 24, 23) and I was on par with a guy who ran 32:50 10k last week.

I may target your 2x(2/1.6/1.2)+400 session next week (Tues) as it seems like it would work ok for 5 mile pace, also. I can then do a paced 5k end of next week, then 400's the following week ahead of the TT if that sounds reasonable?
Hi Jamie .. just one reminder .. you get into shape rather quickly, be careful with too much hard running

consider doing 3 x 5 minutes fartlek at race pace with 2 to 3 minutes easy or 3 x 1500m at race pace with 2 to 3 minutes Rest, instead of the 400m session

focus on being as relaxed as possible at don't set the pace too quick Smile

TheEd