Running Information Forums

Full Version: Improving 10k with regular training
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
thanks MMS .. have a great weekend

TheEd
Hi Coach,

After 12 sessions of physio, I still complain about that discomfort on my right foot, but only when I place my right leg under that position. It doesn´t bother me while I walk, run, etc. Today I´ll go to the clinic for a MRI. The result is within 10 days only. I´ll see my ortho again on the 21st (Monday). Meanwhile, he said I could keep the easy runs (3-4 times a week).

I´m a bit disappointed now. It´s been almost 4 weeks of treatment and I don´t see any progress. My ortho said there´s a chance that what I have is nothing. Like a pain that only appears when I place my leg in that position and has no interference on my running. After I discovered it, the fact I´m forcing this position every day and a few times a day, might be responsible for it. But, lets wait for the results.

Hope everything is well for you.

Tks!

MMS
be patient MMS .. the achilles is one of the more tricky areas

hang in there

TheEd
Hi Coach,

in fact, it´s not the achilles as we fist suspected, it´s the posterior tibial tendon, my ortho said.

The MRI´s result is tomorrow, not within 10 days. But, I´ll only be able to see my ortho on the 21st. Let´s hope for the best.

Yesterday I had another 30min easy. I was happy because I still don´t feel anything and felt great while running. Good news was a "colder" temperature, around 20C, so my AHR was lower, 145, closer to that one before my injury.

Feeling happier today! :great:

Tks for the support, it´s been really helpfull.

MMS
that is a very obscure injury

have they mentioned what they consider caused it?

Cheers

TheEd
ps.. good to hear things are looking up
After my first appointment, he said that it could be a consequence of my training routine (6 days/45km per week, normally). I don´t quite agree with that, but...

I wasn´t feeling tired/exausted/etc after any session.
Build up was realy good. At any time felt heavy legs, etc. The 2000´s were tough, also de 1000´s, but as much they should be.

The first exam (ultrasound) didn´t show anything anusual. My hope is the MRI will show what I have, if I have anything.

It a mystery, so far...

Keep you posted.

MMS
Hi Coach,

Yesterday I got the MRI result (images and report). But, like I said, my ortho will only be able to attend me on the 21st.

The MRI´s report alerts for a light posterior tibial tendonitis. It confirms what the ortho suspected. Also a discrete alteration of the calcaneonavicular ligament (Spring) (is it the achilles?). Both injuries are considered minor, according to the report. This is what I read. Everything else is ok. If you´re interest on the MRI images, I can send you a private message with their links on my Dropbox public folder, so you can download them.

In your experience, how could I get injured in two different places?! :confused:

Perhaps a little more detailed feedback might help.

Running Shoes: I started last year (September) using an Adidas A3. It was bought in 2006 for my future father-in-law but he used it only twice and didn´t like it (it was brand new almost). March this year, I bought a Nike Pegasus +25 and started alternating both. But the Nike gave me a black nail on my left foot (I have what´s considered Morton´s toe, not an extreme case). So, during Build Up I only ran with the Adidas, in order to get my nail healed. And it worked. When I started the sub 40 program, I started using the Nike again.

Running stride type: I went to a sporting goods store and used one of those machines to determine the type of my stride. There, we concluded it was a regular. No pronation or supination. I checked the bottom of both shoes, and the marks are consistent with a regular stride.

Stretching: I´m not a big fan of it. Used to do 3-4 min before and after any session, basic movements mostly.

Warm Up/ Cool Down: At least 5-7 minutes before and after any quality session (1km).

Daily Routine: I go to work by bus, but I come home walking. It´s 4km long and it usually takes me 40min. It´s faster than taking a bus home because of the traffic jam. The park where I run is located 1,5Km from where I live. I walk this distance before starting any session. And normally, it takes me 30-45 min to leave home to practice after I arrive from work. So, before a session, I would´ve walked 5,5km within the last 1:30.

So, I´d like to hear your thoughts. I know it´s a little complicated because this is an online coaching, but you are way more experienced than me.

By the way, I really appreciate your help! :notworthy:

Thanks.

MMS.

Ps: Sorry for the long post. :o:
Hi MMS .. from my experience I will go in to what I think has happened, please realise this is an opinion and due to me not seeing the nature of the injury my opinion is based upon your feedback and what I have read

I can recall quite well when you first started having niggles .. it came before the race and we went towards the race unsure of how things would go

from a positive angle you got a PB .. you may have avoided running the race but you may still have got this problem

in going back to when you first had the niggles can you recall whether your calf muscles were stiff before the niggles started

one thing I have learnt from the online coaching, is that maybe I should consider removing all the 400m sessions unless they can be done on a tartan track, as a few persons have complained about muscle stiffness after this session

can you recall whether you had calf stiffness back then

will go through this by the numbers before chatting further

another thing is the shoes .. Pegasus is a curve lasted shoe .. what last is the other pair you running in?

Over to you

TheEd
Hi Coach...

I don´t recall any stiffness after the 400m (in fact, 500m) session. But I first noted the niggles the following day.

About the other pair of shoes: I did some online search and apparently the Adidas A3 line is designed for runners to control pronation. The Pegasus was recommended after I took that test.

From this, is it possible to conclude that the Adidas might be responsible?

MMS
nope .. it is not a pinpoint however it could be a contribution

the Pegasus allows your foot to roll naturally and the other Adidas pair does not

if you have this with the fact that your calf muscles are tight you can easily place the area under stress

you then raced and achieved a PB if you tried to return to running too quickly the niggle moves from acute to chronic and this is what kind of niggle injury you sitting with right now

this however is not fatal and the biggest recommendation is not to run in the Adidas pair from now

and yes, you are able to pick referral pain in 2 different spots

what happens when a person's calf muscles are tight is that the ankle is not as stable and is then subject to unnecessary pressures

see if you are able to balance on the sore leg .. one one leg .. stretch your arms out and see how much you wobble

if you don't wobble much then start again except this time have your eyes closed

let me know how it goes

Cheers

TheEd