Running Information Forums

Full Version: To race is but a dream...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
TheEd Wrote:OK .. when it comes to Rob's stride pattern, he is more of a heel striker but instead of messing around with either of your running styles

we could look to bring a hillwork session in on Day 12 (normally a paced run)

would you be interested in this?

TheEd

Sounds good. I have either a route with a good 5km of climbing that can do at paced efforts or a selection of single even gradient hills to pick from for sprints. Will be good to mix it up. Just let me know the framework for the session

Thanks,

Darren
05/12/17
6.18km
33:44
5:27/km
Ave HR 139
Max HR 153

6/12/17
Fartlek session on TM no inc.
2km @ 6:00/km
4x2mins @ 4:26/km R60 @
6:00/km
Then 6:00/km cool off to total of 30 mins

8/12/17
Ret day :yes:

09/12/17

68.2kg
15.2% body fat
Resting HR 44bpm

Warm up 1.5km @5:50/km
Warm down 1.3 km @ 5:50/km

I charged the Garmin on Thursday ready for today but something went wrong and battery was flat this morning so I only have the Fitbit data which is nowhere near as accurate so have had to use beat judgement on the splits (Fitbit splits added up to 17seconds longer than total run time :nowaySmile

5km paced:

1. 4:15
2. 4:15
3. 4:21
4. 4:20
5. 4:08

Ave pace 4:16/km
Ave HR 147
Max HR 164
Total time 21:19

Happy with that and have no idea where it came from. Was a cold day with a little Icey breeze, perfect conditions for me to keep my HR low and push on. Legs feel excellent. No tiredness or stiffness etc. Will keep them loose best I can.

This sets me up nicely to work a little harder on the next cycle. Have been struggling to keep my HR in the 130-140 range on some of the short TM easy runs so will allow my easy pace to move to no quicker than 5:20/km now and see if the HR picks up a bit.

Not sure when to start the next cycle because of the festive season or just crack on and muddle through over Christmas as days 3-8 will be done well before then if I start soon. If I start weds 13 it should fall Nicely haha
HI Daz, the idea would be to find a hill with a low gradient and it can be 80 to 100m in length

the focus would be on form, in your case it would be to develop a driving action from your arms, focusing on pulling the elbows back

however, you would not be running fast, but more an exaggerated slow motion run - are you able to visualise what is needed here

in Rob's case - he would run normally but focus more on landing on his mid-foot .. the pace would be as slow as yours

you can do this x 10 to start and we can see how it goes

warm-up and warm down

let me know how it goes

TheEd
TheEd Wrote:HI Daz, the idea would be to find a hill with a low gradient and it can be 80 to 100m in length

the focus would be on form, in your case it would be to develop a driving action from your arms, focusing on pulling the elbows back

however, you would not be running fast, but more an exaggerated slow motion run - are you able to visualise what is needed here

in Rob's case - he would run normally but focus more on landing on his mid-foot .. the pace would be as slow as yours

you can do this x 10 to start and we can see how it goes

warm-up and warm down

let me know how it goes

TheEd

I have two options. The 150m with 6m elation climb seems to be the winner. It is the path that leads down to the 1km loop I use for intervals. So if I understand correctly, almost like an uphill stride session but without the extended stride length?
correct .. the session can be quite tiring as you will be out of your comfort zone

this is a starter, and we can see how we progress from here

your choice of hill is fine, but note, you should not be getting tired from the gradient but from your running action

TheEd
Will take this aboard for day 12 of the new cycle, which starts today!

Have been ticking over and started some strength training too last few days:

10/12/17 TM
5.32km
30:00
5:38/km
Ave HR 132
Max HR 151

11/12/17 TM
5.19km
30:03
5:47/km
Ave HR 128
Max HR 150

Strength training 25 mins. Core and Arms

12/12/17 TM
5.02km
45:00
5:36/km
Ave HR 132
Max HR 145

Strength Training: core, arms and shoulders

I have an issue (been ongoing for a few months) with my left shoulder. I do not have a full range of movement and there is a sharp pain in certain positions and when under load. I am currently unable to do any standard press ups but have started with knee press ups as the load is lighter and these are comfortable. Hopefully as I build up a bit of strength the problem will start to resolve itself. If not - physio again and probably a cortisone injection as that is what I had to have in my right shoulder several years ago (same issue now on left) caused by playing rugby!

Cycle starts tonight, the snow and ice has nearly cleared so will be good to get off the treadmill and back outside :p
arms can be very helpful in latter stages of an event, so it should all benefit you as you develop

may the outside conditions be fine Smile

onwards

TheEd
13/12/17 cycle day 1
11.78km
1:06:49
5:40/km
Ave HR 132
Max HR 153

Did manage to get outside and run last night. Still struggling to keep the HR up, even on this hilly route. Didn't want to run the hills any harder as my left hamstring is niggling slightly.
hills do work the hamstrings and downhill the quadriceps / thighs

recover well, and consider your hamstring state before coming form session

onwards

TheEd
ps.. thanks for donation
14/12/17
5.18km
30:01
5:37/km
AVE HR 138
MAX HR 153
Strength training 20 mins
Not sure what was going on with this treadmill run. Couldn't get my HR to settle.

15/12/17
5x2km session on 1km park loop.
https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/2381249177

Session totals
16.53km
1:32:32
5:36/km
Ave HR 142
MAX HR 173

Warm up 3.31km
1: 8:58.5 @ 4:29/km. MAX HR 156
R120 LOW HR 134
2: 8:59 @ 4:29/km. MAX HR 146
R120 LOW HR 135
3: 9:01.2 @ 4:31km. MAX HR 165
R120 LOW HR 125
4: 8:59.5 @ 4:30km. MAX HR 163
R120 LOW HR 137
5: 8:43.4 @ 4:22km. MAX HR 173
R120 LOW HR
Warm down 2.68km

Very happy with the session. Good consistency, was not looking to push the pace too hard, targeting 4:30/km, as it is only second cycle back. Breathing was comfortable throughout and felt in control throughout. The toughest part was the third interval when legs started getting heavy, just struggled a little to maintain pace but was only marginal as you can see from the stats. Hamstring niggle was clear day before so now issues there. Weather was cold with only a bit of a stiff headwind up the final 400m stretch on each km, meaning that stretch required a bit of extra effort to hold speed. Was also trying to maintain consistent form through the session too. Found a bit at the end too and last set was strong finishing pace was 4:10/km. Not enough in there for sub 4 pace finish though haha!