Running Information Forums

Full Version: To race is but a dream...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
wow Daz .. plenty of detail .. in the past working with squad of athletes and now MrsDuck and even our son (footie player) .. we work with the ITB stretch sitting on the ground, as well as a few other techniques I use to keep the leg balance in order .. most of the tightness originates from the hip area down the buttocks etc .. I need to look at the new data over time to formulate an opinion, however when working with the athletes in a one on one scenario I am able to see a lot of things visually and can correct them accordingly .. more difficult in forum scenario, so all of this makes for interesting reading

cheers TheEd
Have been off the feet for a few days as pinged an abductor, ironically doing some strength training excercises (given to me by the physio) desigend to prevent injury. I've had a few days off but have been back on the turbo instead as this doesn't agitate the strain. Looking to go for a run tonight. Will report back tomorrow.

If it is easier, as my Garmin profile is set to public, I can link in each activity as well a publish here so a bit more of interpretation can be done from date in relation to pace and elevation at certain points during an activity rather than just the averages.

Darren.
How things going Daz ... any improvement in the niggle?

TheEd
(01-08-2020, 10:41 AM)TheEd Wrote: [ -> ]wow Daz .. plenty of detail .. in the past working with squad of athletes and now MrsDuck and even our son (footie player) .. we work with the ITB stretch sitting on the ground, as well as a few other techniques I use to keep the leg balance in order .. most of the tightness originates from the hip area down the buttocks etc .. I need to look at the new data over time to formulate an opinion, however when working with the athletes in a one on one scenario I am able to see a lot of things visually and can correct them accordingly .. more difficult in forum scenario, so all of this makes for interesting reading

cheers TheEd

(05-08-2020, 08:26 AM)TheEd Wrote: [ -> ]How things going Daz ... any improvement in the niggle?

TheEd

Despite plenty of rest and a couple of massages, I'm afraid to say the two attempts I have made to get going again have not ended well.  I did a nice 10 mile, 2000m elevation, three mountain peak effort in the Mourn Mountains in Northern Ireland back in August which was ok but it seems the issue has got progressively worse with every attempt to get running again. I went out for a run with a few team mates Tuesday week last but completely broke down about 7-8km in and had to hobble back to the car, that was after plenty of ZERO activity rest.

The plan is strength training and Turbo trainer for now, once the issue settles but even excessive walking aggrevates it, like today at work, whereas a while ago it was just the running.

in all honesty I'm at a bit of a loss as to what to do to try and promote recovery now, nothing seems to be working.  Not doing anything is not helping me mentally. Any ideas welcomed and appreciated.

Huh

Darren.

For clalrity, the issue is not the abductor. That healed fine, was very minor. The main issue seems to be where right at the top of the hamstring on my left leg, right under the glute. its hard to pinpoint and therefor treat.
Hi daz, the pattern does show a tendency to over-train .. you get into a decent rhythm but you seem to then over extend yourself, this would often be the same feeling' as training hard for a marathon and then racing hard and feeling 'blown' afterwards

how are your supplements going to compensate for the not eating of meat .. red meat does enhance recovery

is it possible to add some water therapy into your recovery?

in the future, I shall mention 'maybe' when to back off (I had felt previously you were 'maybe' overdoing things) .. getting the rhythm of the cycle via the framework provided is achieved via experience however the athlete needs to be able to pinpoint at what 'point' things don't go well

don't be too hard on yourself, it is a learning process

TheEd
(09-09-2020, 09:23 AM)TheEd Wrote: [ -> ]Hi daz, the pattern does show a tendency to over-train .. you get into a decent rhythm but you seem to then over extend yourself, this would often be the same feeling' as training hard for a marathon and then racing hard and feeling 'blown' afterwards

how are your supplements going to compensate for the not eating of meat .. red meat does enhance recovery

is it possible to add some water therapy into your recovery?

in the future, I shall mention 'maybe' when to back off (I had felt previously you were 'maybe' overdoing things) .. getting the rhythm of the cycle via the framework provided is achieved via experience however the athlete needs to be able to pinpoint at what 'point' things don't go well

don't be too hard on yourself, it is a learning process

TheEd

Made a decision a few weeks ago to go back to a diet which includes meat.  Primarily white meat and fish.  Lean Red meat once a week at the moment.  Still on the Protein shakes and vitamin supps.

I have been contemplating swimming for a while, its just fitting it in that's a problem and that is condusive to not suffering any migraines on the weekends.  I have been engaging in some rehab excercises using resistances bands and targeting the glute/hamstring areas.  Progress is slow but the discomfort in the area is less frequent.

Please tell me straight in the future.  Blunt is best.  I was trying a big step up, too big,  as I was frustrated at what seemed to be a lack of progress.  I felt like I had hit a plateau.

On a plus note, returning to Fitness via the turbo trainer and Zwift platform.  RHR is back down to sub 50, so the base is building again somewhat. Mixing in regular strength training also which is motiviated by now having a couple of friends I personal train.

Ticking over, still itching to run, I know that I have to be patient and ensure this recovers fully but it just doesn't seem to be getting any better at the moment.
Hi Daz .. in my years of experience, when working one one one, I am able to put across to the athlete, the importance of nurturing what natural ability they have. Learning to do less than more and increasing workloads according to the various levels they achieve .. the fresher the athlete, the quicker the results .. increasing workloads and making certain that the athlete absorbs the training at various levels

so .. I shall be more blunt in future if that is what you desire

good luck with the recover and onwards

TheEd
Still on rehab. We think the problem is now hamstring tendonitis at the top of the leg under the buttock. Whilst the issue does not not flare up as bad, it still comes and goes regulary and whenever I "test" it there is an indication that its not ready to be stressed too much yet. Still cycling and keeping somewhat of a base with the resting HR at around 44, FTP is up to 3.7w/kg ish (not that that is relevant here) but it does not affect the issue in any way, whereas walking and running do. I've tried different strength and stretch programmes to help ease and rehabilitate the issue but none have been successful so far. Back to physio tonight for another dose of treatment.

Keep safe and well everyone.

Kind Regards,

Darren.
HI Daz ... any further improvement on things .. best not to 'test' the legs but instead see if you can all of a sudden realise things are OK Smile ..

TheEd
ps.. ask for clarity if need be
Well it seems to be OK when I am running, slowly. I have managed 4 runs of 6km each, Monday, Wednesday and Friday Last week and Monday this week. The first couple of runs were interesting. I felt a bit like a baby elephant and my legs were in extreme protest from about halfway through and after each one, even taking it very easy 5:40 - 6:00 min/km pace. No negative response after each run, hence the continuation. I could feel it a little at certain points on first couple of runs but on a positive note, its eased with each run so recovery in between seems to help helping. I am still cycling on the alternate days which can be anything from a spin to a structured workout or a Zwift race. I Did manage to do a "Base Mileage" ride on the weekend due to working/feeling a bit run down.

Monday's run was very comfortable and as the muscle memory wakes up, the HR and the pace is reacting accordingly and the recovery is a lot quicker already.

The affected area really only tends to "ache" when I sit on it for a period of time. Will be looking to start some gentle strength/rehab/conditioning in the coming days to assit with recovery and injury prevention.

Will post some run data when i get a bit more time.

Darren.