Running Information Forums

Full Version: To race is but a dream...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Will listen to what the body is saying. Will try to get the Main elements of the cycle in at the very least least. It doesn't have to be quick, just completed. if that means missing some of the recovery runs of keeping them down to 20mins, so be it.

Easy does it on this cycle which starts tonight.
Enjoy Daz, slowly slowly will bring you back

TheEd
Was unintentionally naughty last night.

Went out for the 60-70 min easy. Thought I was running at about 6min/km pace but when I completed the route and got back it ended up a bit quicker.

08/05/19
11.88km
1:06:40
5:37/km
Ave HR NA
Max HR NA

This felt a lot slower than it turned out to actually be. I don't know how most of the KM splits were at around the target race pace of 5:30/km with the first km (warming up) and 8th km (big long hill), it felt comfortable and was still feeling a little heavy in the legs from the early morning 10km run on Monday. More or less the same route yesterday with a little tweak.

Legs were tight last night but surprisingly OK this morning. Nothing a good stretch wont sort out. Not sure if I will get out for a short loosener today, I didn't think i would have it in the legs but they feel pretty good, loosened up a lot no unpleasantness today. "Dad duties" may mean I don't get out later, no problem as was planning on doing the 2km session early doors tomorrow before work so should be fresh for that. have charged the watches etc and will see if they still work. The garmin in particular is good for the speed sessions but i think it is shot! Ive just about got the Fitbit working again to get some HR data.

Target pace was initially going to be 5:30/km on the 3x2km I will start at around that and see what is in the tank for the last split. This session hopefully goes OK. I'm a little apprehensive about pushing too hard, you and I both know I cant help myself sometimes.

Darren.
Daz, you showing that there is still some running there under the hood, so you will need to hold back on the days you 'feeling good'

how are you after that run?

TheEd
I was surprising fresh after that run. The legs were pretty fresh yesterday and the rest day was a wiser option to manage "the comeback" effectively. no niggles, a bit of the usual aching but have noted already over last few weeks the legs are just begining to recover a little quicker each time.

This morning it was an early start for the 3x2 session! I was up and out by 05:15 into the glorious countryside and took the 2km warm up nice and steady to the Nature reserve with the 2 km loop for this session. It was pretty flat, trail running. The aim was run the first two intervals at about 05:30min/km pace and see what was left for the last one.

Here is the data:
https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/3634595573

Int 1: peak 137, Ave pace 05:26
Rec: 114
Int 2: Peak 139, Ave pace 05:26
Rec: 126
Int 3: Peak 148, Ave pace 05:07
Rec: 122

Average Interval pace: 5:19.4/km

HR jumped up to 155/156 on the jog home.
Average for session was 134.

Felt fully in control and didn't push or try to do anything silly. Pretty much run to the plan and the last interval wasn't too much stress on the legs but they were feeling it on the warm down on the way home. I did not over exert myself and really enjoyed the session as a result.

On a side note: Resting HR this morning was 48bpm. I haven't weighed myself or taken any Body fat numbers yet. Will do so over weekend.
12/05/19
Cycle day 5.
16km
1:35:25
5:58mins/km
Ave HR: 139
Max HR: 154

Deliberately slow. Was done by about 13/14km but managed to drag myself home. Pace for most part was consistent between 5:49 and 5:57 and slowed them after 12km to 6:05 with the last km being 6:20. I was done!! Glad I didn’t plan to go any further or run any quicker at the start! First long one out for a while so didn’t want to over stress the body. I was feeling it in the groin towards the end of this one, not something I usually have trouble with but it could just be down to the stress of being back in training!

Legs were a little heavy after Friday morning but did feel ok for the most part. Been stretching regularly and maybe get on the rollers but for most part so far the legs are ok and recovering quicker than anticipated after the longer sessions.

Will play next two days by feel, initial thoughts are just a short one Tuesday but we will see how legs are feeling tomorrow.

Enjoy the rest of the weekend everyone!!
Legs and body were good this morning! Resting HR has been constant 48 up until this morning, it raised slightly to 49.

67.2kg
Body fat about 20% according to scales not sure about that though!
BMI 20.2 ish

13/05/19
Cycle day 6
5.62km
32:40
5:48 pace
Ave HR 136
Max HR 149

Yes I felt good enough for a little plod. Not sure I will get out tomorrow, again play it by how I feel. As you can see, pace not taken into consideration. Running by feel, HR seems to be slotting into place on that basis I hope? Not too bothered about all that at the moment. Next task is to find somewhere suitable for these 1km intervals on Wednesday!!
Turns out the settings on the scales had been changed.

Will give more accurate stats (morning stats once per week) but for now when I fixed the problem last night and checked I got the following data:

68.2kg
15.8% body fat
BMI 21
61.7% H2O

Weight hasn’t changed much over last few years at all!!
14/05/19
Cycle day 7
5.62km
32:43
5:49 pace
Ave HR 132
Max HR 141

Felt good today so did the short easy again. Kept it slow, the difference between yesterday and today was remarkable, very easy today, hardly broke a sweat.
Last few days resting HR:

09th 48
10th 48
11th 48
12th 49
13th 50
14th 48
15th 48
16th 49

15/05/19
Cycle day 8
10.65km
1:03:44
5:58 ave pace
Ave HR 134
Max HR 151

3km warm up
5x1km R90:
Int 1: peak HR 143, Ave pace 05:14
Rec HR: 119
Int 2: peak HR 145, Ave pace 05:19
Rec HR: 113
Int 3: peak HR 140, Ave pace 05:18
Rec HR: 115
Int 4: peak HR 148, Ave pace 05:04
Rec HR: 124
Int 5: peak HR 143, Ave pace 04:27
Rec HR: 119

2 km warm Down

Link to Garmin data here: https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/3651606944

Ok, so now for the interesting part. It was HOT when I did this yesterday. very gentle warm up and jogged round to the nature reserve to the trail as there was shade cover to protect me from the heat. Not much wind either.
The aim was 5:20/km pace on the intervals. Being first cycle back the Rests are all at max allowance so 90 seconds between reps. First three were very comfortable. Felt like I could have pushed on a bit but held back and maintained control to get through the session and save whatever was left for last rep. Yes i did increase the pace a little for rep 4, still very comfortable and little extra effort. Rep 5 - what can a say about that time. did not think I had THAT in me but was still very fresh at the start of it, having not pushed too hard too soon in the session. Set off at 5min/km pace and just got progressively quicker and stronger through the rep, the finishing pace of the rep was a near on sprint, I really didn't hold back on this one hence the low ave pace of 4:27, recovery was quick too as you can see from the HR data.
The last rep hurt, which is what I wanted it to do but it didn't hurt too much, I have been i far worse states after these sessions. It wasn't long after i set off on the jog home the HR elevated to 151.

A few things to take from this.
1. You are right TheEd, there is deffo still a bit in the legs, the muscle memory hasn't completely faded!
2. I am fitter than I thought I was.
3. I have a lot more self control than I have shown in previous training cycles in years gone by. I think I have managed myself through the core element section of this cycle very well not pushed too hard too soon, this should make for reasonable return to decent times in due course.

Next decent session is Sunday. I shouldnt have any problem running the 27:30 5km. My question is this. whats the quickest this one needs to be? I am thinking no quicker than 26mins although I dont think i will be setting out to go all out i need a max pace to run to without busting too much out of me for the race Event next Monday.