Running Information Forums

Full Version: Improving 10k with regular training
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
lots of progress MMS

who would have dreamed running a 19:30 as a paced run

Smile

onwards

THeEd
Hi TheEd,

5k time-trial successively done in 18'50". It was pretty much what I wanted. :great:

Jun21st - 5k time-trial
Temp:17C

KM|Time
01|03:47
02|03:46
03|03:46
04|03:47
05|03:44
Tot|18:50

I was able to control the pace all the way. It was a very hard run!

Cheers,

MMS
this is very very nice development MMS

the closer you get to 18:30, the easier going sub 39 minutes will become

hearty congrats

TheEd
Hi TheEd,

Right now I’m taking things easy. At first, after my easy run on Wednesday last week, I felt I was getting a cold (the wife had a cold back then), but at the same time my right foot started to ache, and it seems to be (pretty sure) the beginning of a plantar fasciitis. I’m still able to run easy, but quality sessions are out for now.

I’m taking good care of the foot and hopefully it will go away soon. Right now, I’m not quite sure what to expect from July’s 19th race.

Will keep you posted.

MMS.
you will be OK for the 19th, get the foot looked after

everything is in place

TheEd
ps.. count how many weeks you have been training for, after the off period etc
Hi TheEd,

I had my foot looked and it's plantar fasciitis. I'm already taking care of it at the physio, but still not sure if I'll be able to race in 12 days. No running this week, only easy biking. Will keep you posted.

Here's what I've done so far this year.

from Jan - Feb: increased my weekly km from 25km to 45km (8weeks, 10% increase every week)

Then 3 cycles (only 2 time-trials / traveled on vacation)
1 easy week (45km @ 5'20" average)
1 cycle / 10k race PB
1 easy week (45km @ 5'20" average)
1 cycle / 5k time-trial PB
After this, ran 1h easy and then 40min easy when my foot started aching.

Cheers.

MMS
OK .. at least you have the diagnosis and hopefully with treatment you bounce back quickly

you should still be OK for the race in 2 weeks time

TheEd
Hi TheEd,

tried to post before but couldn't log in.

Wanted you to know that I didn't race last Saturday. My foot is almost 100% healed and decided not to risk my recovery.

Since my running has been inconsistent over the past 3 weeks, I'll keep things easy also biking and build up to 1h runs over the next weeks. Will return to speed sessions in September, after my vacation.

Now I'll enjoy some easy running and prepare for some hard running to come. :great:

So far, 2014 has been a great year. Much more to come. Wink

Cheers.

MMS
good stuff to hear you positive .. do a chart of when the problem occurred

and then see how many weeks into training, wht in your opinion caused the niggle to start and how long you have been running in the same pair of shoes for

once you have this balanced you can then avoid this in the future

you in control

TheEd
ps.. let me know if you have login problems, when on FB
Hi TheEd,

it's likely that I got this due to overtraining. Although I put a few easy weeks after a set of training cycles (3 cycles + 1 easy week / 1 cycle + 1 easy week / 1 cycle + 1 easy week / niggle), they weren't enough.

It looks like my limit is 4 cycles before starting Off Period + Build up. I'll keep that in mind.

Foot is definitely better, but I'm not 100% confident yet about my running. So, I have a MRI scheduled to this Wed. Will see the result and work from there.

I was able to run a few times on a treadmill but I've biking reasonably. Also introduced a few strengthen exercises for the foot on my everyday routine.

Right now enjoying my "running vacations" :yes: and organizing my 2015 calendar, when I want to start racing a couple of half marathons.

Keep you posted.

Cheers!

MMS