Running Information Forums

Full Version: To race is but a dream...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
how are things going now?

hopefully some normality is returning

TheEd
Hi TheEd,

Thank you for asking. I have had a bit of a mixed bag since my last post.

29-06-15
Easy Run
Time: 37:44
Pace: 5.37 min/km
Dist: 6.72 km

01-07-15
Easy Run
Time: 56:11
Pace: 5.11 min/km
Dist: 10.83 km

02-07-15
Easy Run
Time: 36:58
Pace: 4:51 min/km
Dist: 7.63 km

03-07-15
2km intervals
Basically, disaster :noway:

1km warm up @ 05:40 pace
2km 08:24 4:12 min/km
99s rest
2km 08:14 4:07 min/km
93s rest
0.41km 01:39 4:01 min/km
Had to stop because of the heat. Tried to rest and finish session three times but nothing. Threatened to pass out the last time so slow jog home rather dejected. Moral of the story, see the easy run the day before, far too quick. Definately a contributing factor to the failiure of this session as well as the heat. I was trying to run this earlier than usual as had plans later in evening otherwise would have gone at this at about 8pm rather than 5pm on a very hot day.

05-07-15
Race Day
Dist: 21 km
Time: 94:49
Pace: 4:27 min/km

First 10km in 45:30 (slowest 10km section)
Last 10km in 43:36 (Fastest 10km section)
Last 5km in 21:32 (Fastest 5km section)
slowest 1km: KM 8 and 9 @ 04:36 min/km
fastest 1km: KM 21 @ 04:13 min/km

What a difference a couple of days makes. This race replaced the 90min run on cycle. What I do not unerstand is this. How can I sustain this pace over such a distance and not be able to run marginally faster than this over intervals a couple of days before :confused: Havin just analised the splits, I am incredibly pleased with that last 5km in 21:32. I did save myself a little between km 7 -10 as knew there was a long way to go so kept those at 04:35/04:36.

Is this info any good to you TheEd? Can you use it to help me improve in any way? I seem to be struggling with the paced sessions but we know I have a bit of pace in there from the 20:12 5km a few weeks ago. Surely if I can run this far this quick then 4:10 2km ints aren't too big an ask?
Anyway, I have a loosener tonight and tomorrow and then the 1km session Wednesday. I want to be stubborn and go for 4min/km but if you advise different I will take the advice accordingly.

Darren.
congrats on the 21k .. PB I guess?

the 2k session is a very tough session mentally and it is the session that will develop you the most

in the 2k session you mention the heat, this has a major 'negative' impact on performance

never focus on the poor runs, focus on the ones that give you confidence

in the next 2k session, start slower and finish stronger, looking to do all 5, even if you run far slower in the first 2 build up and gain confidence

you don't lose pace as quickly as you think

how come you going to the 1k session?

over to you

TheEd
Hi TheEd,

It was my first Half and only my fourth race (not including the 5km parkruns) so of course a PB!! I have ran 21km only twice in training before this race.

Following the cycle now building up to the 10km race on 19th June, the next speed session on Wednesday (day 8) should be the 6 x 1km? Am I better doing the 2km session again instead?

In case there is some confusion, I have not moved onto the sub 40 cycle yet, although wanted to integrate some of the sub 40 elements into the sub 45 cycle. Any suggestions are welcome! If you think I am pushing too hard, please say.

Also, I have ordered a Garmin 225. It has a built in HR monitor so will be able to provide HR info soon too!!

Sorted the arch blistering issue, was a lacing problem. Toe socks are on order too to prevent toe blisters. I had no problems yesterday with blisters and old ones are nearly healed.

Darren.
will look to move this thread to the 10k training forums

you have come a long way shady .. just need to be a little patient and not rush the process

I take it you race on July 19

if you missed the 2k session on day 3 then continue with Day 8 as the 1k session

remember for the future, these programs are more suitable when Day3 starts on a Thursday

on we go

keep providing feedback

TheEd
Thank you for the feedback. I was wondering whether or not to start a new thread or ask for this to be moved! It makes sense to keep all historical data in same thread I suppose. Could I rename it though? :laugh:

I have been counting back from race day to suit. The core elements of the programme fall on suitable days then for me also. Generally race on a Sunday here, Day 1 should be a Wednesday from what I can make out? It all falls into place with my weekly schedule nicely bar a minor tweak here or there.

06-07-15
Tempo Run
Time: 30:27
Pace: 4.27 min/km
Dist: 7km

Darren.
The title is actually quite apt, considering where you have come to now Smile

though, if you want to change it, let me know what you would like to call it and I will work on it

do note, you can do Week 1 & 2 according to the program on the days, starting Day 3 on a Thursday

and then in week 3 you can change things

so if racing on Sunday, you do the 6 x 1 min f / s on Friday

you do the session on Tuesday and then add an extra 20 to 30 minute run to run you down to the event

please let me know if you understand the above

cheers

TheEd
Good Morning all!

We'll keep the title, it's still rather catchy :laugh:

I get starting the cycle a day earlier, but I do not understand which Friday i am to do the Fartlek session?. so ideally that would be done next Friday (cycle day 17?) :confused:

Up to now I have had to move juggle the schedule a little to fit in with my routine, for example, I find it tough to train much every second weekend due to family commitments from Friday to Sunday Evening. Club run nights are Mondays and Thursdays which I use for easy run nights generally. Longer time on feet runs I can do Sunday night.

I have been strict on keeping the Core element days in their relative positions on count back from race day according to the programme through the cycles completed so far. Starting the cycle a day earlier may be an issue with how things fall on a weekly basis. Do the Core elements need to be a day later or earlier please?

07-07-15
Easy Run
Time: 34:01
Pace: 5:18 min/km
Dist: 6.42 km

08-07-15
Pace development 6 x1km
[Image: crtsj_8GE54advtbCQy1_ZPhCrWGZpjeiV0CCBz7...ize_mode=2]

Really happy with last nights efforts and good slow warm down means legs are pretty fresh this morning. I heeded advice and slowed the first few reps down to save a bit of effort for last couple!

Darren.
you developing really well, if you recovering quickly, means there is a lot more to come

do note, Day 3 to Day 8 is this most important

thereafter juggling the program is no problem, though to achieve consistency long-term, it is best to try train as much as possible on the schedule, as everything is progressive and with further development many different elements are added

you right about doing the 6 x 1 min f / s on the Friday if racing Sunday

hope that covers everything

TheEd
ps.. yes, I like the catchy title Big Grin
Good day!

Didn't manage to get in the 30min easy yesterday due to family commitments. I went for a lunchtime run today instead for the first time since I used to early morning morning a couple of years ago.

10-07-15
Easy Run
Time: 41:35
Pace: 5:05 min/km
Dist: 8.18 km
Elevation: 86m

Twice round a loop that had two resonable hills. By all accounts my app is lying to me as everytime I looked at my phone it said my pace was 5:18 :mmm: Not sure whether going to be able to do another Easy before Time trial Sunday evening hence the special effort today.

Darren.