Running Information Forums

Full Version: Sub 35
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Easy 6k today with 4x400 (relaxed, 88-90s, HR 135-140). Everything in order and legs feeling loose. HR resting at <40 and weight steady at 78kg (hydrated) so we're ready to go. Easy 5k tomorrow then 2 rest days and a short jog on Saturday ready for Sun.
nice Jamie .. no further words from me

enjoy

TheEd
2:44:23

Scraped the London Marathon qualification by the skin of my teeth Wink Tough day out with 20kph+ winds on a fairly exposed course and nobody to draft all day.

First 3k ended up being around 3:35 pace (tail wind) with the HR <140. Then settled into steady ~145 feeling good and easy at ~3:50 pace. At 21k HR was starting to sneak over 150 for me to hold 3:50 so I decided to ease off and get back towards 145 before the last 10k - that meant dropping to 3:55-4:00. At 32k I tried to push on but legs were like wood so there was really nothing more to do but hold 4:00 pace despite feeling 'aerobically' great. At 40k there was a steep down/up underpass after which my hamstrings both totally seized up. I very nearly stopped but luckily managed to find a speed (~4:20) where I could hobble to the finish.

Now... a few months to focus on 5k/10k before the build towards London in April. Chatting to other guys on the finish line I think getting the mileage over my current 60k/week could make quite some difference!?
Not bad going Jamie

what is your PB?

if you get your long run up to 30 to 32km every 3rd week while doing the 5 / 10k program, will put you in a good position to have a good crack at London

congrats, well done on toughing it out

TheEd
PB is 2:44:03 in London. On the same course as Sunday (in 2013 after the Triathlon Worlds) I did 2:46:41. Those are the only 3 marathons I've done and in all cases I only did one long run of 30k in the build up and never more than 50-60k/week average.

Longer run every 3rd week sounds like a plan. Would that slot in on the weekend between 2k's and 1k's?
Jamie, that long run would come on Day 5 of the program, and it would depend on what else you doing

finding the correct balance is important

I am a strong believer that you get athletes who are made for the marathon and in some way cope with it, to me you seem to semi fall into this bracket, so I believe a sub 2:40 marathon should be in your grasp

on we go

TheEd
Yes I think it's fair to say I wasn't born for the marathon... but I sure do enjoy it!

Will keep you posted once I kick off with the next cycle. 10k on Boxing day will be the next goal. Hamstrings still super tight today so taking it easy this week.
actually, I thought you do quite well at the marathon, particularly considering you were a little 'under-cooked'

so no, I think you can improve immensely but maybe it is more of a fun venture than looking to go sub 2:30 type running?

Cheers TheEd
How about we try to get 2:35 at London... then I can decide if it stays as a fun venture, or think towards 2:30?

Ironman is probably where my best performance lies in the future, but not quite ready for the time I need to put in on the bike just yet Wink

Plan?
how things going now Jamie?

wanted to see how you have recovered?

I think you cope well with the marathon, you just need to get those long runs as an easy 'staple' for you

TheEd