Running Information Forums

Full Version: Improving 10k with regular training
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I was checking my training and so far this year from January 5th:

A sequence of 3 3-week cycles, all of them ending with time-trials. One week easy before a sequence of 2 3-week cycles (time-trials) and 1 2-week cycle ending with my first 10k race (May 11th, PB 43:08). After that, a 2-week cycle ending with a 10k race (May 25th, PB 41:31). After it, a 3-week cycle (last week only easy runs) ending with a 5k race (June 16th). Then, 2-week cycle ending with a 10k race last Saturday (June 29th).

It means 24 weeks of hard training with only 2 weeks of easy runs.

I´m still processing everything but I believe I might be tired. That´s why I´m planning the next 2 weeks easy, Off Period style, and then a new 3-week cycle with a 10k race on August 8th.

How does it sound?
do 1 week easy and then throw in 1 week build-up, the last week of the build up

hopefully you get to regenerate and come down and come back refreshed

the 10km after a 10km PB is often a difficult one because the expectations are so high

I do believe you have a sub 41 minute 10km sitting in you waiting for the moment to happen

so be positive towards yourself, as it simply needs a little more time before it comes out

TheEd
Sounds like a good plan.

I´ll go through this first week and then we can discuss if/when to do a time-trial by the end of next week.

Hopefully, my sub41 will come next month.

Keep you posted.

MMS
great MMS .....
3 very easy runs (close to 6min/km) so far this week and since yesterday looks like a cold is getting into me (first in 13 months). Still nothing to worry about, just feeling lazy. :whistle:

Cheers

MMS
you guys are mid-winter now?

recover well

TheEd
Yes, but it's our tropical winter: when it's cold, it's around 15C here in São Paulo. :yes:

I'm already feeling better today, not 100%, but better.

Cheers.

MMS

Update: I mistakenly wrote that the race was August 8th. It's August 3rd and we an keep the same schedule.
great MMS ...
Except from having to work long hours last Wed and yesterday, and because of that I missed Wed´s run, everything is fine.

I didn´t run this morning, needed to stay in bed more :whistle:, so I´m considering a time-trial tomorrow. By the way, I´m kind of eager to do that as I already miss the speed sessions. Smile

Cheers

MMS
enjoy

:yes:

TheEd